Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sleepwalking back to the Championship

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I agree with the content of the o/p but not the headline thread title. I cannot imagine C H, Tony Bloom etc "sleepwalking" while in charge of The Albion.

I would stamp down on any player who demonstrated hero worship of the opposition though. That IS unprofessional.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's not just about whether it's "acceptable", it's also a question of "Which available manager would be best placed to take this set of players up?" - I suspect if you put that to a vote Hughton would win by an absolute country mile.

Seeing Carvalhal and Lambert get Prem jobs recently suggests there are bugger all good managers out there waiting for a Championship job.

Hughton's not really been given the tools to keep us up. Years of penny-pinching on player rates will always catch up with you in the end, and no short-lived Serial Loser English Manager bounce will paper over the cracks for very long. Why give losers like Pardew or Big Sam yet another soft payday? In the end, it's TB's club, he can do with it what he wants. He can choose to have a nice comfy middle-tier middle-class family-oriented club, or he can spend big and wisely and try and mix it with the big boys. Don't see that he can do both.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Afraid I don't agree with the sentiments in the OP and, for that matter some of the later posts!

Very odd attitude regarding book signings. If it were a peer of yours then surely it's mutual respect (assuming this Eric has heard of you and seen, and appreciated your work). Alternatively, if when you are a relative newcomer in the world of photography and met a world renowned photographer why would you not be pleased if they would sign a book for you. On the pitch the players don't appear to be treating the EPL stars any different but off pitch why can't they show the world class players respect? I'd be more worried if they were seeking selfies and autographs from Robbie Savage!

As for the team, my gut feeling is that we are going down. However, if we play like we did on Saturday it will be more palatable as we were putting up a fight which hasn't been apparent of late. Are we sleepwalking into the championship, no. If we do go down, after Saturday I'm confident we'll go down fighting.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Hughton's not really been given the tools to keep us up. Years of penny-pinching on player rates will always catch up with you in the end

The idea that Tony Bloom has been "penny pinching" all these years is one of the most ludicrous things i've ever heard.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The idea that Tony Bloom has been "penny pinching" all these years is one of the most ludicrous things i've ever heard.

At least have the good grace to try and earn your club payments (and not insult our intelligence) by trying to defend what I made perfectly clear in my post i.e "penny pinching on player rates".

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
At least have the good grace to try and earn your club payments (and not insult our intelligence) by trying to defend what I made perfectly clear in my post i.e "penny pinching on player rates".

Albion paid £40m on wages last year and TB effectively pays em given the losses were £40m as well. I understand perfectly what you're saying.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

If ensuring we don't make the mistakes of the past by using a structured financial plan is penny pinching fair enough. It's still a stupid statement.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Far be it from me to defend serial arse-licker Jem, but he is right here - you're spouting some total garbage.

Hughton has been reasonably well backed, but there are no guarantees. Penny pinching? "Spend what it takes"? WTF? The real issue is that we were always going to struggle to recruit the right players at sustainable wages because this is our first season. What have Huddersfield or Newcastle done that is any different? And in case you hadn't noticed, none of these three teams are in the relegation zone anyway.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If ensuring we don't make the mistakes of the past by using a structured financial plan is penny pinching far enough. It's still a stupid statement.

The PL has moved to a WAY new other financial level now.

Seems to me that TB is now in much the same situation that DK was at Withdean: unwilling/unable to go with the prevailing market rates.

Huff and puff as much as you like, but that's where we currently stand.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I've no idea, that's why I asked.

Is it top 3 , mid table or one of the lowest in the division?

Its likely to be top third/top 8 in line with previous seasons although TB increased the playing budget substantially for Hughton from 15/16 onwards. (not every club has published their accounts for 16/17 yet so hard to say. )
And Albion competed in the Champ with parachute payment clubs so unrealistic to expect them to be top 3 etc.. Albion's wages, whilst high, were also inflated by promotion bonuses last season as well.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The PL has moved to a WAY new other financial level now.

Seems to me that TB is now in much the same situation that DK was at Withdean: unwilling/unable to go with the prevailing market rates.

Huff and puff as much as you like, but that's where we currently stand.

I can't be bothered to find it but [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] posted a very insightful post the other day that showed that despite the new riches in the PL, we don't end up with very much of the £100m after current costs etc - £10m if memory serves me correctly.

I'm not the one huffing and puffing, you are - all because you don't appreciate TB trying to make the club sustainable.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
If ensuring we don't make the mistakes of the past by using a structured financial plan is penny pinching fair enough. It's still a stupid statement.

Valid point, it worked great for Blackpool spending very wisely and keeping a very structured approach to their incoming players, you can see this by their success in the top flight on the pitch right now. God forbid we do a Bournemouth and go balls to the wall to try to stay up, look at the state of them and their massive collapse into the lower leagues they have experienced.

Oh wait, that's the other way around. If you can't beat them join them. Spend whatever is required to stay up.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Sorry, don’t agree with any of this. You might WANT it to, but none of it makes the slightest difference to what happens on the pitch. That’s all that matters to me. I don’t pay to look at what other fans are wearing or doing, and couldn’t care less if players swap shirts.

I’m amazed by the trivial things some people get upset about! Do what you think is right; ignore all the unimportant peripheral stuff that others do.

You are just as unqualified to suggest that it doesn't make any difference as he is to suggest that it does.

I would be inclined to think if our players are going into games in awe/fearing the opposition then it most definitely will have a detrimental effect. I would much rather our players had an attitude to spoil, hurt and harry these 'world class' players than give them their due respect on the pitch and off it. It'd be nice if all our fans adopted a similar slant, at least for 90mins (some struggle with that alone). I also think Hudds atmosphere has probably played a part in gaining them a couple of points at least.

They'll no doubt be some absolute bellend ready to chime in informing me that they are 'professionals' and this kind of thing doesn't affect them. They are just (largley impressionable) people for ****s sake, not robots, no matter their media stance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here