Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Badly behaved children ruining British pubs

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Don't like kids in pubs but I know pubs have to turn a profit. What really annoys me is people reserving tables in pubs. Used to be you'd walk into a pub and every now and again a party had reserved a table. Seems every weekend day now we go into a boozer, get our pints and go to a table. Reserved for Flo at 6pm. Go to another. Reserved for Dave at 5pm
Seems to happen loads after work on a Friday. You end up propping up the bar all night, 6 deep while others try to get served as the reservers swan on half an hour later, half the pub standing up while they sashay over to their empty table.
Yes. I know I could reserve a table but we never think of it til we head to the pub.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Don't like kids in pubs but I know pubs have to turn a profit. What really annoys me is people reserving tables in pubs. Used to be you'd walk into a pub and every now and again a party had reserved a table. Seems every weekend day now we go into a boozer, get our pints and go to a table. Reserved for Flo at 6pm. Go to another. Reserved for Dave at 5pm
Seems to happen loads after work on a Friday. You end up propping up the bar all night, 6 deep while others try to get served as the reservers swan on half an hour later, half the pub standing up while they sashay over to their empty table.
Yes. I know I could reserve a table but we never think of it til we head to the pub.

Unless the 'Reserved' sign is actually nailed to the table, you KNOW what to do...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Unless the 'Reserved' sign is actually nailed to the table, you KNOW what to do...

Yep, I always bin the sign and sit down now. Usually okay unless an eagle eyes Barman spots you.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Definitely blame the parents. Although, if the Albion had had a crappy start to the season, I'm sure we'd be finding a way to blame Paul Barber.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yep, I always bin the sign and sit down now. Usually okay unless an eagle eyes Barman spots you.

Was sat outside at the Park View one Friday a couple of weeks back. Mid-afternoon DAFT Bint of a barmaid comes round and puts all these sheets of A4 with RESERVED on, on most of the tables. presumably to accommodate the twelve tribes of estate agents that infest the area. As luck would have it, it was a windy day and they all blew straight back off again :lolol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Was sat outside at the Park View one Friday a couple of weeks back. Mid-afternoon DAFT Bint of a barmaid comes round and puts all these sheets of A4 with RESERVED on, on most of the tables. presumably to accommodate the twelve tribes of estate agents that infest the area. As luck would have it, it was a windy day and they all blew straight back off again :lolol:

Ha! Hove Place is one of the worst offenders. It's got a lovely garden/patio area but it's almost impossible to find a table that isn't reserved and they always have staff outside to police it. Ridiculous. First come first served.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
HATE Kids in pubs throwing their food everywhere & Kids on holiday screaming because Mum wont buy them an ice cream. I avoid places that have these.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We live in the first world so it's very likely our problems will be first world problems.

Just try some relaxation techniques for later so that you can cope with the first reserved sign when you come across it. :thumbsup:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I don't care if there are children in pubs or not, just as long as they keep out of the way of the strippers.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I hate this. I have a son of 7 and whenever we go into a pub I make sure he sits down and doesn't disturb others. He's never let out of my sight. If only all other parents had the same mentality.

Bugs me as well when you're sat trying to enjoy a meal in peace and kids are running around screaming while the parents sit there oblivious. It's not that hard to just tell them to sit still for an hour, it's basic manners.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've always disliked kids in pubs ever since I accidentally kneed one in the side of the head when I turned around to go to the toilet and sent the little lad flying. I just wasn't expecting someone with a knee high head to come barrelling between 2 tables. Had a massive argument with the mum and very nearly came to blows with the dad over it after nearly knocking little Dwayne out and being told I should look where I'm going, watch for kids etc when it's them who should be controlling their kids.....

Anyway

Apart from incident I don't have a problem with it as long as they behave themselves. I now have a one year old and avoided pubs for 8 months as I didn't want to annoy people with a baby. As little'un is just beginning to walk it's hard work trying to keep her quiet and entertained. As soon as she starts kicking up a fuss we used to leave feeling embarrassed when the looks started from other disgruntled customers. Luckily the landlady of The Hassocks has a daughter 2 months younger and spends time in the bar with theirs so we can relax a little and when it's quiet we let the two of them have a crawl about and enjoy the space as our flat is small.

But as soon as it starts getting busy we put a stop to it and spend 20 minutes trying to stop them fidgeting and whining while we finish our drink and head off.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
[h=1]Badly behaved children ruining British pubs[/h]
Personally, I am not worried about noisy kids in a pub. In some of them it's the families that keeps these places alive unlike the pensioner who has one shandy for the whole evening but I o understand that other people do not like their presence and a pub should be no place for children.

Do we have that many "proper" pubs left ? They're all so keen on doing good food, there's fery few traditional hostelies remaining. With the food comes a different clientele and that includes children. Now, personally, being of a certain age and not being able to drink much any more due to kidney failure and bowel cancer plus liking my food, I have no problem with this culture - mostly I'm eating too late for kids to be around.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The key to visiting pubs as a parent of 3 kids is a bit of research ahead of a visit.

Always looking for outside space preferably with play equipment. I'll often call ahead to see if they have separate areas, or space off to a side somewhere, especially if meeting others with kids. My kids can be well behaved at a table, but they need to be engaged, and it needs to be for about an hour, hour and a half at most. When I say engaged, chatted to, bring a card game, some colouring or something. Prefer to never have any devices at any meal table ever. They're not going to sit there good as gold for a 3 course meal, but a main and maybe a pudding and they're fine.

I think we've done pretty well it not disturbing others over the years, and in keeping to pubs that are generally geared up to catering for kids, think that is fair enough, and don't think we've ever been in a pub with them after 7 or 8pm.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Muddy boots and dogs welcome. If well behaved, children too.

That's the sign by my local. It's a bit in jest but if you read between the lines the landlord is making a point. Dogs are better behaved than many kids today and muddy boots less of a problem too. PARENTS! Get Control!!! ;)

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I've always disliked kids in pubs ever since I accidentally kneed one in the side of the head when I turned around to go to the toilet and sent the little lad flying. I just wasn't expecting someone with a knee high head to come barrelling between 2 tables. Had a massive argument with the mum and very nearly came to blows with the dad over it after nearly knocking little Dwayne out and being told I should look where I'm going, watch for kids etc when it's them who should be controlling their kids....

That really made me laugh even though I feel that I shouldn't have. Was having lunch with some friends and one of the girls was trying to eat hers with some kid climbing onto the back of her chair while the mother ignored him. It was only when I said in a loud voice "perhaps you would like to sit with Mummy" that the mother told him to sit down! Why couldn't she realise for herself that you do not let your child climb all over someone they don't know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here