Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens today

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
There is a reason premier league Burnley were trying to buy him before the season started, at around 7M

An outstanding decision by the club to turn down that, even though Stephens wanted to go.

Now we are in the premier league, I hope he signs a new contract, if not all credit to him for not sulking and helping us get to the promised land.

Absolutely spot on and the only part of this thread that's remotely accurate!!

Done well of late but anyone else think he's been a bit conservative getting forward/shooting?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Firstly, promotion is an amazing achievement so the disappointment of today will be short lived. The team have been amazing to achieve promotion so well done the lads, take a bow !

But the performances of Dale Stephens in this final run-in in particular causes me to question whether he has the credentials to be a first choice in the PL - I say this because I find his style of play very pedestrian, everything slows down when he gets the ball and his natural instinct is to go backwards or sideways - especially today. I have a big concern that this style of play will be punished heavily in the PL as I fear he would get closed down very quickly and lose possession easily - which will ultimately cost us goals. This isn't a knee jerk opinion, it's an opinion formed for a little while now - I know our form with him in the team this season speaks for itself, but next season is a whole new ball game. Would love to be proved wrong though - time will tell. UTA !

Recycling possession is his mandate. He played some fantastic balls today which were neither sideways nor backwards.

Stephens is just about the most likely out of anybody in our squad that we can say with any certainty to being cut out for the PL. Above Knocky, above Dunk.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Burnley are staying up (40 points from 36 games) - if Stephens had joined last summer, I reckon we'd be 5/6 points better off = 8th in the league.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Burnley are staying up (40 points from 36 games) - if Stephens had joined last summer, I reckon we'd be 5/6 points better off = 8th in the league.

If that were the case I bet you now wish Burnley had increased their offers for him by pound coins instead of 50p's.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Firstly, promotion is an amazing achievement so the disappointment of today will be short lived. The team have been amazing to achieve promotion so well done the lads, take a bow !

But the performances of Dale Stephens in this final run-in in particular causes me to question whether he has the credentials to be a first choice in the PL - I say this because I find his style of play very pedestrian, everything slows down when he gets the ball and his natural instinct is to go backwards or sideways - especially today. I have a big concern that this style of play will be punished heavily in the PL as I fear he would get closed down very quickly and lose possession easily - which will ultimately cost us goals. This isn't a knee jerk opinion, it's an opinion formed for a little while now - I know our form with him in the team this season speaks for itself, but next season is a whole new ball game. Would love to be proved wrong though - time will tell. UTA !

I see your point and for me he does at times slow things up but seriously if you are worried about Stephens making the step up and wanting someone else then we need to change our entire squad.

He certainly could shoot more at times, he has a decent strike, don't know why he does not chance his arm more on that front.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Done well of late but anyone else think he's been a bit conservative getting forward/shooting?
No, because that's not his job.

Throughout his time here, he's gone from a shite shooting, adequate, box to box midfielder, to a precision forged midfield/sweeper lynch pin.
One that not only holds the entire team together but disrupts the opposition.

If DS could score with his feet or head he wouldn't still be an Albion player, and he sure as hell would have turned his nose up at the likes of Burnley.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
He will be a free agent in a matter of weeks but surely - behind the scenes - he and his agent must want a new deal sorted as soon as possible (with Seagulls or another club).

The uncertainty about his future cannot drag on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, because that's not his job.

Throughout his time here, he's gone from a shite shooting, adequate, box to box midfielder, to a precision forged midfield/sweeper lynch pin.
One that not only holds the entire team together but disrupts the opposition.

If DS could score with his feet or head he wouldn't still be an Albion player, and he sure as hell would have turned his nose up at the likes of Burnley.

That comes from me being one of the last posters to get on the Dale Bus.
Previously, no matter what others have correctly told me, I've been loud wrong about DS.

Important caveat added.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

So presumably this is a very black day for you, Sorry, the rest of us are very happy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here