Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
She is wedded to it. For her to say otherwise would in effect say that she has been wrong for the past 2 years - in effect a resignation admission.

In the coming weeks there will be massive political change. I cant see how the vote will be carried, so she will have to resign. What happens after that - any ones guess - but I suspect that a peoples vote will offer a way out of the political heat - (except from hard core brexiteers - of which there are only a handful)

I don't know what to make of May on the TV carrying on with this charade for her deal, surely there has to be someone to lead her off and tell her for her own good to give it up

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Brexiteers have hissy fits over a 39b 'divorce' ... leaving the EU could cost 150b over 15 years...and all for what? What a ridiculous position we are in.
Oh we can do our own trade deals. With who? The same fecking people we have trade deals with already, but probably not so good a deal. Brexiteers emotional fit will cost the country dearly

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I heard an interesting idea on the radio this morning, someone suggested another referendum on the current situation using preferred voting.

The options, subject to debate of course, would be along the lines of....

1, May's deal

2, No deal

3, Urgent renegotiation

4, Stay in EU

Voting would be in whichever preference the individual wanted and so the most favoured option on countbacks wins.

certainly sounds better than the Hell/Handcart/WTO/Crash options at the moment.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I heard an interesting idea on the radio this morning, someone suggested another referendum on the current situation using preferred voting.

1, May's deal

2, No deal

3, Urgent renegotiation

4, Stay in EU

Voting would be in whichever preference the individual wanted and so the most favoured option on countbacks wins.

3 is a non starter, but could be EEA / EFA but that might be too complicated for most

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
She is wedded to it. For her to say otherwise would in effect say that she has been wrong for the past 2 years - in effect a resignation admission.

In the coming weeks there will be massive political change. I cant see how the vote will be carried, so she will have to resign. What happens after that - any ones guess - but I suspect that a peoples vote will offer a way out of the political heat - (except from hard core brexiteers - of which there are only a handful)

She might roll the dice one last time and call an Election in the hope the public can be groomed. The Daily Mail is behind here...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

1, May's deal

2, No deal

3, Urgent renegotiation

4, Stay in EU

It would be a massive dereliction of duty to the population for any Government to leave *no deal* on the table.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hammond not answering the urgenst question in the Commons about the economic analysis, instead sending junior minister.

Cool.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hammond not answering the urgenst question in the Commons about the economic analysis, instead sending junior minister.

Cool.

Memories of Osborne sending Chloe Smith to Newsnight, to be torn apart by Paxo.

I bet Hammond's stooge is delighted to draw the short straw

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ah, out of context!

I guessed there must have been a reason, otherwise reading all those quotes, it would be easy to jump to the conclusion that you were a complete moron, and I'm sure that's not the case :lolol:

I wouldn't be too sure...to be fair with some of his/ her rankings, a complete moron is actually quite tame.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
3 isn’t an option. So could well end up with the other 3.

Third IS an option, withdraw article 50 and stay in til renegotiated.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

EU have said no. Take it or leave it. The problem is that they hold the far stronger hand in negotiations so they call the shots. If we went back saying “the people want another negotiation” they will tell us to get stuffed but even if they did change then we would need another vote on whether to accept! We would then go back to them and so on forever.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

trouble is, EU stated before and im sure will again that they will not negotiate anything unless article 50 is active. stalemate.

what needs to happen is some prominent leaders from the remain side step up an explain why staying in the EU is good, explain they already have the power and that its OK, and move to make constructive case for remain. then some form of motion through parliament (sovereign remember) to instruct the government to revoke a50. Remain MPs must take ownership and forcefully go against outcome of the vote. at the moment they are too scared at the political push back, so leaving government/brexiteers to take the flak. bottom line is Remain will come at some political cost to some.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't know what to make of May on the TV carrying on with this charade for her deal, surely there has to be someone to lead her off and tell her for her own good to give it up

It’s a bit like the friend who is in a toxic relationship which everyone, including them, knows is toxic,,,, but they still carry on.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ec527ef8-f302-11e8-8c84-29b2667b0b46

Buried in the assumptions of the Whitehall analysis released today is a quietly devastating verdict on Theresa May’s negotiation.

Even if Mrs May gets her plan though parliament next month, it suggests that civil servants are preparing in case she does not get what she wants from Europe in part two of the Brexit negotiations. It envisages partial failure by Mrs May or her successor to negotiate the detailed trade deal based on last weekend’s 26-page political declaration.

The purpose of the 83-page document released this morning is to give an indication — more than a guess but, as the document keeps making clear, less than a forecast — over what will happen next on Brexit under various plans, compared to the status quo of remaining and a no-deal baseline.

It compares what will happen in 15 years to the British economy under Mrs May’s proposed deal — “the modelled white paper”, EEA or single market-style deal which excludes a customs union, Canada-style deal and “modelled no-deal”. This was expected.

Then there is a fifth column, that was not anticipated, inelegantly labelled “Modelled white paper with 50 per cent ‘non tariff barrier’ sensitivity”.

Why is that there? Because the analysis assumes that Mrs May does not get the “frictionless” deal she put forward at Chequers and acknowledges, as the EU did last week, that key assumptions have not yet been accepted.

This would be a big failure: the entire point of her Chequers model was to ensure frictionless supply lines and protect jobs but Whitehall is explicitly contemplating that this does not work.

The introduction to the document makes it clear that Mrs May’s ambition of a “frictionless” deal — notably missing from the UK-EU political declaration — is just an aspiration, despite the word sticking in the government’s public rhetoric.

“The UK has put forward proposals that would enable frictionless trade to be achieved outside the customs union and single market. That is not something that is accepted by everyone in the EU, but the UK has the ability in the future negotiations to continue to work for its objective of achieving frictionless trade,” it says.

The document goes on to justify modelling a partial failure, assuming that the deal will be “including checks at or behind the border and other regulatory costs”. The white paper (Chequers) assumes 0 per cent barriers for UK-EU trade, and the government analysis feels the necessity to model 50 per cent of the additional barriers of a Canada-style deal.

In other words, officials have modelled what happens if Mrs May tries and fails to negotiate frictionless trade and the UK ends up with some checks on goods at the border, tests in factories and different regulatory regimes. Its mere presence is yet another inconvenience for Mrs May, and realism from the heart of Whitehall.

Good eh?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The current level of debate is exactly what the rest of the world expects from Whingeing Poms. Every ***er knows exactly what they DON'T want. UK has spent most of it's time in the EU applying its veto. Pathetic.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I wouldn't be too sure...to be fair with some of his/ her rankings, a complete moron is actually quite tame.

You should change your name to Inflatus Ovidius Trumpus.:lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Long term we could well be better off out of the EU.

There is no basis whatsoever in reality to this statement - if there was even a chance of this, you would be able to very easily and quickly link to plenty of studies.

It's like saying "Maybe there are 50 elephants rampaging through Churchill Square right now."

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
There is no basis whatsoever in reality to this statement - if there was even a chance of this, you would be able to very easily and quickly link to plenty of studies.

It's like saying "Maybe there are 50 elephants rampaging through Churchill Square right now."

Plus of course...wtf is long term. 10 years? 20? 50? A generation? 2? 3? Tired of hearing that vague fantasy shit now to help brexiteers 'feel' they were right with this idiotic situation tbh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here