Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
The Grand Union Canal Race is one immense race! Words can't really describe it, but ill quickly scribble something done! Firstly The heat and humidity was the worst thing to contend with tbh and the first night was a relief.. but the next day was hotter with no wind. You know that it's a big race when at 50 miles people are wishing you good luck! The first 100 miles were fine, I set a pb of just over 24hrs.. I grinded out the 'last' 45 miles as my legs were feeling a bit dead! Never really felt tiredness like it as bushs turned into people and faces were fences! A couple of kicks up the arse by assorted buddy runners and check point crew got me moving around 125 and by the last 3 I was running! The final 6 miles though just went on and on. Also with a thunder storm and heavy rain I just had enough, but thought if I didn't run it in i might get hypothermia.. but I made it and after a kip my head is refreshed but my legs are a bit stiff obviously. I think I could definitely do it in a better time, but wouldn't do anything differently as in prep etc. It's just a fine line between dropping and finishing I'm just glad I finished! There's probably more to write down.. but I'm just relieved that it's done and onto the weakest link!

Just fantastic. Brilliant achievement, well done!!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Who's in for Worthing Sunday? Long Range forecast thankfully suggests a much cooler run this year c.16 degrees, however winds scheduled to be around 16MPH so could be quite gusty.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
The Grand Union Canal Race is one immense race! Words can't really describe it, but ill quickly scribble something done! Firstly The heat and humidity was the worst thing to contend with tbh and the first night was a relief.. but the next day was hotter with no wind. You know that it's a big race when at 50 miles people are wishing you good luck! The first 100 miles were fine, I set a pb of just over 24hrs.. I grinded out the 'last' 45 miles as my legs were feeling a bit dead! Never really felt tiredness like it as bushs turned into people and faces were fences! A couple of kicks up the arse by assorted buddy runners and check point crew got me moving around 125 and by the last 3 I was running! The final 6 miles though just went on and on. Also with a thunder storm and heavy rain I just had enough, but thought if I didn't run it in i might get hypothermia.. but I made it and after a kip my head is refreshed but my legs are a bit stiff obviously. I think I could definitely do it in a better time, but wouldn't do anything differently as in prep etc. It's just a fine line between dropping and finishing I'm just glad I finished! There's probably more to write down.. but I'm just relieved that it's done and onto the weakest link!
I left replying to see if I could come up with some appropriate words. But I can't. Words are still failing me.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Who's in for Worthing Sunday? Long Range forecast thankfully suggests a much cooler run this year c.16 degrees, however winds scheduled to be around 16MPH so could be quite gusty.

A 10k, on the road, at pace? No thanks :p Might come along and watch though, if I'm around.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Thank you all for your very kind words. I promise if I do it again, I won't make such a bloody meal of it :smile: ... Looking forward to meeting/running with some of you soon.

I'm still trying to get to grips with the thought of someone doing it. Incredible, well done!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

In but will be pleased with sub 50 this year. Be nice if it's cooler than last two years.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Me! First race for nearly a year. Mark aka [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] is in too. Both of us trying to spur the other on to sub 50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Looks like the Worthing 10K is full. I was thinking of doing it but that rather makes the decision for me. Last year it was boiling hot and a guy had his hose spraying over runners. Well I think it was his hose.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck at Worthing 10k everyone. Too long for me. Achilles still playing up and limiting running to just a weekly Parkrun. Other days spent walking the Downs. Jesus booked but his congregation has increased so much that's not till next Friday.
Tomorrow walking the Seven Sisters return and Saturday the Parkrun tour takes me to Eastbourne, after camping on a farm 5 miles to the north (sounds better than Hailsham).

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
THE FORCES MARCH 2018
@forcesmarch
Entries open for next year now
Give it a go if your brave enough
Run from Ilfracombe to Bulford
134 miles in 5 days all on road and retrace the famous walk that the Ox and Bucks carried out prior to Pegasus Bridge in 1944

Well organised and great little charity that helps all Veterans in need

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Good luck at Worthing 10k everyone. Too long for me. Achilles still playing up and limiting running to just a weekly Parkrun. Other days spent walking the Downs. Jesus booked but his congregation has increased so much that's not till next Friday.
Tomorrow walking the Seven Sisters return and Saturday the Parkrun tour takes me to Eastbourne, after camping on a farm 5 miles to the north (sounds better than Hailsham).

I'm planning Eastbourne park run. Provided you survive a night in the "sham" I'll see you there

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Eastbourne parkrun goes into my 'OK' category. Not much to distinguish it. Done it once but wouldn't do it again. Good luck! I'll be at Worthing, 'Home of the PB'..........unless it's windy, which it almost always is.

At 9 miles it's my closest park run and have learnt to enjoy it. My next closest is Hastings and the newly created peacehaven both about 15 miles away. Plan to do Hastings soon and then Tunbridge wells. May try Worthing in the autumn when I'm hoping to be chasing a new pb

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
At 9 miles it's my closest park run and have learnt to enjoy it. My next closest is Hastings and the newly created peacehaven both about 15 miles away. Plan to do Hastings soon and then Tunbridge wells. May try Worthing in the autumn when I'm hoping to be chasing a new pb

21-9 is your Parkrun venue tally to mine. You win again and I've included Cardiff , where I forgot the barcode, and Eastbourne, to be run Saturday.

I believe you may be the NSC play away Parkrun champion.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
21-9 is your Parkrun venue tally to mine. You win again and I've included Cardiff , where I forgot the barcode, and Eastbourne, to be run Saturday.

I believe you may be the NSC play away Parkrun champion.

5-9 you win. Don't try and label me the NSC parkrun tart. If I was a gambling man I'd have my money on [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] for that one

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here