Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It does seem extraordinary that some on here are so short sighted and believe that having less people on the trains and in the stations will somehow make their journey better, cheaper and safer.

Might reduce the number of trains cancelled due to unavailable staff? Perhaps some of the guards could retrain to push the buttons in the drivers cabs... two birds with one stone?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How anyone can support reducing staff levels on the railway just so faceless shareholders can make more money is beyond me. Savings will not go on reducing ticket prices.

This. It's a completely puerile blinkered way of thinking. Sort of genuinely feel sorry for anybody who thinks that way, because their wider worldview is going to be so narrow as to be not worth having. I blame the Tory-voting parents.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It's just knee-jerk stupidity and selfishness. Until it's their own livelihood that is being sold down the river to service shareholder/owner greed. Just check out some of the BHS headlines of recent days to see how the current and previous owners of BHS have been feathering their own nests WAY beyond anything that is reasonable to ANYONE, let alone the near-minimum-wage workers responsible for generating that snouts-in-the-trough payday. Workers are just so much cannon-fodder to the current regime, even though it's only their dumb compliance and refusal to stand up to their greedhead employers that keeps this whole circus running. Said it bevfore, say it again: wouldn't happen in France.

Not a lot does happen in France as they are always on strike.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
This. It's a completely puerile blinkered way of thinking. Sort of genuinely feel sorry for anybody who thinks that way, because their wider worldview is going to be so narrow as to be not worth having. I blame the Tory-voting parents.

It is the usual attitude of selfishness, not my job who cares ?, my family are healthy who cares ?, etc . They forget one day it will be THEIR job and THEIR family who will need help and then you will hear them SQUEAL

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is the usual attitude of selfishness, not my job who cares ?, my family are healthy who cares ?, etc . They forget one day it will be THEIR job and THEIR family who will need help and then you will hear them SQUEAL

Exactly. Thankfully Mrs Freakout has a job which can be inconvenienced for just one day. The railway workers might not be so lucky.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Exactly. Thankfully Mrs Freakout has a job which can be inconvenienced for just one day. The railway workers might not be so lucky.

She has not been inconvenienced just one day, as it has been over two days actually. with more strike action planned.

We will agree to disagree, there is no point in arguing with anyone on here with blinkered points of views, it has nothing to do with voting Tory either as I don't vote Tory,UKIP or another right wing party. I just simply disagree with the unions actions, they seem to use bully boy tactics just like the fat cat bosses. One of my best friends is union official for the underground and he tells me all sorts, which makes me uneasy with the way they operate. I know the unions do good and have a valid point, it just seems the people who get inconvenienced the most are the fare paying public.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hopefully your wife never gets sick or assaulted on a train cos there will be no one to help her if GTR get their way.

Actually she did get assaulted in February this year, and had a phone stolen (along with another passenger) whilst on the train with a guard on, who could not be found by passengers until the train arrived in Brighton.

So that helped did it not, anyway there are countless incidents on trains with guards, that get sorted out by passengers rather than guards who are not interested or simply dont care.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Major safety incident this morning with a poorly trained manager doing a professional's job, hopefully this will be investigated and proper action taken. The public CANNOT not be put at RISK for the sake of shareholders dividends

You got to hear about that quick, thought they would of covered that up better.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Major safety incident this morning with a poorly trained manager doing a professional's job, hopefully this will be investigated and proper action taken. The public CANNOT not be put at RISK for the sake of shareholders dividends

Two that I've heard of this morning with poorly trained managers trying to do guards jobs making serious safety critical errors which have put the public at risk. Anyone would think the guards and drivers job is harder than people on here think.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How anyone can support reducing staff levels on the railway just so faceless shareholders can make more money is beyond me. Savings will not go on reducing ticket prices.

good job no one is supporting reducing staff levels, there's none being proposed here.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I don't use the train so a strike went way over my head.
But it is quiet today with zero trains passing my back garden.
Downside is my Daughter and Grand Daughter are stuck in Cardiff. She doesn't fancy trying her luck on a train with a three YO and pushchair.

jon12345

Jul 22, 2014

Spot on.

First they came.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here