Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

20+ goals a season striker?

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
McCormack and Murray would be dream signings for me - both proven in this league and Murray's threat in the air would be immense getting on the end of crosses from Knocky and Skalak. Also need another strong centre mid to challenge / cover Stephens & Kayal, and another centre back if Greer is released.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I do wonder how readily Tony Bloom would pay for a high-scoring League One striker again as neither CMS nor Baldock really delivered in that regard.

Assombalonga got 15 in about 30 games for Forest last season before the injury that he has only just come back from.

I suspect Bloom will want two new strikers that we have high confidence of getting a 20+ goal return from each, assuming they stay fit etc. It's hard to believe that any other side will have the creative talent that we possess - Knockaert, Skalak, Murphy and March (and, maybe LuaLua - I have a feeling he could be one that moves on this Summer).

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm sure there will be at least two strikers coming in.

The only area where we were slightly behind Burnley was Andre Gray.
Tony knows it, Hughton knows it, the whole of the championship know it.

The real challenge will be to keep hold of the match -day squad (Wilson excluded as I can't see him being offered another season loan with us).
Therefore we need to replace Wilson. Personally I think that replacement is Baldock on the bench.

Two strikers to come in - a replacement for Bobby as cover for Tomer and a second as an upgrade on Baldock.

Flydye75

May 17, 2016
Brighton
Where has this idea that a) 20+ (i even read 30+) stikers are out there to get and b) that we can afford one!

Only Andre Gray (25) McCormack (21) and Hernandez (21) ££££ broke the 20 goal barrier this year. (Boro didnt have one - rhodes 16)

Saying that we could do with at least 2 stikers contributing double figures, not just hemed (17)

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Any striker would almost certainly come from abroad again. The sort of money that would be needed to prise the players being mentioned here from English clubs would be astronomical, and they'd be unlikely to sell to a Championship rival anyway. Also, if any of those players became available, Premier League middle-ranks and newly promoteds will be so drenched in cash that even they could afford to take a gamble on a big fee, so they'd be far more likely to head to the top flight.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd imagine we'll be looking for at least 2 strikers - to replace Zamora and Wilson. Question mark over Baldock for me, too.

I had been very happy with Baldock over the season, but he hasn't been as good as I'd have hoped in the last week or two against decent teams in the games that mattered. For that reason, IMO there is a question mark hanging over him.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We've got one.

Hemed is the Championship top scorer in 2016, and it's becuase we brought in Knockaert and Skalak in January. Give them a whole season and Hemed will get 20+.

Maybe, but we need decent backup for him, and a first-choice for the Sam B position... The usual complacent NSC bollox from you I'm afraid...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm sure there will be at least two strikers coming in.

The only area where we were slightly behind Burnley was Andre Gray.
Tony knows it, Hughton knows it, the whole of the championship know it.

The real challenge will be to keep hold of the match -day squad (Wilson excluded as I can't see him being offered another season loan with us).
Therefore we need to replace Wilson. Personally I think that replacement is Baldock on the bench.

Two strikers to come in - a replacement for Bobby as cover for Tomer and a second as an upgrade on Baldock.

Snap!

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I had been very happy with Baldock over the season, but he hasn't been as good as I'd have hoped in the last week or two against decent teams in the games that mattered. For that reason, IMO there is a question mark hanging over him.

I'm a fan as well, we always seem to look a lot more threatening as a team when he's playing. Would be interested in the stats though, my impression is that he has remarkably few attempts on goal.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

He has not let himself or the team down, but the simple fact is he doesn't score enough. If we are targeting automatic promotion next season then he isn't good enough to start regularly and it's one of the factors (but not the only one) IMHO we missed out this time.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Murray and Vydra for a combined cost of a £2 million quid next season, simples.

I'm with you on this. Murray is a fitter (hopefully) version of Bobby and Vydra can do it (if he finds the spark again). I'm sure him and Skalak will be speaking if they're named in the Czech Euro squad.

We need a (proven in some way) combination to get us out of this league. The long-term planning comes when you get up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This thread is making me wonder if we would have won had Hemed started on Monday night...

He would have been much more of a physical presence in their box which may have left others with more time or allowed him to score himself. So many what ifs :down:

The Weds goal that should never have been killed the tie IMO though and even with Hemed on the pitch, after that I think we were done for.

Equalise against Boro and get cheated a few mins later, take the lead against Weds and get cheated minutes later. It was not meant to be....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wasn't goal scoring that cost us promotion, it was conceding. We were joint top goalscorers. We failed to get promotion due to a goal scored by Stuani on the 19th December!!!! (although no doubt there are other odd goals here or there that cost points but that was the goal which was the difference between us and Boro)

That said, everyone would want a couple of players who can get 20 goals a season.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
Vydra in for Wilson
Murray in for BZ
Judge or McCormmack if we are serious next season, for Baldock
Hemed Stays

Top 2 easy if we keep the bossman and at the very least keep Kayal, Stocko, Knocky, Stephens, Bruno, Goldson, Dunk and Liam

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here