Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's Best Pub 2015 anyone?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Thank f*ck it's not just me.

They all have a very similar ale selection (which, by the way, are the cheapest they can find), and charge more than other pubs for them. They tend to stock loads of pale ales and often nothing else. I've seen 5 Pale ales in the Prince George and 7 (seven) in the Good Companions with no alternatives. And they all have the same shiny tables and decor.

I appreciate not everyone is a Harveys boy like me, but there's such a lack of Harveys in Brighton now as these companies refuse to stock premium products.

Yep, Indigo pubs = Langhams, the occasional WJ Kings and Firebird. Drink in Brighton = Laine's Best and all the other rubbish they make at the North Laine, occasional Dark Star and some Long Man. Though Harvey's do not help themselves, a barrel of Harvey's is 25% more expensive than the equivalent from Long Man for example, that kind of money soon adds up for struggling pubs.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
When I was younger - much younger - The Hove Place was THE place to go if you fancied shagging a coked up forty something divorcee. Apparently that's Misty's now.

If that's what you want, join the New Venture Theatre. It's membership is almost exclusively divorced, alcoholic but still shaggable women.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013

They all have a very similar ale selection (which, by the way, are the cheapest they can find), and charge more than other pubs for them. They tend to stock loads of pale ales and often nothing else. I've seen 5 Pale ales in the Prince George and 7 (seven) in the Good Companions with no alternatives. And they all have the same shiny tables and decor.

I appreciate not everyone is a Harveys boy like me, but there's such a lack of Harveys in Brighton now as these companies refuse to stock premium products.
You're right about the ales, it's great to see so many local ales but needa a few darker ones. I don't mind the pubs they have that feel a little different, say the Preston Park Tavern and Hare and hounds, but the samey nature of some of them is shit.

What are the Drink in Brighton chain pubs? Not so familiar with them.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Isn't Hove Place owned by that w@nkspanner who thinks he's a lion? Sorry, but that pub has no place on any list of good pubs in B&H.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere

Couple of things, how do you know the ales are the cheapest they can find? As far as I know Indigo stock exclusively sussex ales. And their refusal to stock premium products? They don't stock Harveys correct but being in the trade their prices can be prohibitive which is understandable as they manage their own pubs so have to serve their interests.

Aug 18, 2013
Yep, Indigo pubs = Langhams, the occasional WJ Kings and Firebird. Drink in Brighton = Laine's Best and all the other rubbish they make at the North Laine, occasional Dark Star and some Long Man. Though Harvey's do not help themselves, a barrel of Harvey's is 25% more expensive than the equivalent from Long Man for example, that kind of money soon adds up for struggling pubs.
I read the North Laine head brewer had been replaced so hopefully they are brewing some more tasty ales.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
You're right about the ales, it's great to see so many local ales but needa a few darker ones. I don't mind the pubs they have that feel a little different, say the Preston Park Tavern and Hare and hounds, but the samey nature of some of them is shit.

What are the Drink in Brighton chain pubs? Not so familiar with them.

Think of a pub in Brighton. It is Drink in Brighton. :lolol:

This is the full list of their pubs:

Ancient Mariner, Bath Arms, Black Lion, Dead Wax Social, Earth and Stars, Exchange, Fiddlers Elbow, Fishbowl, Fortune of War, Fountain Head, Freemasons, Globe, Hampton, Hope an Ruin, Islingword Inn, Marlborough, Mash Tun, Mesmerist, Norfolk, North Laine, Open House, Quadrant, Riki Tik's Beach Bar, Saint George's, Shakespeare's Head, Sidewinder, Signalman, Sticky Mike's, Tempest, Thomas Kemp, Three Graces, Victory, Western Front, White Rabbit and World's End.

Note, these are not nominations. If anything I would like them to be considered as minus ones against these identikit excuses for public houses.

The only one I go in is the World's End as Barbecue Shack food is so good it is worth putting up with a really shit pub.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011

His car has a Lion registration plate, he's actually quite scary up close. The older brother of the Cowardly Lion who went into business, to be fair he does smoke a pipe which somehow adds to the effect. Sure he's a nice chap but would love to know about the whole Lion thing - must be a story there?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If that's what you want, join the New Venture Theatre. It's membership is almost exclusively divorced, alcoholic but still shaggable women.

God no Nibs. I was just putting it out there. Like a public information film but with more rotters.

Aug 18, 2013
Think of a pub in Brighton. It is Drink in Brighton. [emoji38]ol:

Ancient Mariner, Bath Arms, Black Lion, Dead Wax Social, Earth and Stars, Exchange, Fiddlers Elbow, Fishbowl, Fortune of War, Fountain Head, Freemasons, Globe, Hampton, Hope an Ruin, Islingword Inn, Marlborough, Mash Tun, Mesmerist, Norfolk, North Laine, Open House, Quadrant, Riki Tik's Beach Bar, Saint George's, Shakespeare's Head, Sidewinder, Signalman, Sticky Mike's, Tempest, Thomas Kemp, Three Graces, Victory, Western Front, White Rabbit and World's End.

Note, these are not nominations. If anything I would like them to be considered as minus ones against these identikit excuses for public houses.

The only one I go in is the World's End as Barbecue Shack food is so good it is worth putting up with a really shit pub.
Now you say that I can see the similarities in beer selection. But perhaps because I didn't know the connection (and only visit a handful of thee regularly) I don't find the chain thing as 'in your face' as the Indigo ones. Interesting, cheers.

Btw, why is the hope now the hope and ruin? I assume it's traditional, but it's a shit name.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Think of a pub in Brighton. It is Drink in Brighton. :lolol:

Never new of Drink in Brighton but have always quite liked Fiddler's Elbow!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Now you say that I can see the similarities in beer selection. But perhaps because I didn't know the connection (and only visit a handful of thee regularly) I don't find the chain thing as 'in your face' as the Indigo ones. Interesting, cheers.

Btw, why is the hope now the hope and ruin? I assume it's traditional, but it's a shit name.

Do not know. I really hate the 'shabby chic' decor of that place. Especially the outside, it just looks like it is about to fall down, weird thing to do, imo.

Traditional for that place, to me, is calling it The Pig in Paradise but I suppose someone older will be along shortly to tell us what it was called in the 70s.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Isn't Hove Place owned by that w@nkspanner who thinks he's a lion? Sorry, but that pub has no place on any list of good pubs in B&H.

Dave Day. He owns quite a few places around B&H although I am not sure he still owns Hove Place. You can often see him driving round in his Orange and Yellow cromed Bentley.

He's done a lot for himself for someone who essentially started out as a knocker boy.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Do not know. I really hate the 'shabby chic' decor of that place. Especially the outside, it just looks like it is about to fall down, weird thing to do, imo.

Traditional for that place, to me, is calling it The Pig in Paradise but I suppose someone older will be along shortly to tell us what it was called in the 70s.

Wasn't the pig in paradise just off western rd? I can remember it being called polar central early 2000's

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Not only does he own it but he frequents it: sounding vaguely menacing down the mobile to someone who's presumably wronged him. It's always a lovely bit of local colour.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here