Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things you like about the Yanks

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Our identities are intertwined. All the signatories to the Declaration of Independence were of recent British descent. 4th July is as much British history as American. I don't feel I have been culturally Americanised any more than watching Home and Away and neighbours has culturally Australianised me.

was more referring to ways folk act these days. just the little things like cheering and clapping at the cinemas, having cafe's (French word) now as Diners. Kids now have Proms here. We used to have a little disco (French again to be fair). Kids walking around all gangster with their jeans hanging down from their arse. Wasn't really thinking about the declaration of indepence.

Iggy Pop Lou Reed The Byrds Ramones Husker Du Patti Smith Lambchop Sonic Youth MC5 Talking Heads Gillian Welch Tom Waits Dead Kennedys Howlin Wolf Elvis Presley Frank Sinatra LCD Soundsystem Run DMC Beastie Boys Johnny Cash Little Richard Public Enemy Chic REM Fugazi Henry Rollins Sonny Rollins Miles Davis John Coltrane Mercury Rev Crosby Stiils Janis Joplin Jimi Hendrix Calexico Flaming Lips. And thats just a small taster.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Iggy Pop Lou Reed The Byrds Ramones Husker Du Patti Smith Lambchop Sonic Youth MC5 Talking Heads Gillian Welch Tom Waits Dead Kennedys Howlin Wolf Elvis Presley Frank Sinatra LCD Soundsystem Run DMC Beastie Boys Johnny Cash Little Richard Public Enemy Chic REM Fugazi Henry Rollins Sonny Rollins Miles Davis John Coltrane Mercury Rev Crosby Stiils Janis Joplin Jimi Hendrix Calexico Flaming Lips. And thats just a small taster.

...Guided By Voices and Galaxie 500

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
only been there the once and it was over 20 years ago

thought it was brilliant and the people were very friendly

on the music front

Hendrix
Guns N Roses
Chilli Peppers
Dead Kennedys
Tubes

all feature heavily in my record collection

The Big Bang Theory & Friends both superb

would really like to go back there one day

bognorandy

Aug 5, 2008
Bognor Regis
I do like the states it's more scenic than people give it credit it for. I love the theme parks 100 times better than here in the UK.

However I hate they think every thing is a conspiracy (i.e. 9/11, sandy hook), do we ever doubt such events in the UK like 7/7, no we don't. and WTF with gun controls!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Theme parks. Like everything else in the US, their coasters are massive. Magic Mountain in California makes Alton Towers look like an indoor softplay area. 'Oblivion' would be in the toddlers section.

Portion sizes. Daft.

Steaks. Superb.

Roads. Driving in the US (major city centres excepted) is fantastic. Put the car on cruise control for several hours.

Fishing. Especially in Florida.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
blah blah,blah... Yes, but this World Series has been won by HOW many different countries?

Countries compete in the World Baseball Classic, there have been 4 tournament with Japan winning twice, also Puerto Rico, Dom Rep, Cuba, Netherlands, Venezuela very competitive. The USA have one win and a fourth place. It is as much a global game than rugby union.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Music - but particularly Gospel at the moment. I went on Friday Evening to a concert in Cardiff by Mavis Staples - ex of the Staples Singers. Awesome.

She is 77 - 78 on 10th July, which is tomorrow as I type. Her Drummer and Bass Guitarist are both in their early sixties but could have been straight out of a STAX recording session, they were so tight. In my 64 years, it was possibly the best gig I have ever been to, certainly the most uplifting.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
About this here steak thing ...300 bucks for two without wine is easily done at these places. They can be great but they really can be awful sometimes.

- Charleys, Tampa: often features in US Top 10 but the time we went we were given some inedible, salt-encrusted muck. Spat it out and left without paying a dime
- Flemings, Tampa: best ever on several occasions. Would definitely definitely go back.
- Flemings, San Diego: yuk. Wouldn't go back (yes, the same chain as previous)
- Wests, Carlsbad, CA: food fab but go for the sitting-at-the-bar menu. Totty to die for at the bar. Had several pleasant evenings in there (conveniently just a mile or so from the Stag & Lion for footy and a full English on match days) :albion2:
- Stake (I kid you not) Coronado, CA: rip-off. Putting cowhide covers on chairs and having all the waiting staff as leggy 20 somethings doesn't help if you serve lukewarm food
- Donovans, San Diego - fab although wife and son were working their way through the cocktail menu ($500 for three ... ouch!)
- Benny's, Chicago: oh dear
- Big Texan Steak Ranch, Amarillo, TX: this has to be the best. Reasonably priced, a band walking around with fiddle and bass, gigantic locals spilling over the sides of their chairs, waitresses dressed as cowgirls (isn't there someone on here that likes that sort of thing?). Seats two or three hundred. Even has its own gift shop. It ain't upmarket but it's magnificent

Just remember to politely complain whenever they get it wrong and you can't go far wrong. Sit there stoically putting up with sub-standard food and you deserve to be left with a bad taste.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Countries compete in the World Baseball Classic, there have been 4 tournament with Japan winning twice, also Puerto Rico, Dom Rep, Cuba, Netherlands, Venezuela very competitive. The USA have one win and a fourth place. It is as much a global game than rugby union.
Exactly, it's the national game of the USA, Japan, Cuba and Colombia and extremely popular in dozens of others - especially East Asia, central America, north of South America and Canada.

Another great global game invented by the British before they turned out to be shithouse at it.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
They invented the word MILF.

The lady who worked behind the bar in the King Alfred (upstairs) invented the word MILF in about 1975 ... and God bless her she put it into practice.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
blah blah,blah... Yes, but this World Series has been won by HOW many different countries?

you could argue that cricket is extremely limited in its global appeal much as we love it. plenty of 'world' titled competitions that basically only a handful of former British colonies are capable of winning.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I like how they defend their rights to freedom of speech, I like how easy it is to go off with some responsible mates and enjoy and shoot firearms,I like how these people don’t consider it a mental thing to do.
I like how eager many of them are to shake off the accusation they are insular.
Amazing local food joints and bars if you take the effort to search them out.
Great friends of the British
Pretty good bunch the average yank tbh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here