[Albion] Alan Mullery player manager?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
The testimonial game was against Southampton.

The goalkeeper was Ivan Katalinic who actually saved the penalty but then seemed to think better of it and pushed the ball into the net as he went down.

I was at the Charlton reserve game. It was 17000 but Mullers didn't play.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The testimonial game was against Southampton.

The goalkeeper was Ivan Katalinic who actually saved the penalty but then seemed to think better of it and pushed the ball into the net as he went down.

I was at the Charlton reserve game. It was 17000 but Mullers didn't play.
Yes, that save was farcical! I'd forgotten that but now the memory has come back, I remember my dad moaning about it at the time!

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I am positive I remember AM turning out for the reserves. We were giving Northampton reserves a tonking and if memory serves he had a run out during the 2nd half!
Maybe I'm getting old? If not, didn't we win about 7-0 or similar?

I know it's not the 1st team but it was at the The Goldstone along time ago! 76/77 ish
It was Northampton and I am pretty sure it was announced he would play, hence the big crowd. He did indeed spray the ball about from the centre circle, but I have it in mind that he came on at halftime and the final score was 7-1, with most of the goals in the second half. I would guess not all of the ground was open as I watched from the West instead of my usual spot in the North.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes definitely played for reserves and then scored a pen for the first team in a friendly at the end of the season. ?Testimonial

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Sadly can't even remember the last time! You know what? Not bothered at all. Sky Sports is my mistress.

Good on ya and well some things are overrated anyway...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
It was Northampton and I am pretty sure it was announced he would play, hence the big crowd. He did indeed spray the ball about from the centre circle, but I have it in mind that he came on at halftime and the final score was 7-1, with most of the goals in the second half. I would guess not all of the ground was open as I watched from the West instead of my usual spot in the North.

I thought I watched from the north stand which was unusual as my usual place was the east

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
If I remember rightly, Mullery said that he had it in mind that he might try abit of player-manager when he first arrived but he soon decided that it wasn't needed cause he had a captain on the pitch who was fully capable of running that side, Brian Horton.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Yes, that save was farcical! I'd forgotten that but now the memory has come back, I remember my dad moaning about it at the time!

I think we were about 3 nil down and the penalty was a dodgy decision but a typical testimonial thing at the time.

It was in front of the North Stand and Mullers milked it to the full!

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I also remember one evening game. One of our players was injured in the centre circle. The St. Johns Ambulance service were making a real pigs ear of the situation.

Mullery ran across the pitch, picked up the injured player and carried him off over his shoulder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here