Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Third Ashes Test - England v Australia - Edgbaston

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Was tied up in customer meetings and a rare visit to London today so Cricinfo was my friend.

Great start for us

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Well the pressure was all on Bell and he came up trumps, batsman of the day, a run a ball fifty giving England impetus. I don't have a problem getting out playing his shots when he'd already notched his half-century, on this pitch there's going to be a ball with your name on it soon enough.

The game plan for England tomorrow is simple enough - try and bat for at least 5 hours, all day if possible. If Joe Root is still there at tea then England will win this match.

I do have a problem with Bell....he chucked it away. He was in and set for a big score. It was an appalling shot and totally unnecessary. Two of the three wickets given away.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
He was trying to dominate the spinner and it didn't come off, nothing wrong with the shot selection or mindset just the execution.

Both teams seem intent on hitting Ali & Lyon out of the attack and it's playing right into their hands. They aren't ever going to be all time greats but a bit of respect should be shown to them, both sides could milk them at 3 per over taking minimal risks and their figures would more likely look like 1-92 rather than picking up 2/3 wickets per innings.

Just waking up in Birmingham after a truly marvellous day yesterday.

Trust me Clarke cocked up deciding to bat and the bowlers took full advantage. Bell was an idiot for getting out at that stage of the game but hopefully we will build a big lead today..

The real ale bar is a great idea and all in all really looking forward to day two

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I do have a problem with Bell....he chucked it away. He was in and set for a big score. It was an appalling shot and totally unnecessary. Two of the three wickets given away.

Totally agree, 5 day game.
Should have tried to hang around, shouldn't rely on the bottom order.
The curse of 20/20 cricket.
If there is a collapse for 50 - 60 runs, I think the Aussies will comeback.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If there is a collapse for 50 - 60 runs, I think the Aussies will comeback.
A collapse for 50 or 60? You mean if England are all out for 190?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I think that Lyth should be dumped as well, no contribution all series so far, get rid.

And replace with who? Hales? Compton (again)? Robson (again)? Carberry (again)? Maybe we should get Strauss out of retirement?

Not taking the p*ss out of your post as I agree Lyth has been poor but I really can't see a quality replacement.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Just waking up in Birmingham after a truly marvellous day yesterday.

Trust me Clarke cocked up deciding to bat and the bowlers took full advantage. Bell was an idiot for getting out at that stage of the game but hopefully we will build a big lead today..

The real ale bar is a great idea and all in all really looking forward to day two

I can't criticise Bell. He got out playing in the same aggressive manner that got him his 50 in the first place. This put the bowlers on the back foot and prevented them putting the same pressure on as the England bowlers did.

The fact that we've already reached (almost) the Aussie total is huge pressure off batsmen 4-11, and every run conceded will feel like a double blow to the bowlers, meaning that Clarke won't want to set an overly attacking field.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And replace with who? Hales? Compton (again)? Robson (again)? Carberry (again)? Maybe we should get Strauss out of retirement?

Not taking the p*ss out of your post as I agree Lyth has been poor but I really can't see a quality replacement.

Concur entorely we have no other options at present, hopefully he will start to score runs and in his defence has fielded OK

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Trust me Clarke cocked up deciding to bat

Even though he said he'd've done the same, I rather suspect that was a bit of kidology, as I swear I saw a bit of a grin on Cook's face when Clarke said they'd bat.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

I suspect they would have to take a punt on Hales, but then his career first class average is 37.72. Although this year in the Championship it is 43.07.

Suspect he would end up being a risk pick like Vaughan and Trescothick, both were not amazing at county level, but Fletcher saw something, both of which turned out rather well.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

I think Carberry should be given another shot, on home turf he can be pretty damaging.
If he score 10 more runs an innings than Lyth that would be a bonus!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whilst I agree he is a walking wicket, it keeps coming back to, who do they pick instead?

Not sure they will go back to Compton or Carberry and then not much else out there.

Lyth has presumably kept his place by default - too many changes would have disrupted the side, and the case for Ballance to go was even stronger than for Lyth.
But in answer to this question, I think I'd go with Hales. We will never know whether he has the temperament for test match cricket unless he is given a chance. What we do know is that Lyth isn't good enough and others deserve as much of a chance as he has had.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Whilst I agree he is a walking wicket, it keeps coming back to, who do they pick instead?

Not sure they will go back to Compton or Carberry and then not much else out there.

In the absence of an obvious candidate I'd give Hales a chance. Lyth has been found out and the test bowlers know how to get him out, he just looks like a walking wicket at the moment.

I know he doesn't open in the CC but he opens in ODIs and is capable of getting a few runs. At least we'd be 50/1 after 5 overs rather than 10/1 once Lyth has faced a couple of overs and looked like they were throwing grenades at him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here