Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PMQ's shocker

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Ed Milliband had a good day.

He constantly asked why hedge funds didn't pay stamp duty and Cameron didn't have an answer.

Tax will play a major role in the election and rightly so IMO.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

He constantly asked why hedge funds didn't pay stamp duty and Cameron didn't have an answer.

It's also strange that despite more people than ever before being in work, thanks to the Tories, tax receipts are falling ? Where is all the money going Mr Cameron ?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
It's also strange that despite more people than ever before being in work, thanks to the Tories, tax receipts are falling ? Where is all the money going Mr Cameron ?

The rich can easily circumnavigate taxes with half decent accountants. A large chunk of the working poor are now being paid such a pittance that the tax rate barely kicks in. Major corporations just take the head of HMR&C out to lunch and get their bills written off.

There's only the middle class picking up the tab anymore.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The rich can easily circumnavigate taxes with half decent accountants. A large chunk of the working poor are now being paid such a pittance that the tax rate barely kicks in. Major corporations just take the head of HMR&C out to lunch and get their bills written off.

There's only the middle class picking up the tab anymore.

B9AOsZvIgAAu8cA.jpg:large

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As a full time carer (and I mean "full time" as in 24 hours a day) I "earn" £61per week on which I pay full tax reducing the "benefit" to a little under fifty quid a week. I'm sure "Call me Dave" would say I should be grateful as the alternative would be to put my partner in a home (at a calculated cost to the state in excess of £600pw). You will excuse me if I become a little jaundiced when I read of the tax breaks promoted by the government for the Friends of the Tory Party.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As an aside, is there really any point to PMQ's any more ? It always descends into a tedious, bawdy, mudslinging, point-scoring, blame-shifting, smart-arsed ner-ner-ne-ner-nerrr every time. Its playground bickering dressed up as politics, and frankly I think its something of an embarrassment that this tawdry weekly spectacle gets seen worldwide taking place in what is supposedly "the Mother of all Parliaments".

Hmmm, not sure this really answers the point originally made. Couldn't find the original article on Full Fact, but the fact that it's taken from HMRC's Income Tax statistics suggests that it is based on only income tax. As [MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION] suggests, the rich have half decent accountants, so will likely pay a decent chunk of capital gains tax (at 28%) rather than income tax. Also, it doesn't address his suggestion that large firms (and it's ultimately shareholders that benefit from this) might be getting an easy ride from HMRC.

This government have done their best to be (or at least appear) 'worker friendly', with an increasing personal allowance and increasing the rate of capital gains tax amongst other measures. However they are also extremely 'business friendly', which manifests itself through beneficial tax arrangements and (to some extent) a relaxation of some employment restrictions.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Ladbrokes, William Hill & 3 Others have shortened the Tories election odds again today...and that's on a good day for Edward?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
As an aside, is there really any point to PMQ's any more ? It always descends into a tedious, bawdy, mudslinging, point-scoring, blame-shifting, smart-arsed ner-ner-ne-ner-nerrr every time. Its playground bickering dressed up as politics, and frankly I think its something of an embarrassment that this tawdry weekly spectacle gets seen worldwide taking place in what is supposedly "the Mother of all Parliaments".

Please don't fall into this trap. PMQ's is one of the few opportunites to hold power to account in this country.

The current spectacle is just one example of the establishment flicking the V at us. They are making it the joke that it is intentionally, they are fully aware that it detatches normal people from politics, that's what they want, they have nothing to gain by normal people becoming involved in the politcal process.

We should be campaigning for reform of it. How about rather than advocating it's removal (which is of course what people in positions of power want) we concern ourselves more with making it what we want it to be rather than what they want it to be?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I hate the fact that corporations don't pay or pay a minimal amount of tax but Labours war on the higher earners is not the correct way as that will just make them flee the country become limited companies or whatever to reduce their tax bill.

I just don't think its right the government takes half of anyone's money. A fairer tax system will get more people paying and not avoiding

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I hate the fact that corporations don't pay or pay a minimal amount of tax but Labours war on the higher earners is not the correct way as that will just make them flee the country become limited companies or whatever to reduce their tax bill.

That's a myth made up by the Tory/right wing press to scare monger people in to not voting for a left wing government

The fact remains that Britain, even with higher taxes on the top earning 10% will still be no better or worse than most other industrialised countries. It also won't remove the fact aswell that of those top earning 10%, 90% of them have money stashed away in tax havens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here