Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's a sparse crowd here tonight . I'd say 16000 or less through the turnstile .

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
The club only have themselves to blame. The whole spin from day 1 and in the lead up was that BHAFC would be a premiership side within 5 seasons, MAXIMUM. That was the basis on the pricing, st's, stadium tours and all the communications from the club. That was also a strong basis and rationale from Martin Perry at the council meeting to justify the extra seats, it was needed for premiership football. They then span out that embarrassing and cringeworthy " Premiership Ready " mantra for a long time only to drop it like a hot potato when they sold every single player of any value in the last year and replaced them with cheap options, including the manager and have now replaced the mantra to " One Club One Ambition ", frankly laughable. The fact there were 14000 empty seats and around 5000 who paid and could not be bothered to go should be ringing very loud alarms bells to the club

PLR was only an internal mantra - never marketing spin - it just got leaked by disgruntled employees who didn't like the new way (or professionalism as the club would tell you) the club was being run. We had big chances to hit the PL target, but ultimately mucked up both chances. Firstly through behind the scenes squabbles and then last year through a disastorous Jan transfer window which came back to hanut us. As we're now finding out you don't often get a third chance.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The club only have themselves to blame. The whole spin from day 1 and in the lead up was that BHAFC would be a premiership side within 5 seasons, MAXIMUM. That was the basis on the pricing, st's, stadium tours and all the communications from the club. That was also a strong basis and rationale from Martin Perry at the council meeting to justify the extra seats, it was needed for premiership football. They then span out that embarrassing and cringeworthy " Premiership Ready " mantra for a long time only to drop it like a hot potato when they sold every single player of any value in the last year and replaced them with cheap options, including the manager and have now replaced the mantra to " One Club One Ambition ", frankly laughable. The fact there were 14000 empty seats and around 5000 who paid and could not be bothered to go should be ringing very loud alarms bells to the club

I think that they were right to say that though. We did make the playoffs twice. We were spending and building a competitive squad. It was going that way. We were getting value for money.

This season though FFP has taken priority over promotion. I think, at the beginning of this season, the club made a conscious decision to save as much money as possible at the expense of another promotion push.

I don't think they expected us to be where we are, but a mid-table season could be classed as a fair sacrifice to make if a) we stay FFP compliant and b) they enforce transfer/contract embargoes on the teams breaking FFP regulations. The view that we could get more of our transfer targets if the bigger boys of the league had their hands tied might be very appealing to the board. Better players for less money. It's one of the few ways we could get out of this league.

But where they've dropped the ball IMO is they keep pushing this PLR stance at us. Either.

- They had no intention of another promotion challenge this season
- People behind the scenes have done a terrible job in the summer

I think we'll see the cards TB is playing later in the year when FFP regulations get introduced. I just bloody hope we're higher up in the league when we find out!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Conversely, if they announce that 16K were there, & the VAT man sees takings of 23K, it could be fraud.
No, you're still confusing 'tickets sold' with 'attendance'. They are two completely separate things. The VAT man is interested in the revenue and doesn't give a shit if people attend or not, conversely the advertisers and sponsors don't give a shit how much the punters have paid they just want to know how many will see their adverts.

Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
The fact is that Brighton and Hove Albion's core support is about 15,000. Even at the Goldstone we'd do well to pack in anything like 25,000 when the ground could handle it. The new stadium, successful side factor pulled in an additional 10,000 or so people who support Premier League clubs but got on the bandwagon with the club doing so well.

Some of them are starting to give up now four seasons in as a fair few people predicted. If you don't actually support Brighton, why would you want to traipse all the way out to Falmer to watch a team battling relegation playing against Wigan in the pissing down rain? Especially when there is Champions League football on the television?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Conversely, if they announce that 16K were there, & the VAT man sees takings of 23K, it could be fraud.

Poppycock. The Inland Revenue won't give a stuff what any club announces as an attendance - it's an irrelevance.

Back in the 80s when most club revenue was cash handed over at the turnstile there was scope for clubs to 'manipulate' attendances to suit.

Nowadays club's like the Albion are large commercial enterprises with numerous revenue streams all under the umbrella of rigorous accounting and audit functions. The notion that the club would try, or even could try, to dodge tax by playing with attendance figures is completely laughable.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think, at the beginning of this season, the club made a conscious decision to save as much money as possible at the expense of another promotion push.

In the league table of wages (we were 8th in 2012/13) - where do you think we are this season then ?
And how much money do you have to spend = "a promotion push" ? - Fulham with £11m signings ? Bournemouth ? Burnley last season ? Palace the season before ?

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
The fact is that Brighton and Hove Albion's core support is about 15,000. Even at the Goldstone we'd do well to pack in anything like 25,000 when the ground could handle it. The new stadium, successful side factor pulled in an additional 10,000 or so people who support Premier League clubs but got on the bandwagon with the club doing so well.

Some of them are starting to give up now four seasons in as a fair few people predicted. If you don't actually support Brighton, why would you want to traipse all the way out to Falmer to watch a team battling relegation playing against Wigan in the pissing down rain? Especially when there is Champions League football on the television?

Didn't rain last night at Amex...Were you watching Champions league?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The club only have themselves to blame. The whole spin from day 1 and in the lead up was that BHAFC would be a premiership side within 5 seasons, MAXIMUM.

Where - show me where this was said.

They then span out that embarrassing and cringeworthy " Premiership Ready " mantra for a long time

But where they've dropped the ball IMO is they keep pushing this PLR stance at us. Either.

- They had no intention of another promotion challenge this season
- People behind the scenes have done a terrible job in the summer

I think it's somewhat unfair to use Premier League Ready' as a stick to beat the club with...

1. It was intended for internal use only.
2. It was used to show a drive for club operations to perform at the highest level - a pursuit of excellence.

To the best of my recollections, the club have never pushed this line at supporters in any way shape or form. The club, led by Tony Bloom, clearly has ambitions to take the Albion to the Premier League, but I don't think promises have ever been made. Bloom is far too savvy for that, and clearly recognises that it's an extremely difficult task to achieve. Regardless of that, the club with all other operations to be the very best they can be. You may not like the PLR line, designed to illustrate that drive, but it wasn't intended for you anyway.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004

This is pretty accurate.
Back in our old Division 1 days, we would regularly get around 16,000.
The big Saturday games sometimes brought in more.
I do think that the extra 10,000 that have been at the Amex until recently are actually Brighton fans, but the sort that won't go if we aren't competing near the top.
You know, useless fans.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
On the bright side, the sparse crowd meant I could arrive at Brighton station from London at quarter past seven, wander straight onto a Lewes train (never happened before) and arrive at the Amex in time to get myself the delicious BBQ pork pie.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The club, led by Tony Bloom, clearly has ambitions to take the Albion to the Premier League, but I don't think promises have ever been made. Bloom is far too savvy for that, and clearly recognises that it's an extremely difficult task to achieve.

They would not have been believed anyway. I do not recall people expecting the Premiership in a set time period. People I know hoped for it - but everyone appreciated what a massive task it was going to be. At that time, as I recall, we were just amazed to be playing in such a magnificent stadium and hoping we would be able to compete in the championship.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Where - show me where this was said.

I think it's somewhat unfair to use Premier League Ready' as a stick to beat the club with...

1. It was intended for internal use only.
2. It was used to show a drive for club operations to perform at the highest level - a pursuit of excellence.

To the best of my recollections, the club have never pushed this line at supporters in any way shape or form. The club, led by Tony Bloom, clearly has ambitions to take the Albion to the Premier League, but I don't think promises have ever been made. Bloom is far too savvy for that, and clearly recognises that it's an extremely difficult task to achieve. Regardless of that, the club with all other operations to be the very best they can be. You may not like the PLR line, designed to illustrate that drive, but it wasn't intended for you anyway.

It was a stated plan, 5 years Premiership, of course there were no guarantees attached to it but lets please not pretend this did not happen

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think it's clear we missed our window against Palace, we were never good enough last season. And it was a critical moment in the history of the club (it felt like it at the time, as well). That chance may come along again, or it may not. Had we gone up that season crowds would have gone up to capacity or near every match, but so would prices. We would have recruited, hopefully well, and maybe stayed up on a totally different financial footing.

The next cycle may not come around for a long time, we have to accept that. If Burnley hadn't taken their chance last season, the same could have happened to them - but they did.

Personally I think it might be 10 years, and maybe in the Southampton model if we are lucky enough to get a good crop from the academy. Maybe sell one or two here and there for decent money to the Prem League, and then build a team around a core of talented kids, supplementing with some older heads. This might be from League One.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Didn't rain last night at Amex...Were you watching Champions league?

So it didn't rain at The Amex. But as far as I am aware, not all 16,000 who went last night live in Falmer so the journey would have involved getting wet at some point. And that is enough to put some people off

SAC

May 21, 2014
talking of watching Arsenal on the telly. Thousands of their fans buy tickets for matches but don't turn up on evening matches against clubs like Wigan (or Burnley, Leicester etc) as well...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-higher-than-official-Met-Police-figures.html
(PS: Do we have to have a thread on the attendance vs tickets sold argument *every* time we have a match .)

6000 Arse fans is roughly 10% of their attendance. Last nights actual attendance was almost 40% down. Arse have over 30,000 people on their waiting list for season tickets so probably aren't too worried about fans not turning up. I'd imagine that 15-20% not attending is probably the average for an evening game although the actual figures are probably out there on the www somewhere.

Up until this season there have been plenty of threads bigging up the Amex attendances (someone used to list them in their signature), it's only right that people want to discuss the implications of falling attendances.

Personally, I think it was always going to happen and think that the real attendance figure is still very good. However if the losses are unsustainable with 22,000 ST holders and there is a possibility of less than 20,000 next season then it means that the fans still attending will need to spend more or the overheads will need to be reduced.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is pretty accurate.
Back in our old Division 1 days, we would regularly get around 16,000.
The big Saturday games sometimes brought in more.
I do think that the extra 10,000 that have been at the Amex until recently are actually Brighton fans, but the sort that won't go if we aren't competing near the top.
You know, useless fans.

People don't get it, the club don't care who comes through the door, your albion history, if you went to hereford and Gillingham, it is totally irrelevant now, the only thing that matters is how much money you can bring into the club and these useless fans as you call them brought hundreds of thousands of pounds into the club over the last 3 seasons

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here