Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice man Hughton faces tough decisions

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
looking at that list we could be struggling to make the 8 home grown players required in the 25. As I understand the ruling, only English and Welsh players qualify so players like Duffy and Murphy don't, but I could be reading this wrong and be happy to be corrected.
Good point.

Rosenior
Dunk
March
Baldock
Murray
Goldson
(Stephens)
(Sidwell)
(Stockdale)

I assume Norwood doesn't count either.

So it is a little tight.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I'm another who thinks we are reasonably served at the back subject to poc signing and goldson being fit.
I believe we won't be playing 442 next year. Most premier league teams tend to favour three in there and with the extra quality we may get over run.
So midfield needs additions plus a quick nimble footed number 10 type. Going for 4 in

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
For me the only players I would be selling/releasing are;

Lua Lua
Ince
Skalak
Sidwell (would love to give him a coaching role though)

Why Sidwell just out of interest? When called on he has been good, especially usually between long runs without games. Also one of the most experienced premier league players we have ?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Surely the whole 'nicest guy in football' thing comes from people who have worked alongside CH not under him. We all know what a great guy he is, but like Soulman says, I suspect he is no soft touch when you're playing for him.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Good point.

Rosenior
Dunk
March
Baldock
Murray
Goldson
(Stephens)
(Sidwell)
(Stockdale)

I assume Norwood doesn't count either.

So it is a little tight.

He was born in Burnley so I think he is OK. Even Duffy could be OK as he was signed by Everton when only 18 and could qualify under the three year rule.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Why Sidwell just out of interest? When called on he has been good, especially usually between long runs without games. Also one of the most experienced premier league players we have ?

Just my opinion but I don't think Sidwell has the legs for the Premier League. I love the man hence hoping he gets a coaching role. Maybe squad player for cup games etc..

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just my opinion but I don't think Sidwell has the legs for the Premier League. I love the man hence hoping he gets a coaching role. Maybe squad player for cup games etc..

Fair enough. One thing I'd say is realistically we should be looking at the bottom half of the table next season and how we win games against those. Is the gap between the top 6 of the Championship and bottom 10 of the Premier League that big ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think back to last season in the summer, and the last thing most people thought we needed was a centre back. We then bring in Duffy at the expense of our club captain, and our defence was again improved - dramatically.

Hughton will have targets for particular positions, but I also think he'll snap up a player who is available if he thinks they'll strengthen us, even if it is a position we have good cover/ability for.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I wouldn't have even listed Skalak because although he isn't a naturally gifted player he doesn't get injured, he has a high fitness level and a good fighting spirit. He has the whole summer to fine tune and work on his weaknesses and deserves his chance like all the other players who have played a role this season. At 25 he is still learning his craft so it's not as though he has even reached his peak.

Hughton will decide who he can trust to make the step up, they all have to fight for their places, and if it doesn't work out for any of them we have the January window.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I admire the way Hughton distanced himself from the player celebrations. He knows that getting involved will make the job of letting some of them go so much harder. This way the head can still rule the heart.

For me there are question marks about ability to thrive in the Prem for Bruno, Rosenior, Kayal, Hemed - proven Championship players and Albion heroes, but can they cut it?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Murray didn't struggle in the Prem. He scored goals when he played. He just didn't get a proper chance. If he played every game next season I think he could get 15-20 goals.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
As someone posted "Evolution not Revolution."

Remember a quote from Klopp "you don't have to be the best team to win matches."

Game management, spirit and work ethic goes along way.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I admire the way Hughton distanced himself from the player celebrations. He knows that getting involved will make the job of letting some of them go so much harder. This way the head can still rule the heart.

For me there are question marks about ability to thrive in the Prem for Bruno, Rosenior, Kayal, Hemed - proven Championship players and Albion heroes, but can they cut it?

Well many say that the Prem is played at a different pace. To get out of the Championship is all about the battle and I wouldn't want to judge any of the players levels until we see them compete at the next level. I think Hemed will be fine, he's just the sort of player we need, and there is more to come from him.

We are going up as a team, not as individuals, and they have the whole summer to fine tune their team play and work on their weaknesses. Every one of our players will be working really hard over the summer and they all deserve the benefit of the doubt after winning promotion as the title winners.

My only interest is who we get in, not who we think can't step up a level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here