Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2014

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Fury

Absolutely Superb. The best War film since Saving Private Ryan imo. Pitt was excellent, as he usually is, a career best turn from Shia LaBeouf and an amazing performance from Logan Lerman as the new recruit, one of the best big film debut I have ever seen. It is intense with incredible battle scenes and a good storyline. It has to be 8.6

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Fury

Absolutely Superb. The best War film since Saving Private Ryan imo. Pitt was excellent, as he usually is, a career best turn from Shia LaBeouf and an amazing performance from Logan Lerman as the new recruit, one of the best big film debut I have ever seen. It is intense with incredible battle scenes and a good storyline. It has to be 8.6

Bugger, I was looking forward to this

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Bugger, I was looking forward to this

Not really any spoilers was there ? The last 20 minutes is amazing especially

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Not really any spoilers was there ? The last 20 minutes is amazing especially

Sorry, I was making a joke that if you liked it must be rubbish. It was only a joke though.
I'm tempted by this but Babadook or whatever sounds very good as well and Interstellar is coming soon

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Last week i went on the Monday with tired eyes to see Ida, the Polish film about an 18-year-old girl on the verge of becoming a nun when she finds out she has a living relative, an aunt. As i said, tired eyes were my ally, so the film washed over me without much being absorbed, which was a shame as my mother and little bro both rated the film. It looked good and there was a sudden shocking moment that woke me fully about three quarters of the way through. All in black and white, but crisp with it. I'll watch again someday soon.

The day after i went to The Babadook. I expected to be scared on Halloween watching it, but wasn't. It was ok and amusing in places, but the horror didn't sting for me and eponymous monster when it appears looks horrendously cheap. The actress playing the mother of the painfully annoying and troubled son was very good and her stressedness carried over reasonably well, but overall i was disappointed. Where i saw, about 20 people present. Upon leaving, i have to ask two of the League of Gentlemen, Mark Gatiss and Reece Shearsmith to shuffle out of my way to get to my bike. I heard them say it wasn't what they'd hoped the film to be either.

Today i Nightcrawler. I liked it, in a dirty way. Jake Gyllenhall gives an excellent performance, his skin squeezing against his bones so that his eyes constantly bulge, as the sociopathic and ultra-ambitious creep who'll do anything to get where he wants to. We see him at the start cutting fences to sell copper and other metals just to get by. When he looks to persuade the tradesman he's selling to of his potential and to take him on even as an intern, the guy sneers and says "Why would i hire a thief?". Gyllenhall walks away and comes across the job of his dreams, roaming the streets at night with a camera to get footage of terrible injuries caused by carjackings and crashes and homicides, all discovered by tapping into police radio lines. He growingly revels in the horror he finds, looking to sell it for a continuously higher price, and one LA news channel buying it at the gallon to reclaim the percentages they've lost. It's a sick combination, but something has you sort of like him in bits, much moreso than DiCaprio's slightly similar character in that lengthy Wolf of Wall St exposé of the heartlessness of greed.
There are a few moments of real tension in it, where the vapid patter he's learned on the internet might almost crack and the murderer inside him threatens to be unleashed. The horrible feeling that someone is about to get hurt and you wince whilst watching takes over. A very black comedy and a very good performance by Gyllenhaal.
*bamf*

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I won't go on at all, but by f*ckstickery that was a generally annoying almost 3 hours of dreary psychobabble, made thrilling a little of the way through, and then finishing with cringeworthy wetness. Interstellar was noise and Matthew McConaughey mostly at his whispering worst after a run of good features. Good for a spell, but mostly draining drivel.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Interstellar
This is quite weird. I remember enjoying it while I watched it, and when I look back on it I look back on a film I enjoyed.

Yet, every other thought I have about it is negative.

I thought it was quite predictable, I had mostly guessed the ending before the film had really got going. I didn't like the constant shots of the outside of the ship rather than showing the ship travelling, the music was a distraction, a piece of casting was deliberately withheld and rather than enhancing my experience of the film, it was a distraction as I tried to remember if I had heard about their casting and forgotten or never knew in the first place.

I thought the ending was done the way it was for the sake of it rather than because it fit the story.

So, I'm in a weird place where I enjoyed it, but only have complaints about it.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Nightcrawler.
Best film I have seen this year. Darkly comic and great performances.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
I'm a sucker for sci-fi and I liked Intersteller.

It was very weird, but I liked the spectacle and of someone making a very personal and individual film on a massive scale.

I can see why people didn't like it and Nolan and McConaghey aren't everyone's cup of tea but I don't see many better directors or actors at the moment who are allowed to make big films.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am surprised at the slagging off, of Interstellar. I thought it was superb and the film of the year. An average 9.0 on imdb from over 150000 people suggests it is not a pile of poo as been suggested on here

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Saw Interstellar. Bit disappointing conclusion but fantastic spectacle all the way through. I enjoyed it.
Fury. A bit aimless but well made and glad it was a dark movie.
Nightcrawler. Hugely overrated. Gyllenhall was excellent, story was rushed and predictable.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I concur Nibble. Interstellar and Fury both excellent for me

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Interstellar is a tad pretentious as Nolan tends to be but it's just a good cinema film.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Interstellar is a tad pretentious as Nolan tends to be but it's just a good cinema film.

Nolan is the business. Fantastic score from Zimmer as well

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Nolan is the business. Fantastic score from Zimmer as well

Although I enjoyed interstellar Nolan trashed the last promising Batman franchise, made one great one then two awful films. And Inception was dogshit.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Although I enjoyed interstellar Nolan trashed the last promising Batman franchise, made one great one then two awful films. And Inception was dogshit.

Blimey

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton

Wait, are you saying that The Dark Knight was awful?

ZnBDA4E.gif

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I didn't like them. The 2nd batman film was watchable, Heath ledger was pretty tame as the joker, last one was shocking, just a terrible film. I switched inception off after about 40 mins. Hey, that's why they make thousands of films each year, we all like different things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here