Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
Hard run that can't believe you did it twice!

Lol - I'm cr*p with technolog so took me 10mins to work out how to download my Garmin to my phone, take a screenshot and then post (twice)

The hardest part I'm finding with the trail running is the downward stretches as opposed to the hills. Just don't have the balls yet 2 really let go when it's loose, narrow and flinty underfoot!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If we have replacements lined up then let's promote from the stiffs!

It will give them much needed big race experience and they'll learn lots from running with the Super Ego's.

I'm just going to go out for a run now. Haven't run since Tuesday but had a bucket full of booze last night in Stockholm so it will be pretty slow.

Right spirit. That's another option. Yet another is to mix the super egos with team B so they can compete against each other. As long as we get 12 on the day it doesn't matter as it's certainly a non serious event. We can decide the teams at the time. So calling [MENTION=1561]lost in london[/MENTION] you need to step up. What's your 5k at the moment?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lol - I'm cr*p with technolog so took me 10mins to work out how to download my Garmin to my phone, take a screenshot and then post (twice)

The hardest part I'm finding with the trail running is the downward stretches as opposed to the hills. Just don't have the balls yet 2 really let go when it's loose, narrow and flinty underfoot!

Me too......usually get overtaken on downhill bits because I don't have the technique or cojones to really open up. Frustrating !

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I love the downhill. You just throw yourself down there and hope for the best. You did it too fast for me anyway.
May need you as reserve for a NSC relay team 7pm Brighton Marina Wednesday 21 June. 5k run in total. OK at moment but two doubtfulls waiting on an injury and work commitments.

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
I love the downhill. You just throw yourself down there and hope for the best. You did it too fast for me anyway.
May need you as reserve for a NSC relay team 7pm Brighton Marina Wednesday 21 June. 5k run in total. OK at moment but two doubtfulls waiting on an injury and work commitments.

By all means do put me down as a reserve :smile: Happy to join if required. Cheers

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

By all means do put me down as a reserve :smile: Happy to join if required. Cheers

Will let you know when the lazy, sciving, sick notes make their minds up.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Right spirit. That's another option. Yet another is to mix the super egos with team B so they can compete against each other. As long as we get 12 on the day it doesn't matter as it's certainly a non serious event. We can decide the teams at the time. So calling [MENTION=1561]lost in london[/MENTION] you need to step up. What's your 5k at the moment?

Happy with either option. I've never entered this event before, so looking forward to a run and working as a team. If we need more I've got three mates who all run sub 20 who might be interested.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Me too......usually get overtaken on downhill bits because I don't have the technique or cojones to really open up. Frustrating !

I'm with you on this. Back in the day when I used to do cross-country events I'd routinely pass a bunch of guys going uphill who would then steam pass me going down. On longer courses this pattern would be repeated with boring regularity.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Managed 8 miles myself - on the Downs! Yes, I abandoned my traditional seafront track and essentially did one large hill repeat up to the Dyke and back via Benfield Valley using the route [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] roughly specced out a summer or two ago.

Great fun, frustratingly slow (don't normally have to do gates, steep banks, horses and dogs but was kind of social, everyone says good morning in the countryside) and wonderful on my knees. No pain at all as I type. Will be doing again.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1030941523

Good man – it's great out there, glad you enjoyed it, but don't get put off by the times – they go out the window.

I went the other way and ran on the sand and stones of Lancing and Shoreham beaches – more training for Beat The Tide. Replace sea water for puddles and quicksand for mud and it's a pretty similar experience!

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Nurse it carefully. Good luck tomorrow. Don't overdo it I'm sure [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] can go well under 23" on his road to recovery and leave us in the C team.

No major issues this time at Hove park, went round in 23.45 so I've lost a little time based on previous weeks, will be trying to get this back soon and I'll be fine to line up with Team C on the 21st...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Right in the spirit of Weakest Link we should try and stick to our NSC members. So we need to form a coalition with the super egos [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and a DUP(e) from Team B.

Looks to me like the promotion in self status goes to [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] or [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION]. Both banging on the sub 20 door but both coming back from niggles and capable of sub 21. Post your current times and the fastest gets the EASY first leg for the super egos. The time difference is not great as who ever runs leg 4 should go so fast on their solo 2.5KM that they will lose a minute when they go straight back out with the team. Runner A would have had 27+ minutes rest by then.

We are waiting on [MENTION=1561]lost in london[/MENTION] to confirm entry and [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] to check work commitments and @Gypsy King as first reserve. All looking good. Get out and do some flat out half mile or 1 mile intervals today or tomorrow to give plenty of time for race day.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Right in the spirit of Weakest Link we should try and stick to our NSC members. So we need to form a coalition with the super egos [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and a DUP(e) from Team B.

Looks to me like the promotion in self status goes to [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] or [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION]. Both banging on the sub 20 door but both coming back from niggles and capable of sub 21. Post your current times and the fastest gets the EASY first leg for the super egos. The time difference is not great as who ever runs leg 4 should go so fast on their solo 2.5KM that they will lose a minute when they go straight back out with the team. Runner A would have had 27+ minutes rest by then.

We are waiting on [MENTION=1561]lost in london[/MENTION] to confirm entry and [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] to check work commitments and @Gypsy King as first reserve. All looking good. Get out and do some flat out half mile or 1 mile intervals today or tomorrow to give plenty of time for race day.

My ongoing niggles now leave me doubtful im going to make this. Struggled to walk after Saturdays park run with pain running up my heel. Things aren't much better today and seeing Physio on Thursday when I'll know more. Think it's Achilles tendinitis which I've had once before and meant no running for 3 weeks.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My ongoing niggles now leave me doubtful im going to make this. Struggled to walk after Saturdays park run with pain running up my heel. Things aren't much better today and seeing Physio on Thursday when I'll know more. Think it's Achilles tendinitis which I've had once before and meant no running for 3 weeks.

Sounds bad. We'll see what happens after the physio on Thursday. Is it Tom? Jesus has a 2 week waiting list now which is ridiculous. I may be unfaithful in future.

Just had 4 half mile intervals at 6:25 pace. Great feeling but ready to drop at 2 miles as no stamina. Rest achilles till Saturday now.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Sounds bad. We'll see what happens after the physio on Thursday. Is it Tom? Jesus has a 2 week waiting list now which is ridiculous. I may be unfaithful in future.

Just had 4 half mile intervals at 6:25 pace. Great feeling but ready to drop at 2 miles as no stamina. Rest achilles till Saturday now.

If you don't mind driving to Eastbourne Paul Mealling 01323439738 is very good and a fellow runner. Can usually see him within 48 hours.

Good to see things are coming back. You'll soon be knocking on the super elite door again

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I'm also a member of the dodgy Achilles club. This evening I've had a session with the ice-pack and the roller (ouch!) to nip the problem in the bud. Did a 10 miler today - hot but not complaining as not much of a wind which makes a nice change.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I'm also a member of the dodgy Achilles club. This evening I've had a session with the ice-pack and the roller (ouch!) to nip the problem in the bud. Did a 10 miler today - hot but not complaining as not much of a wind which makes a nice change.

Lovely day for a 10 mile run. Nice to make the most of the long summer days.

I've been icing which helps with the swelling but hadn't thought to try the roller on it. I'll give it a go and if you have any other tips hopefully less painful id like to hear them.

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Trying to establish relative difficulty of local park run courses. Anyone care to rank / group the following Peacehaven, hove park, hove promenade, preston park, eastbourne, Worthing, Clair park and Bevendean.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Trying to establish relative difficulty of local park run courses. Anyone care to rank / group the following Peacehaven, hove park, hove promenade, preston park, eastbourne, Worthing, Clair park and Bevendean.

I'll give it a bash, starting with the toughest at the top:

Bevendean
Peacehaven
Preston park
Hove park
Hove promenade
Worthing

If Eastbourne is a straight out and back along the front then it would be between Hove Prom and Worthing. I've no idea about Clair park, I don't even know where it is, let alone run around it.

For all those looking for healing, Emily Proto (her of first place at Worthing 10k and generally running very quickly for Arena) has set herself up in the sports massage world. I have NO idea if she's any good, but she'll know what she's on about from her own experiences and she's a top girl. http://www.protosportsmassage.com/bookonline

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'll give it a bash, starting with the toughest at the top:

Bevendean
Peacehaven
Preston park
Hove park
Hove promenade
Worthing

If Eastbourne is a straight out and back along the front then it would be between Hove Prom and Worthing. I've no idea about Clair park, I don't even know where it is, let alone run around it.

For all those looking for healing, Emily Proto (her of first place at Worthing 10k and generally running very quickly for Arena) has set herself up in the sports massage world. I have NO idea if she's any good, but she'll know what she's on about from her own experiences and she's a top girl. http://www.protosportsmassage.com/bookonline

Good shout. Most dependent on wind direction on day. So assume favourable conditions for each. I'd put Hove Park before PP although yet to do PP. Eastbourne is around Shinewater Lake flat but not all on paths so hard in the wet perhaps. Clair Park no idea so give it third place. Hasting's is the fastest for me.

Bevendean
Peacehaven
Clair Park
Eastbourne
Hove Park
Preston park
Hove promenade
Worthing

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills