Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If anyones interested ..... more money saving at B&HAFC

BrightonPara

Apr 6, 2012
The Safety Officer (Chris Baker) has been made 'redundant'. Obviously keeping us safe on match days is no longer a priority, they have replaced him with an Ex-Post Office guy! He is also has several other positions around the stadium, so is not a dedicated Safety Officer. Several leading figures within the match day set up walked out with him!

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I believe there was a disagreement between Chris and a very senior manager that led to this "redundancy"

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Heard about this in the week, allegedly he is not allowed to say what happened as part of the exit package.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
It's all falling apart before our very eyes.

220px-Three_wheels_on_my_wagon_cropped.jpg

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Like to know how much the club has spent on shutting people up since a certain individual rode into town.

ah ha ..

when sitting in the stands yesterday I commented on all the crowd wearing the bright orange shirts, now I know my suspicions were well founded ... the club designed this colour so it appears the stands have hundreds to stewards and can get rid of the others.

Job done, grownd compliant with steward numbers, old ones no longer on the payroll, and having had the benefit of selling the Orange clad stewards their shirts. Brilliant business.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Nothing going on that doesn't happen in businesses up and down the country day by day.
Not that it'll stop those with a penchant for putting a spin on anything that might stir a bit of shit.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
A long time since I did employment law, but how can you make the function of Safety officer redundant? Are they not going to have one, or are they going to give the job another fancy title?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A long time since I did employment law, but how can you make the function of Safety officer redundant? Are they not going to have one, or are they going to give the job another fancy title?

Who said he was made redundant ?

What has happened is standard practice you make then an offer to leave or a compromise solution as it is called where I work.

BrightonPara

Apr 6, 2012

They have created a new position from what I believe; The Security & Safety Manager. Which originally was done by 1 person as the Safety Officer, the position was then split between a Safety Officer and Security Manager, now to yet again to save more of our match day money they have created one job and paying that person a lot less than the redundant Chris Baker.

There were notable absentees' from his leaving do according to a client of mine.

Stadium Manager
Security Manager
Anyone from the HR department
Anyone from the Board
Paul Barber

Yet some 150plus stewards and security made the effort.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The OP started with this sentence "The Safety Officer (Chris Baker) has been made 'redundant'"

"redundant" is the clue, compromise solution when you get rid of an employee you don't want - does not mean the actual job position goes.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Interesting , perhaps the new one will let the kids actually wave their flags during the match and not confiscate them until the end of the game , no seriously they do , and stop threatening supporters with ejection for throwing the ball back on to the pitch !!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
They have created a new position from what I believe; The Security & Safety Manager. Which originally was done by 1 person as the Safety Officer, the position was then split between a Safety Officer and Security Manager, now to yet again to save more of our match day money they have created one job and paying that person a lot less than the redundant Chris Baker.

There were notable absentees' from his leaving do according to a client of mine.

Stadium Manager
Security Manager
Anyone from the HR department
Anyone from the Board
Paul Barber

Yet some 150plus stewards and security made the effort.

So those responsible for his departure (with some apparent acrimony) didn't attend the "leaving do". But those who worked under him did? Nothing unusual there to be fair. Who organised this "do" strangely also attended by his (invited?) mates among the fans? My guess is he and his pals did and as such suggests it was maybe not an official leaving do. Hardly a surprise none of his erstwhile bosses didn't attend. I'd guess they weren't invited.
I do understand that his pals are upset for him but we actually know nothing (and are highly unlikely to hear anything even vaguely reliable) regarding the actual back story. On that basis this is a great forum for sounding-off but not one for objectivity.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here