Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sideline photography at the Amex

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Still over priced. Teaching can help to improve pic taking but a lot of it is inherent. I'd love to know the opinion of Roz.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Good gear helps!

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
It certainly isn't overpriced.
It can cost you that much and more just to hire the right gear for this sort of work.

They are throwing in the lenses, lunch, snacks and tuition.

Sports photography isn't inherent or instinctive, it's a learnt or taught technique.

I take photos for a living, and spent many years shooting football including us very occasionally, and yet I'm still tempted to give this a go.
Probably won't though as I don't think I could cope with somebody showing me how to use a camera.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I've done a fair bit of sports photography and my main concern is whether the 'sideline access' is everyone squeezed into a tiny area in one corner, or some ridiculously overcrowded and poorly-located place. I have my own kit so borrowing stuff isn't an issue for me - I just want to do it for my own satisfaction... but £199 is money I don't have unless reports of amazing access and opportunities abound. Even then I'd be haggling (gourd-style).

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I've done a fair bit of sports photography and my main concern is whether the 'sideline access' is everyone squeezed into a tiny area in one corner, or some ridiculously overcrowded and poorly-located place. I have my own kit so borrowing stuff isn't an issue for me - I just want to do it for my own satisfaction... but £199 is money I don't have unless reports of amazing access and opportunities abound. Even then I'd be haggling (gourd-style).

Is a fair point.
Rammed in like sardines would be no fun.

Does present a rather unique opportunity for a photography enthusiast to capture some great Albion images though.

One of those things that money can't usually buy!

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Looks like this weekend's one has either been withdrawn, reached a registration cut off point, or is full.

If anyone knows of someone who's participating could you please ask them to report their experiences here? I'd read such reports with great interest... while shopping around for someone who wants me to give them all the photos I take, in exchange for paying my fee. ;-)

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Still over priced. Teaching can help to improve pic taking but a lot of it is inherent. I'd love to know the opinion of Roz.

I dont think its over priced. Have you seen how much 400mm - 600mm lenses cost to hire for the day?

Park will put on a good day too. They would have thought a lot about the pricing and Im sure its fair.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Perhaps you can afford £200 a day then.

Racek

Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Perhaps you can afford £200 a day then.

Never said I could. You said it was over priced, but you mean over priced for you? 100 quid a day to rent a pro lens. You will have the use of 400mm or 600mm with the latest bodies.

That with lunch and a tour of the stadium, starting at 10.30am and finished at 6pm.

You also get pros that have years of experience giving you some tips. Over priced? Dont think so.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Trouble is I've already got a 400mm f2.8l telephoto, two 1D bodies and a 70-200mm f2.8l zoom. Great to have but since getting them life has changed and I'm now pretty bl00dy skint and while the opportunity is great, I don't want to pay to rent kit I've already got.
I'm never happy...

Racek

Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Trouble is I've already got a 400mm f2.8l telephoto, two 1D bodies and a 70-200mm f2.8l zoom. Great to have but since getting them life has changed and I'm now pretty bl00dy skint and while the opportunity is great, I don't want to pay to rent kit I've already got.
I'm never happy...

Fair enough. I use to have a press pass at Withdean. It was quite good as you could walk anywhere around the pitch. I would think that you will be given an area for this event as people will be sharing gear.

Why dont you ask for a press pass. Ive always found them easy to get.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
The Dataco control of league licences is pretty rigid. You can't have one until you have 100 nationally published photos (hard-copy media). Of course, you can't achieve that without getting a sideline pass first. Without a newspaper or agency to sponsor you you're out of luck.

See? Never happy...

Racek

Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
I went to the local papers to get it. Took pictures of the albion and the Eastbourne tennis. Saying this, I dont reallly enjoy shooting the football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here