Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hull owner says: Critics 'can die as soon as they want'

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Five Live completely missed the point with this earlier including John Motson, who should be embarrassed. Banging on about foreign ownership and not understanding the culture. The guy has lived in Hull for 45 years, done loads for the area, and rescued the club financially.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
We're very lucky to have Tony Bloom as our chairman. If the club was owned by someone who started to take the clubs identity away I would be protesting it. A clubs history and identity is more important then league position.

grassy11

Jan 26, 2010
Five Live completely missed the point with this earlier including John Motson, who should be embarrassed. Banging on about foreign ownership and not understanding the culture. The guy has lived in Hull for 45 years, done loads for the area, and rescued the club financially.

There are so many clubs now that have foreign owners which has bought a lot of money in which probably wouldn't have been the case withuk owners, us an exception recently but does this mean when ownership changes that the clubs can be rebranded every few years? With rugby, basketball American football etc we have these brands already but football clubs at the moment aren't franchises but no doubt is only a matter of time and then we will be in situation where they can then move location, Worthing seagulls anyone?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Very interesting thread, not sure what the guy actually said, but was the Hull nickname the Tigers in the same was that we are referred to as the Seagulls. Its hardly a radical change, the kit is the colours of a tiger, they are known as the Tigers. I hear the word custodian used as if the man in charge is holding the club to hand it on, but its business and he has 'invested' a lot of money, I think he has the ability and authority to do this. Can't see a problem with it really, not that it has anything to do with me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/fa-rejects-hull-tigers-name-change

Sky News are reporting that the Football Association’s Membership Committee has rejected Hull City owner Assem Allam’s bid to rebrand the club Hull Tigers. The news will receive a rapturous reception on Humberside and the FA deserves great credit for coming to the correct conclusion.

This is an odd one for me - I tend to view a name change to include a long standing nickname or a change of shirt colour, are pretty surface issues when you actually look at the huge forces transforming modern football clubs. But they still arise great passions - I can't help thinking they are being used as proxy issues for things that most fans are powerless to do anything about, whether that's at hull, here or where ever you look

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This is an odd one for me - I tend to view a name change to include a long standing nickname or a change of shirt colour, are pretty surface issues when you actually look at the huge forces transforming modern football clubs. But they still arise great passions - I can't help thinking they are being used as proxy issues for things that most fans are powerless to do anything about, whether that's at hull, here or where ever you look

The name change is indicative of a power struggle between someone who sees football only as a business, and those who see it in a far deeper social and community context.

While most football clubs have never been run as democracies, it's a brave 'owner' who takes on his core customer-base and does something against their strong wishes.

Any name change would go through almost certainly on the nod if he could take his customer-base with him on it, irrespective of what other clubs' fans might think. But he hasn't - he has chosen to insult them.

Indeed "indicative" is an apt word. It's not the actual struggle you refer to but a symbolic surface representation of it that may distract from the real fundamental changes taking place

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Fantastic news.

Everyone seems to slate the FA as a matter of course but with this and their anti-homophobia stuff recently they've played the proverbial blinder.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I just see it more as him trying to Americanise the club name without realising that we do things differently over here.

In America they love this type of branding and would welcome it with open arms.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I will be really interested to see the reasons the committee gives for its recommendation. Allam does appear to be a CJTC about this issue (but not many others, having injected £70m into HCAFC), but he does own the club. He may be wrong, he may be an idiot for p*ssing off the fans, he may have weird motives for wanting to change the name, but, I repeat, he owns the club. Legally, I struggle to see on what basis the FA can refuse him the right to change the name to Hull Tigers. There must be rules that allow the FA to block a name change, but I wonder if those rules lay down under what circumstances they can legitimately refuse the application.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
I heard Tony wants to ditch Our name and call us the Brighton Seagulls with our badge consisting of an angry seagull perched on a wheelie bin pecking at some rubbish.

Actually that would be better than our existing badge which Ive always thought of as a bit Disneyish and soppy. The Albion in the community logo would be better. I suspect I might be in a minority of one on this though.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Changes of club colours, changes of ownership, changes of location, changes of name, changes of ground, changes of nickname, we've seen them all over the years. Personally I would like Hull to keep their traditions.
However, it seems that the FA make up the rules as they go along, so there's no predicting how any of these changes will turn out, other than probably be the opposite of what most people want and most people expect.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So the Hull owner sells up and walks now then
He was supposed to walk out ages ago. It was 3 1/2 months ago he said:
"I'm a simple man," added Allam. "Do they want me to stay? If it's, 'No thank you', fine, in 24 hours the club is for sale, I do not put in one more pound and hopefully things happen quickly."

Well the fans kept complaining about the name change, but he didn't go. ****.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here