Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa wants out?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think part of the problem is the club do a very good impression of sitting around doing nothing when it comes to signing players.

I guess the question is less about what the club says, rather what you believe.

Do you:

a) Believe the club is genuinely doing nothing to sign new players, or

b) Believe that they are working behind the scenes to find the best that is affordable and within budget?

For me it's b). The key thing is the best player within budget aspect. It will take longer to identify and attract players when we're taking our budget seriously and I'm happy to wait. I'll judge the clubs signings when we get to Sept 1st.

On Ulloa, he's just using his agent to say indirectly, "I want to go". However, we've seen in the past that this type of tactic has little of no impact on Bloom. If Leicester, or Sunderland or whomever fronts up the £10m we're allegedly looking for, he'll go. If not, he'll be playing for the Albion next season and no press leaks, agent comments or transfer maneouvres will change that!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Do you:

b) Believe that they are working behind the scenes to find the best that is affordable and within budget?

For me it's b). The key thing is the best player within budget aspect. It will take longer to identify and attract players when we're taking our budget seriously and I'm happy to wait. I'll judge the clubs signings when we get to Sept 1st.

On Ulloa, he's just using his agent to say indirectly, "I want to go". However, we've seen in the past that this type of tactic has little of no impact on Bloom. If Leicester, or Sunderland or whomever fronts up the £10m we're allegedly looking for, he'll go. If not, he'll be playing for the Albion next season and no press leaks, agent comments or transfer maneouvres will change that!

I agree. Be assured Burke with Bloom's backing will have a plan in place to replace Ulloa should it come to that, and the deals will be being set up back-to-back to minimise the risk. Ulloa looked distinctly disinterested at Lewes, but the good aspect of the transfer wi9ndow is system is that once the deadline has passed the speculation has to take a back seat until January.

PG

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

Do you:

Bridcutt saga?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I agree. Be assured Burke with Bloom's backing will have a plan in place to replace Ulloa should it come to that, and the deals will be being set up back-to-back to minimise the risk. Ulloa looked distinctly disinterested at Lewes, but the good aspect of the transfer wi9ndow is system is that once the deadline has passed the speculation has to take a back seat until January.

PG

Just like we had to replace Barnes, of course. :rolleyes: Forgive me if I am a tad cynical.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

PG

Don't forget it took us 18 (EIGHTEEN) months to replace Murray.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

PG

And risk the chance of having a potentially very unhappy player for 1/2 a season because u blocked his move by being Greedy?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

It really didn't. Poyet thought he'd replaced him with CMS and Hoskins. He was wrong.

*EDIT* I see you've slightly edited your point to one I agree with more but my point still stands. We brought in players but not a like for like or improvement.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It really didn't. Poyet thought he'd replaced him with CMS and Hoskins. He was wrong.

*EDIT* I see you've slightly edited your point to one I agree with more but my point still stands. We brought in players but not a like for like or improvement.

It took us 18 months to replace Murray. Regardless of what you think of the other players brought in, that is true.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

We identified Ulloa long before he signed, it was the passport that held it up. I'm sure the club had others lined up but felt it was worth waiting for Ulloa.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It took us 18 months to replace Murray. Regardless of what you think of the other players brought in, that is true.

I'm not sure we've ever adequately replaced Murray. I don't think Ulloa is as much a complete player. I have fond memories of Murray holding it up, drawing actual fouls rather than diving and playing lovely little layoffs. Are they rose tinted?

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013

Absolutely agree with this. Both Hoskins and CMS were on the face of it, very decent replacements for Murray. They had outstanding goal-scoring records in League 1 and remember, Murray was untested in the Championship.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Are they rose tinted?

Not entirely. The Ulloa of the first few months with us was a special player, but he was also playing in a superb side brimming with confidence.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Generally I think we all know how it goes when a Premier League club comes in for a Championship player, the numbers are just on a different scale.

Which is why it was very refreshing to see Craig Bryson turn down promoted Burnley and stay at Derby instead.

Derby are a huge club, bigger than Burnley, they had a great season even if it ended in bitter disappointment, he personally had a great season, and they deserved to go up not only over the whole year but in the play-off final itself.

It is a rare example these days of the bond between player and club being stronger than just the monthly cheque.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I think part of the problem is the club do a very good impression of sitting around doing nothing when it comes to signing players.

Relax.

There'll be lots of fans at lots of clubs saying the same as you.

I think the club have learnt a lesson from rushing in and splurging big money on player like CMS, Buckley & Hoskins.

For what it's worth, Palarse had a last minute wholesale import of players last year and it didn't do them too much harm.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Generally I think we all know how it goes when a Premier League club comes in for a Championship player, the numbers are just on a different scale.

Which is why it was very refreshing to see Craig Bryson turn down promoted Burnley and stay at Derby instead.

Derby are a huge club, bigger than Burnley, they had a great season even if it ended in bitter disappointment, he personally had a great season, and they deserved to go up not only over the whole year but in the play-off final itself.

It is a rare example these days of the bond between player and club being stronger than just the monthly cheque.

Burnley may well be playing a similar game to Blackpool. Perhaps the increase he was offered wasn't huge, short term and full of "clauses"

Even so I agree it's the exception

I just can't see Ulloa staying ... he'll want out to a decent payday and who can blame him? I'd imagine discussions are going on somewhere ... we generally get to see very little until the very end

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Bridcutt saga?

They paid our asking price or close enough. We got around £3m for what has turned out out to be a reserve defensive midfielder which, I think, ended up as decent business!

The point still stands around either paying our price of getting nowhere.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm disappointed with the lack of investment thus far but signings are on their way. He needs to be patient like the fans. He's had a lucky escape with Sammy Lee...he should be grateful for that, alone.

It is different for the club and the fans though. Bloom doesn't have to rush to the Prem, we clearly saw that last January, and the fans will always be fans. We have got 3, 5, 10 years plus to get to the Prem but players need to get there as quick as possible.

We have to be patient, but Ulloa, or any other player for that matter, cannot afford to be especially when other opportunities arise.

I won't begrudge him going especially if get good cash for him to reinvest on more up and coming young players with good poteential.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Derby are different to us, they have a strong squad and have retained their manager so they are looking to start their season as favourites for promotion. Us on the other hand are more or less starting from scratch with many unknowns.

In the ambition spectrum, on the face of it Derby have proven that they are more Prem ready than us, and their players believe that Derby want promotion as much as they do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here