Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there more business to be done for us in the transfer window?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
CH has said he wants another striker. As far as I am aware he hasn't said how difficult and complicated it is, which to me is a good sign as every time we are about to fail to sign a striker, this is the lead in comment.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Hughton has said one in and Ince & Manu out on loan.
Given the way we seem to play the transfer game I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 or even 3 come in :lol:
I wonder if reciprocally we need another out to make it happen or if he has backing to just do the business. I'm guessing if it's a striker he's shopping for then buying is preferred over loaning. The net doesn't seem to have many rumours.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
CH has said he wants another striker. As far as I am aware he hasn't said how difficult and complicated it is, which to me is a good sign as every time we are about to fail to sign a striker, this is the lead in comment.

Agreed, our expectations are usually managed with that massive health warning. To be fair though, it's not easy bringing in a known successful striker and equally a gamble on the unknowns. Taking one from a league down hasn't proved to be a winning formula for us either.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
When you play 2 strikers, you need to have 4 in your squad. If we only have 3 at the end of the window then I assume Hughton thinks one of the under 23's or Elvis are ready to make the step up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When you play 2 strikers, you need to have 4 in your squad. If we only have 3 at the end of the window then I assume Hughton thinks one of the under 23's or Elvis are ready to make the step up.

No you don't, you need at least 5.
4 is cutting it fine, but it appears the club is closing in on 'beggars can't be choosers' territory.

I'd love (not as much as the club) for #5, the benchwarmer, to be a yoof product.
But as they and Elvis have been conspicuous by their league absence this season, I assume they aren't even good enough for that.

I can't begin to imagine how frustrating this window has been, for the club.
They've known about this position for over a year and still can't get the deal done.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Diego Rolan was watched by us according to reports in France. The same article mentions that Bayern, Man utd and Norwich also watched him. That will mean he's of to Norwich then!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
They've known about this position for over a year and still can't get the deal done.

to be fair they've got all their targets...eventually Murray, Sidwell, Norwood, Duffy (eventually) and Pritchard (hours away one presumes) would have been very nice thank you.
but hey. The current regime aren't bad at getting who they want.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Dack in, nobody out.

Ince and Elvis out on loan.

Stephens back in the starting 11 and 3 wins on the bounce.

Happy days.

Wasn't happy day for you the other day. You basically moaned about signing Duffy and that he wasn't neeeded

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gotta just LOVE those thick-eared cliches about 'bringing in a Number 10'. Must do wonders of the confidence of existing squad player Number 10. Not that I'd necessarily disagree with the sentiments behind the cliche tho...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
to be fair they've got all their targets...eventually Murray, Sidwell, Norwood, Duffy (eventually) and Pritchard (hours away one presumes) would have been very nice thank you.
but hey. The current regime aren't bad at getting who they want.

Oh I agree, and getting the best deals in as well.

The point I was making with Zamora and a loanee, 12 months ago the team knew they would be short of 2 strikers right now.
I'm sure they've been scouring the globe to fill that shortfall, and yet here they are still going down to the wire.
You cut my acknowledgment of just how frustrating that must be, because we all know this is not by choice.

No club loves shutting down it's 'transfer team' early on deadline day, like the Albion does.
Rejoicing in it's now traditional empty office tweet.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Wasn't happy day for you the other day. You basically moaned about signing Duffy and that he wasn't neeeded

And I stick by that, let's see when Goldson is fit whether Duffy was an important addition for us, I've said since day one that holding onto our best players was the priority this transfer window.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gotta just LOVE those thick-eared cliches about 'bringing in a Number 10'. Must do wonders of the confidence of existing squad player Number 10. Not that I'd necessarily disagree with the sentiments behind the cliche tho...

Gotta call him something:-

'We really need a striker who is fast, athletic, with great position and team-mate awareness, able to not only score goals but create space for others'.

or

'need to bring in a number 10'.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gotta call him something:-

'We really need a striker who is fast, athletic, with great position and team-mate awareness, able to not only score goals but create space for others'.

or

'need to bring in a number 10'.

I prefer the term 'a second proper striker who knows where the goal is from open play' meself :shrug:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But that says nothing. :shrug:

Well I DO agree it seems to be beyond a lot of people's understanding.

But for the hard-of-thinking, I'd sort of explain it as a striker who's main skills aren't 'running off the ball' or 'holding the ball up' but who, y'know, are actually capable to sticking the ball in the the net from open play. Crazy concept I know. Currently we've only got one of those, and that one is only here on loan. Doubt we'll have the foresight to convert that loan into a buy and will continue to struggle on with second (and third) best up front. Oh well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here