Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1st car...

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
I have recently bought an 11 year old Lexus IS200 and am stunned by the build quality and gather most Toyotas have a similar quality.

Build quality is superb. Alas, I made a mistake in buying an IS220D.......mechanicaly a piece of Rhino doo doo. I gather the petrol equivalent (IS250) is the monkeys chunkys.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Ford fiesta - Hyundai accent - rover coupe - Toyota celica

Alfie22

Mar 12, 2008
Get some insurance quotes and find out what you're dealing with insurance wise for some specific makes & models. If you buy a car with lower mileage (6000-8000 a year) with full service history, all the old mots etc etc, you shouldn't have a problem. Tyres & brakes will always wear out and you must religiously get it serviced regardless of its age most 8ish year old cars will serve you well.

She got quoted something like £750 on a £8k Corsa (one owner, 15,000 miles) which was not what we were expecting because people were saying "new driver...3k insurance..." I guess that's what we're taking our lead from.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No, not what was yours, but Mrs Alfie22 has just passed her driving test (in a Corsa) so we will be looking to buy our first car. She's keen on a similar size car as the Corsa and we have to consider space for a couple of youngsters but we literally know nothing about car buying in general.

Any recommendations of good dealers & deals or things to avoid greatly appreciated. It will be on HP with budget I guess a maximum of £8k - although again, we don't really know if that is reasonable for an "as new" job.

Thanks
Alfie

For that kind of money, you COULD go for a brand new Dacia Sandero. They start at £5,995 but by the time you put a few bits and pieces on it (the base model is, well, basic) it'll probably be about £8k. They are not a bad little car to drive, either - and you're getting a decent sized car with all the benefits of buying new, so you have peace of mind about warranty, etc. Depreciation is not as bad as you might think, either - much less than others in its segment.

If you are going for something a bit older, then you can't go wrong with a Ford Focus. Go for the newest one, with the lowest mileage for £8,000 if that's what you're looking for. Brooklands Cars in Lancing are a good place to go, as they deal purely in Motability cars, which means they are very well maintained and serviced, and normally very low mileage. They also, in my experience, worked out a lot cheaper than other places.

Good luck.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Don't buy anything from Citreon, Peugeot, Renault or Fiat.
The apparent great value at the beginning, will be eaten up by niggly repairs and faults, and horrendous further depreciation.

Couldn't agree more. Anything Japanese (sadly ) and consider Korean ( Hyundai or Kia) not quite Jap quality but flippin' close. Shame we don't make a decent car currently but hey-ho there it is.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
For that kind of money, you COULD go for a brand new Dacia Sandero. They start at £5,995 but by the time you put a few bits and pieces on it (the base model is, well, basic) it'll probably be about £8k. They are not a bad little car to drive, either - and you're getting a decent sized car with all the benefits of buying new, so you have peace of mind about warranty, etc. Depreciation is not as bad as you might think, either - much less than others in its segment.

If you are going for something a bit older, then you can't go wrong with a Ford Focus. Go for the newest one, with the lowest mileage for £8,000 if that's what you're looking for. Brooklands Cars in Lancing are a good place to go, as they deal purely in Motability cars, which means they are very well maintained and serviced, and normally very low mileage. They also, in my experience, worked out a lot cheaper than other places.

Good luck.
But it's a Renault so it will be (cheap) chud.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here