Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good week [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] . Peacehaven for me tomorrow. Any tips,anyone, on the course? I can’t fully remember it from my arthritic jolly on it’s maiden run. How much slower than Hove Park or Prom?

Enjoy Beachy Head Marathoners and wrap up warm.
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] may well recognise the Dartmoor Pegasus Trail that I ran on Thursday. It wasn't fast due to massive boggy puddles and a lot of bridleway gates but it was one of the most enjoyable autumn runs I've ever done. Couple of pics.....

trail 2.JPG

Attachments

• trailflat.JPG
    trailflat.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 77

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good week [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] . Peacehaven for me tomorrow. Any tips,anyone, on the course? I can’t fully remember it from my arthritic jolly on it’s maiden run. How much slower than Hove Park or Prom?

Enjoy Beachy Head Marathoners and wrap up warm.

I reckon Peacehaven & Hove Park are near identical in terms of posting a time. Both are lovely courses. Good luck tomorrow.

I think I have the green light to run Park Run tomorrow so likely to be Preston Park or the Prom for me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I go away for a week and you guys let this get to page THREE? :nono:

One of those weird weeks at a family activity place in Devon where I found a 2.5 mile hill repeat course in our own hotel, an absolutely stunning 7 mile trail run from the sister hotel. six a side, badminton, three lots of continuous cricket,a gym and two table tennis tournaments. Unfortunately due to the omnipresence of my great foes Roast Dinner, Fried Breakfast and Cheap Bar I reckon I've come home heavier. No parkrun tomorrow as I'll be sorting out my calves and trying to book liposuction.

The Manor/Ashbury presumably....great fun, so much to do there.......spent New Year last year there, mostly pissed though. Don’t recognise the trail as didn’t run much when I was there apart from the annual Brown Willy Run on New Year’s Day which was a laugh (from the historic Jamaica Inn to the top of Brown Willy and back).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The Manor/Ashbury presumably....great fun, so much to do there.......spent New Year last year there, mostly pissed though. Don’t recognise the trail as didn’t run much when I was there apart from the annual Brown Willy Run on New Year’s Day which was a laugh (from the historic Jamaica Inn to the top of Brown Willy and back).

Indeed. Stayed at the Manor but went over to the Ashbury a couple of times as they've got a new 4G football complex and son did football school there (with Southampton, don't tell anyone...). There's a mountain bike trail that goes round the back of the 18th tee of one of the golf courses on the cart path and then stright on to the Pegasus trail. It follows a loop but that included a main road. I just stayed on the trail as an out and back and investigated a couple of other bridle paths to get the run up to 7 miles.

Can thoroughly recommend to anyone with young kids. My lad did non stop sport for 5 days and my daughter was happily off with the OH making unicorn mugs and printed t-shirts. And, as Dazzer says, quite easy to have a few in the evenings.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Below par this morning at Hove Prom. Probably a race too many with Barns Green, Bright 10 & Arena 80 in very close proximity.

Couldn't really get going at any point and my first two miles were actually quicker last week at the 10k race on Sunday.

Finished 9th in 19:04 with very tight calves so slow running only for the next 7/10 days and plenty of foam rolling.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sounds obvious, but when you do very little hill training in the lead up to Beachy Head, those seven bitches will chew you up and spit you out!

A PW for a standalone marathon for me - 5:13 - but an awesome day out, as ever. Good to see [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] just before I took this photo.
e1843c2acc8c145a9c69d2e0096a2c8e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sounds obvious, but when you do very little hill training in the lead up to Beachy Head, those seven bitches will chew you up and spit you out!

A PW for a standalone marathon for me - 5:13 - but an awesome day out, as ever. Good to see [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] just before I took this photo.

Cracking day for it......slightly jealous. Well done fella [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Good running. Just to the right of that tree on the right is a blackthorne tree and last week I stripped it of it's sloe berries and stuck them in gin. The hot summer, wet early autumn and dry warm late autumn has produced the best sloes for yonks. Hic! Roll on Christmas.

21:36 at Peacehaven today after being boxed in on the hill at the start (chicked again). 19th with 11 Arena runners in front of me. Third in Arena Age Grade men but way back with Arena women involved. they have strong female runners.

Found it a difficult course and have doubts I'll be able to grab @GNT's AG in the next 2 weeks. The champ is odds on favourite to regain his crown.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Huge respect for doing that course, it looks ghastly.
It's pretty unforgiving, but us mere mortals have to treat it as a day out. And it's an amazing day, too. Unfortunately I didn't do it justice, but that doesn't take anything away from the experience.
Cracking day for it......slightly jealous. Well done fella [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]
Cheers mate. I ran with Zoe and Jason Rae over the bitches and they both (sensibly) opted for helping out tomorrow, as opposed to running!
Good running. Just to the right of that tree on the right is a blackthorne tree and last week I stripped it of it's sloe berries and stuck them in gin. The hot summer, wet early autumn and dry warm late autumn has produced the best sloes for yonks. Hic! Roll on Christmas.

21:36 at Peacehaven today after being boxed in on the hill at the start (chicked again). 19th with 11 Arena runners in front of me. Third in Arena Age Grade men but way back with Arena women involved. they have strong female runners.

Found it a difficult course and have doubts I'll be able to grab @GNT's AG in the next 2 weeks. The champ is odds on favourite to regain his crown.
Cheers Gaffer. It's beautiful up there - might pop back with the family tomorrow...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I cycled out to Eastbourne today for the festivities, then back to the Amex and home, 58.5 miles in total at an average pace of 13.5mph, considering the nearly 3,000 feet climbed I'll take that all day long! Great running [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and another Albion supporting fellow who I gave a cheer to!

I turned my ankle on wednesday's casual run up The Avenue in Brighton, I ran up the grass rather than the pavement and found myself perfectly placing my right foot in a rabbit hole. I've never gone over on ankle so much (whilst running) as I did - it was painful immediately. I finished the run at a much slower pace (I had to get back to work and had no other means of doing so) but I've given myself a couple of days off any activity involving the ankle. It actually feels fine now, but I'm going to hold off on a long run tomorrow and get back on the pace work on monday. My one and only aim for this year now is to topple [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] in the 5k table.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
The bulging disc in my back kept me out for 2 weeks, but I was able to put in a 2k, 3k, and 4k run this week to test it out. My back passed with flying colours. Off to Florida next week where I hope to get a few 5k morning beach runs in.

The bad disc pushes my couch to 10K phase back a few weeks, but I still hope to get started mid November. It will be very strange to hit New Years Eve approaching 10K fitness, haven't done that kind of distance in at least 25 years.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
No results at all from Rushmoor parkrun yet, so I've not a clue how I did as I forgot my watch and the Strava app is unreliable at best.

I don't think we're looking at a stand out performance though as it was horribly cold and I haven't fully recovered from a head cold I've had all week. Hoping for a sub-20 when the results eventually appear!

Will probably try Rushmoor again when I'm well as it is pretty flat, and only two laps. Quite a contrast to Guildford.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

...especially if I get my team of chick blockers out in force! I think Peacehaven is a trickier course than some give it credit for. Mind you, I have great fondness for it as I was the overall AG record holder (all categories) there (until the 2nd time it was run!). My money is still on you to do it. Believe and achieve (and other such motivational claptrap!).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
...especially if I get my team of chick blockers out in force! I think Peacehaven is a trickier course than some give it credit for. Mind you, I have great fondness for it as I was the overall AG record holder (all categories) there (until the 2nd time it was run!). My money is still on you to do it. Believe and achieve (and other such motivational claptrap!).

30mph SSW gusts forecast for Saturday. Looks like Hove Park is the only choice.........

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Great running. I'm seriously thinking of giving that a go next year if Brighton goes to plan. Lovely photo too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Albion marathon done........really enjoyed it, not as boring as expected, the lap format worked pretty well. The slopes on the East side started to feel like real hills after about 15 miles though [emoji23]

Pretty happy with just over 4 hours after a fairly disjointed period of training. Good to see a lot running in Albion shirts too

https://strava.app.link/LXUpfNZTnR

eeaec05c5e312c95cb04578dd52746d4.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here