Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
So remainers complained that the government made a poor offer before, after negociation the government improve the offer but now you complain they have made a u turn ? Are you sure you understand what negociation means ? I guess you'd rather they kept to the hard exit you've moaned about so vocally ?

Snigger

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Banks, worse than the devil before the referendum, now Remainers loves them. Banks creating jobs in Frankfurt, so they can still get a piece of the action once we leave, nothing unusual in that. The prediction we got, London's financial sector becoming a ghost town. I don't know if that was before or after the French had sent all the Asylum seekers over.

The thing about the financial services sector is that it's one of the few things we (in the UK) do well. But perhaps more importantly it contributes about 12% of our tax revenue - its taxes pay for the majority of the NHS. Unfortunately, Brexit will send a good part of this sector to Frankfurt/Paris/Dublin, so not only will we lose loads of jobs in London, we will also have far less tax income. Brexit will also decimate one of our other success stories - aerospace, but that's another story.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
As a leaver I find things are panning out pretty much as I expected when I made the decision of which way to vote although I will say I did anticipate a bit more immediate downside to the economy etc. It must be awful to be a remainer watching this but having no concept of the end game that us leavers have a vision of. Granted the government seem to be making hard work of it but I am still convinced that when the youngsters look back in a decades time they will thank those of us that stepped up when needed.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
As a leaver I find things are panning out pretty much as I expected when I made the decision of which way to vote although I will say I did anticipate a bit more immediate downside to the economy etc. It must be awful to be a remainer watching this but having no concept of the end game that us leavers have a vision of. Granted the government seem to be making hard work of it but I am still convinced that when the youngsters look back in a decades time they will thank those of us that stepped up when needed.

Not sure that youngsters will be thanking you that much over the next couple of decades tbh

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Banks, worse than the devil before the referendum, now Remainers loves them. Banks creating jobs in Frankfurt, so they can still get a piece of the action once we leave, nothing unusual in that. The prediction we got, London's financial sector becoming a ghost town. I don't know if that was before or after the French had sent all the Asylum seekers over.

The big banks are already global and can operate from pretty much anywhere. Relatively minor reorganisation is required to switch activities to a different country. I am looking at a few options that affect my team if we bite the bullet.

France, though, is a ****ing basket case of a place to try to operate. Very strong employment legislation and unions, generally poor quality of staff etc. Personally don't see vast swathes of people leaving London.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I'm only repeating what government ministers have said....

Really? ... care to source quotes from two or three government ministers that are supporting a transition period of at least three years who previously said no transition periods were acceptable? Actually one would be a start.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Really? ... care to source quotes from two or three government ministers that are supporting a transition period of at least three years who previously said no transition periods were acceptable? Actually one would be a start.

The point is - a few weeks ago Hammond wasn't allowed to say anything, and there was complete denial of the need for a transition period. Now Hammond is allowed to talk about a three year transition period. That is a seismic change. Plus, Gove - the arch-est of arch Brexiteers - is happily talking about the continuation of Free Movement well beyond 2019. Things are changing!

Jan 30, 2008
The point is - a few weeks ago Hammond wasn't allowed to say anything, and there was complete denial of the need for a transition period. Now Hammond is allowed to talk about a three year transition period. That is a seismic change. Plus, Gove - the arch-est of arch Brexiteers - is happily talking about the continuation of Free Movement well beyond 2019. Things are changing!
No they're not ,STILL LEAVING THE EU :thumbsup:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here