Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm on a similar journey to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. I think he's leading the weight loss, whilst I'm just shading times right now.

My first run was on January 23rd and I was running a half-marathon within 3 months. My 5km (22:49), 10km (49:03), 10m (1:22:40) and HM (1:53:51) times have all continued to get better. It really is remarkable just how much your body can improve performance so quickly.

I thought I'd never get inside a 25min 5km less than 7 months ago!

:clap:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Woke up at 8:30 this morning so got straight out to try Hove Promenade Park Run for the first time. Being completely flat it's undoubtedly quicker but it's a boring course in comparison to Hove Park and I found it really tough today with no hills to break it up.

Got round in 14th place in 19:21 that's 16 seconds quicker than my Hove Park pb - but I'll be returning to Hove Park in the future, far nicer scenery.

The winner clocked 14:47 he was trying to break the Park Run record not sure if he was successful or not, he and one other went off at a hell of a pace. I had a quick chat with him he was aiming for 14:30 but he said the wind was a problem. He also asked if sub 15 qualified him for the 2016 Rusty Lee invitational so I might have some competition next year.

Garmin stats for today
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/865977031

Last edited:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I timed you in at 22:09 just a couple of people behind me. Your target was 22:30. Good running. I reckon you could do a sub 21 within a few months and with a tail wind instead of slight head wind. Your camping walking trip in California, Arizona and Nevada sounds brilliant. Enjoy Salvation Mountain and the memory of Leonard Knight (not Leon).

That's really great, I'm over the moon with anything under 23:00.
I'll keep going and my next goal is sub 22:00.

Have fun on the hills this afternoon and think about getting some motion sickness tablets for your 3 day ferry crossing..! :sick:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
A very average park run for me today at Preston Park - just over 24min. In my defence it followed a good six pints last night after work (I reckon every pint adds about 10 seconds to my Parkrun time the morning after). Now relaxing on the train up to Craven Cottage for the next stage of what will hopefully be an excellent weekend.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I have been running for 3 months now and still can not get below 27mins for 5k I have done a few 10ks and have a best of 56:35. Just can not get any faster for 5, I think it's because I start of slowly and can never catch up.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That's really great, I'm over the moon with anything under 23:00.
I'll keep going and my next goal is sub 22:00.

Have fun on the hills this afternoon and think about getting some motion sickness tablets for your 3 day ferry crossing..! :sick:
Well done SP. Sounds like [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] didn't let you down...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Finally broke 19 minutes which I'm very happy about. All my best times are at tilgate, no idea how that compares speed wise with hove park. The winner at tilgate did a sub 16 though

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I have been running for 3 months now and still can not get below 27mins for 5k I have done a few 10ks and have a best of 56:35. Just can not get any faster for 5, I think it's because I start of slowly and can never catch up.
Hills
Speed work
Long runs.

A combination of those in training is guarranteed to get your times down.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Do you do any core work? I found my times started to dramatically improve when I started working more on my core strength with planks, cyclies and push ups as well as lunges, squats and burpies. I'm not an expert or anything, but I've seen much better results after working on the full body rather than just doing distance runs.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Well done SP. Sounds like [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] didn't let you down...

Cheers! Yep, very grateful.

Like other have said above, more running, incorporate hills and sprints.

Also, as Ninja has said, don't neglect your core, hamstrings and quads.
Squats, lunges and planks will help.

What distance are you aiming to run most frequently?
If you're a member at a gym, frequent HIIT classes will shave minutes off your time within weeks.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
R
Today's Parkrun. Bognor course (I'd like to think this is 5 minutes slower than all the Brighton courses but it isn't)

22:02

AG 72.77%

Placing 17/165

A bit disappointing.

21:54 for me at 70.17%. You win today although my pacing duties were the priority. Not bad for a sub 22 pacer coming in at 21:54. @Stoneham Park made sure that the pace was uncomfortable after an Ashes drinking summer and I have been red in the face all day.
If you get back to best form I may have to run the flat Hove Prom run on September 5th to get the extra 15 seconds off the time.!

Well done @BigNuts you have beaten my Parkrun PB. Sub 19 next?

All this and 6 points in the bag........

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
R

21:54 for me at 70.17%. You win today although my pacing duties were the priority. Not bad for a sub 22 pacer coming in at 21:54. @Stoneham Park made sure that the pace was uncomfortable after an Ashes drinking summer and I have been red in the face all day.
If you get back to best form I may have to run the flat Hove Prom run on September 5th to get the extra 15 seconds off the time.!

Well done @BigNuts you have beaten my Parkrun PB. Sub 19 next?

All this and 6 points in the bag........

Your Hove Park record is safe for now although I fancy sub 19:30 next attempt. On a flat course sub 19 is possible as I didn't run a great race in terms of splits, much like the Phoenix went of like a lunatic and couldn't sustain, I need to concentrate on maintaining a pace. Whilst the course is flat, I find the up and down nature of Hove Park helps with the mental side as you know once youve done the east hill you're almost there for the down hill run in. Here it's just 3.1 miles of flat pain.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm on a similar journey to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. I think he's leading the weight loss, whilst I'm just shading times right now.

My first run was on January 23rd and I was running a half-marathon within 3 months. My 5km (22:49), 10km (49:03), 10m (1:22:40) and HM (1:53:51) times have all continued to get better. It really is remarkable just how much your body can improve performance so quickly.

I thought I'd never get inside a 25min 5km less than 7 months ago!

I can confirm tomorrow's going to hurt. If I make it.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Knoky

Funnily enough I was in effect 'pacing' someone in my run too. I promised my training partner that I'd help get him under 22 and we (he!) did it by 2 seconds. I was very pleased with this precision but not the result as he beat me by easing past me in the last 50 metres - I've got no finishing speed any more. However, unlike your pacing experience I can't say I was slowed down by this and around 22 seems to be a fair reflection of my current form. (Am coming back after recurrent calf strain.)

Another coincidence is that I too am looking greedily at the Hove prom course! I think that it could well be the fastest around although maybe not on a windy day. The Bognor course isn't exactly a fell run (!) but it does twist and turn and overtaking is sometimes tricky on the narrow paths.

Anyway, well done on your pacing efforts and your time was not representative of your form, I'm sure.

Some good runners on this thread!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
[MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] I have now been able to look at your results and you have a few + 76% up your sleeve for this year alone. I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew and have to add you to the numerous list of NSC Challengers that beat me.

We will see. I am up for trying to beat your best AG performance for this month on my September 5th run but I think I am second favourite. We will have to have a rematch regardless of this month's outcome in November or December. Problem for me is your too good! I need to revisit my 6 year old sub 20 to get near 76%. For that I need a 6 week training plan, a strong wind behind me and faster legs.
I crown you the NSC King of AG percentages.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Despite another beer and sausage fest yesterday I headed out to Shoreham to do my half marathon loop. My legs and guts both behaved themselves and I was able to work on technique a bit. Keeping feet straight. not running flat foot footed, good regular breathing and yelling at [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] . The last I managed spectacularly well, scaring the shit out of him by the Shoreham Beach garage.

I made the half and a bit more on top on the cool down. On the plus side I now have a half marathon PB of under 2 hours 10 (strava says 2.06.20) and have burned off all the Fulham calories. On the down side I'm not convinced Brooks are shoes you should break in with a half marathon. Despite having the Thoros socks on I have small blisters on both little toes.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Despite another beer and sausage fest yesterday I headed out to Shoreham to do my half marathon loop. My legs and guts both behaved themselves and I was able to work on technique a bit. Keeping feet straight. not running flat foot footed, good regular breathing and yelling at [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] . The last I managed spectacularly well, scaring the shit out of him by the Shoreham Beach garage.

I made the half and a bit more on top on the cool down. On the plus side I now have a half marathon PB of under 2 hours 10 (strava says 2.06.20) and have burned off all the Fulham calories. On the down side I'm not convinced Brooks are shoes you should break in with a half marathon. Despite having the Thoros socks on I have small blisters on both little toes.
Ha ha. Sorry GB, I *thought* it was you, but I was 16 miles into an 18-mile run, my calf was giving me grief, and I was trying to work out the distance to home and also what time I would be doing.

Sounds like you had a good run. Mine was 2hrs 34 and my planned 9min/mile pace sped up to 8:35 in the end.

Eight weeks until IOW. I'm planning on adding an extra mile to my long run each week. Be great if I could carry on that pace for 26.2...

Happy Sunday running, NSC :thumpsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here