Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lib/Dems win Richmond Park.

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
Richmond has by tradition been a base for liberal party support - but it was always a marginal constituency at best as it's not all Richmond Green (RIP Sir Dickie). It also has a continual changing population being a commuter belt area, especially young people, in recent time aspirational city types tending to be Tory voters.
Being by Heathrow (and a lovely place) it's also very cosmopolitan - meaning that although Heathrow pollution and noise is a big issue, the hostile threats to these people and their friends and neighbours of Brexit is far bigger right now.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Exactly. It's not a shock because the LibDems poured resources into a winnable seat. But some people on here are talking as if it was a gimme when it clearly wasn't because Richmond is NOT natural LibDem territory.

I'm delighted by this result but I'd be interested to see how they might do in a seat that is very 50-50 pro/anti brexit. That would be a far better indication of the public strength of feeling on the issue.

Errm, it most definitely IS Lib Dem territory, it's a liberal area that has been held by LDs before as recently as 2014...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Errm, it most definitely IS Lib Dem territory, it's a liberal area that has been held by LDs before as recently as 2014...

Yes, yes. I KNOW that now. Is anyone else going to point out my mistake or do others simply read the entire thread before posting?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Two interesting points to me.

First : Labour polled a paltry 1500 votes

Second : The Monster Raving Looney party candidate was called Howling Laud Hope and he polled 184 votes

both great IMHO

TNBA

TTF

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Yes, yes. I KNOW that now. Is anyone else going to point out my mistake or do others simply read the entire thread before posting?

Not being funny but it is definitely a Liberal area - I hope this helps?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
First evidence that a liberal alliance works, kudos to our Lucas. It's a shame that Labour are too self important to get their head around this as it's the only way to beat the right at the moment.

Maybe Labour understand going down the 'ignore the majority democratic vote' path adopted by the Lib Dem's (frightfully liberal) would most likely be catastrophic for them in their Northern Brexit voting heartlands as well as hardening and probably increasing support for the right.

150+ seat Tory /UKIP majority in the House of Commons anyone?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/anti-brexit-parties-would-win-150-fewer-seats-than-pro-leave-par/

https://medium.com/@chrishanretty/t...r-constituencies-vote-283c85cd20e1#.s1rtv7jsw

https://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisapple...ext-election?utm_term=.cum7k4ZxZv#.kswQMVzNzq

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

No, it was Conservative in 2014.

While it's true that Lib Dems won three elections between 1997 and 2005, it's slightly misleading to say it's LibDem territory. That's when the Tories were in a bit of a state and lost all sorts of solid Tory seats (like Lewes for example). Before 1997, Richmond (in its various guises) had been a Conservative seat since the 19th century

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
Exactly. It's not a shock because the LibDems poured resources into a winnable seat. But some people on here are talking as if it was a gimme when it clearly wasn't because Richmond is NOT natural LibDem territory.

I'm delighted by this result but I'd be interested to see how they might do in a seat that is very 50-50 pro/anti brexit. That would be a far better indication of the public strength of feeling on the issue.
It most certainly IS lib dem territory !!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Ah ok, fair enough. Nevertheless, overturning a 22,000 majority is relevant IMO.
No Conservative candidate, upset that Zach G jumped ship showing party disloyalty, nobody wanted to vote Labour... no Ukip or Green alternative..... Lib Dems next choice in list for protest vote.

Put a Con candidate in there next time and it will swing back.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I don't think this result is that significant in terms of Brexit, it won't change much.

However, it could have a few Tory MPs worried, in the seats that swung from lib dem to tory in 2015. I imagine a lot of voters who float between these two parties may be a bit miffed at the recent snooping laws brought in. A few by-elections in some of these areas could have the Tory majority looking extremely fragile.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
No Conservative candidate, upset that Zach G jumped ship showing party disloyalty, nobody wanted to vote Labour... no Ukip or Green alternative..... Lib Dems next choice in list for protest vote.

Just look at the hampsteads on her !! Looks like bugs bunny!

SAC

May 21, 2014

The Tories should have fielded their own candidate, not to do so was an insult to the electorate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here