Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glasto 2016

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I was wondering where Chas was, he holds the whole thing together.
I am very 50/50 with Madness, One Step Beyond, Madness and a few others are good songs,but yesterday i thought they were awful, never liked Suggs very much a very poor front man, but they always end with the brilliant Night Boat To Cairo which leaves you wanting more.
Also i am not against Adele, she has a great voice but more Albert Hall than Glastonbury for me it did not seem right.
Looking forward to ELO although very soon after the Radio 2 gig still worth watching again.
One of the best so far for me was St Paul & The Broken Bones, never heared of them, watched them on You Tube, OMG the lead singer was is like a white Al Green, right up my street.

St Paul and the Broken Bones are fantastic, who'd have thought that a guy that looks like Alan Carr could sound like Otis, Al Green and JB. Saw them two years ago at SXSW and couldn't wait to see them on the big stage at Glastonbury. ELO were very nice, all those hits! Looking forward to Beck, PJ Harvey and Earth Wind and Fire. Not too bothered about Coldplay.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As soon as I get a chance to see St Paul I will be there, totally blew me away.
Surely that is one of the main points of Glastonbury, to project relatively unknown bands to the masses through all those people there and millions watching through the media, something John Peel used to do on a smaller scale but to great effect.
I also love the way Glastonbury puts old school bands like ELO on to not only entertain those who have always liked them but also younger generations.
Something for everyone in an atmosphere of togetherness and love of all types of music, must be quite something to be there, I just can't do smelly toilets, otherwise I would give it a go.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
As soon as I get a chance to see St Paul I will be there, totally blew me away.

They're playing Concorde 2 tonight. It's the last gig on the UK leg of their small European tour. I posted a thread about them 2-3 weeks ago; they're brilliant; I've seen then 3 times on the last month!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Wonderful blasts from my past, great set by Jeff Lynne.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wonderful blasts from my past, great set by Jeff Lynne.

You see, I'm sat here watching the re-run on the BBC, and thinking that the music has been fine (their sound is still absolutely spot on) but it feels a little flat to me. The arena's not packed out by any means.

Jeff Lynne is obviously a good musical performer, but he's not exactly got the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand here, has he? Perhaps it's the rain, either that or they're all just waiting for Mr Blue Sky.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
You see, I'm sat here watching the re-run on the BBC, and thinking that the music has been fine (their sound is still absolutely spot on) but it feels a little flat to me. The arena's not packed out by any means.

Jeff Lynn is obviously a good musical performer, but he's not exactly got the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand here, has he? Perhaps it's the rain, either that or they're all just waiting for Mr Blue Sky.

Yeah, not sure I'd be jumping up and down if I were a youngster hearing these tunes for the first time, but the rain is a real bummer.

Edit: here comes Mr Blue Sky!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, not sure I'd be jumping up and down if I were a youngster hearing these tunes for the first time, but the rain is a real bummer.

Ah, it's Mr Blue Sky time, and it's as if the audience have been magically reanimated :lol:

(As an aside, I wonder how much Jeff spends on Just For Men, by the way, as I'm willing to bet that hair and beard aren't entirely au naturel :lol: He looks disturbingly like one of Chas n Dave also).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
been great going down memory lane with ELO - 1977 Out of the Blue album. Happy days.

Jeff isn't exactly a great rapport builder with the crowd - i will admit.

That was my only gripe. Thought the music sounded pretty good. But he wasn't really engaging with the audience like- whether people are fans of her music or not- Adele did last night.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Good shout for next year's Legend slot - Roy Wood. :rock:

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
That was my only gripe. Thought the music sounded pretty good. But he wasn't really engaging with the audience like- whether people are fans of her music or not- Adele did last night.

seen a few of the more recent concerts on the telly box and he is the same in all of them. saw him interviewed after - he actually seems quite shy. bit odd in his line of work but they were never a live band tbh (i believe!).

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011

Really? I thought Adele's efforts at engaging with the audience were cringeworthy.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Héloïse Letissier - crazy, cool, genius. The highlight of Glastonbury has already happened this year.

This! Check out Christine and the Queens if you missed her. Massive in France already apparently.

Thought ChVrches were great too.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Agreed - Adele's music does nothing for me, but I loved her between-song spiels. As a spectator, so much more fun than trying to make it uncomfortable and alienating people (eg like Kanye did).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here