Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Don't get me wrong, I love Bruno, but I don't feel hugely comfortable with the idea of him being our main right back.

Deserves as much a chance as anyone in that squad possibly more so.

Everyone worries about his pace too much. Lets face it he has not lost any since he came here. If he was 32 nobody would worry about him at all.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I thought the same.. Perhaps one of them, but we can't afford to have both taking up squad places.

Mine would be:

Goalkeepers

1. Ryan
2. Maenpaa
3. New signing

Defenders

4. Bruno
5. New Signing RB
6. Bong
7. Rosenior
8. New signing LB
9. New Signing CB (Goldson on loan)
10. Hunemeier
11. Duffy
12. Dunk

Midfield

13. Groß
14. Stephens
15. Kayal
16. Sidwell
17. New signing CM (Norwood Loan)
18. Knockaert
19. March
20. Murphy
21. New Signing Winger (Skalak Loan)

Strikers

22. Murray
23. Hemed
24. Baldock
25. New Signing
26. New Signing

That's sadly 26, so one position / player would have to go....

Can we survive with Bruno / Rosenior at RB?
Do we need to let both of Murphy / Skalak go out on loan to bring in another quality winger?
Do we need another Central Midfield player, or can we get by with Gross, Stephens, Kayal, Sidwell?
Do we need 2 extra strikers?
Do we need 3 senior goalkeepers, or could we use Walton to free up a senior place?

It shows the importance of getting younger players who are 'free' as far as the 25 man squad is concerned, like Abraham.
I think the key is that one of the 9 defenders is U21 ( ie Gomez or Tomori ). Or the winger is Burke who also U21.

Walton is too old by 8 weeks to count as U21 though.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If our signings dont go as expected we may have no option but to include them bioth.

No option to include them !.....christ...... you make it sound like they are shithouse !

i am perfectly happy with these 2 as our right back options, throw in someone like Gomez as cover for both full back positions and we are sorted.

Literally 2 of the very few players we have with any top flight experience.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No option to include them !.....christ...... you make it sound like they are shithouse !

i am perfectly happy with these 2 as our right back options, throw in someone like Gomez as cover for both full back positions and we are sorted.

Literally 2 of the very few players we have with any top flight experience.

I was talking about Skalak and Murphy as the poster said wouldnt be included in our 25 man squad. I am happy with Bruno and Liam as the choice of right back and at a push Bong as left back but would prefer him as cover.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I thought the same.. Perhaps one of them, but we can't afford to have both taking up squad places.

Mine would be:

Goalkeepers

1. Ryan
2. Maenpaa
3. New signing

Defenders

4. Bruno
5. New Signing RB
6. Bong
7. Rosenior
8. New signing LB
9. New Signing CB (Goldson on loan)
10. Hunemeier
11. Duffy
12. Dunk

Midfield

13. Groß
14. Stephens
15. Kayal
16. Sidwell
17. New signing CM (Norwood Loan)
18. Knockaert
19. March
20. Murphy
21. New Signing Winger (Skalak Loan)

Strikers

22. Murray
23. Hemed
24. Baldock
25. New Signing
26. New Signing

That's sadly 26, so one position / player would have to go....

Can we survive with Bruno / Rosenior at RB?
Do we need to let both of Murphy / Skalak go out on loan to bring in another quality winger?
Do we need another Central Midfield player, or can we get by with Gross, Stephens, Kayal, Sidwell?
Do we need 2 extra strikers?
Do we need 3 senior goalkeepers, or could we use Walton to free up a senior place?

It shows the importance of getting younger players who are 'free' as far as the 25 man squad is concerned, like Abraham.

I'm pretty much with you on that squad, but as you note the 26 you indicate can easily be dealt with by having one English u-21 player such as Abraham (I'm not holding out on him) or (more likely) Gomez.
As to your questions:
-- Gomez would solve your RB question (and several others), although I'm a tad more optimistic than you are about Bruno and Liam, and think they've both earned the right to prove themselves; might have to return to it in January, however
-- I'd say no, loan out or preferably sell Skalak; Murphy will do as cover; as you indicate, we do need a new winger, and I think it's key that he's right-footed given that our best two wingers (Knockaert and March) are left-footed. Grosicky (sp)?
-- we most certainly do need another CM possibly two, although Aogo can play there if we get him. Note that CH has said we'll play 4-4-1-1 as a standard formation. Gross is that ACM, so can't be considered in the CM 'engine room'. Kayal is injury-prone, and I doubt Sidwell will play much. Possibles: Mooy, Kirchoff.
-- yes we do need 2 extra strikers, and with pace. This is where we'll need to spend the money. There's a rumour going around that we might offload Hemed, which I think would be good for all parties, despite being fond of him and grateful for what he's done for us. Murray and Hemed are just too similar (and people also think we should add Ulloa!). We will be sitting deep in great numbers next season (it won't be pretty) and playing on the counter-attack where rapidity is the key. We need to get those players in to achieve that. They will cost. Given that, there's little point identifying players (beyond the obvious Abraham); I suspect the club have scouted far and wide and few of us will be familiar with the players we land.
-- we do need 3 senior goalkeepers, and the club has said as much.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I was talking about Skalak and Murphy as the poster said wouldnt be included in our 25 man squad. I am happy with Bruno and Liam as the choice of right back and at a push Bong as left back but would prefer him as cover.

Murphy will definately make the squad, and rightly so. He will be very handy.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Then why did you quote a post saying "If we have Bruno and Rosenior as our only RB options until January I'd suggest we're aiming to win the Championship the next season. if you were talking about Skalak and Murphy?

:shrug:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm pretty much with you on that squad, but as you note the 26 you indicate can easily be dealt with by having one English u-21 player such as Abraham (I'm not holding out on him) or (more likely) Gomez.
As to your questions:
-- Gomez would solve your RB question (and several others), although I'm a tad more optimistic than you are about Bruno and Liam, and think they've both earned the right to prove themselves; might have to return to it in January, however
-- I'd say no, loan out or preferably sell Skalak; Murphy will do as cover; as you indicate, we do need a new winger, and I think it's key that he's right-footed given that our best two wingers (Knockaert and March) are left-footed. Grosicky (sp)?
-- we most certainly do need another CM possibly two, although Aogo can play there if we get him. Note that CH has said we'll play 4-4-1-1 as a standard formation. Gross is that ACM, so can't be considered in the CM 'engine room'. Kayal is injury-prone, and I doubt Sidwell will play much. Possibles: Mooy, Kirchoff.
-- yes we do need 2 extra strikers, and with pace. This is where we'll need to spend the money. There's a rumour going around that we might offload Hemed, which I think would be good for all parties, despite being fond of him and grateful for what he's done for us. Murray and Hemed are just too similar (and people also think we should add Ulloa!). We will be sitting deep in great numbers next season (it won't be pretty) and playing on the counter-attack where rapidity is the key. We need to get those players in to achieve that. They will cost. Given that, there's little point identifying players (beyond the obvious Abraham); I suspect the club have scouted far and wide and few of us will be familiar with the players we land.
-- we do need 3 senior goalkeepers, and the club has said as much.

Thanks for taking the time to reply in detail.

I agree with you. The availability of U21 players who are worthy of a squad place will be very important to getting as strong a squad as possible.

I hadn't thought about getting rid of Hemed, but I do agree that he's too similar to Murray, and neither has enough pace.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I'd be amazed if we sign two strikers. We already have 3 and will be much much more likely to be playing one up front this year. One big striker signing will be all we do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As usual I still don't get the desperate need to bin off contracted players while so many places still need to be filled.
The club hasn't hidden behind the fact that Goldson will be loaned and it being open to offers for Norwood, but not a word about anyone further forward.

Why do I feel like all this is just the precursor to Albion fans and their braindead 'must boo someone' mentality?

Sure if player x (Skalak) can be improved upon, then such is life
But that deal has to be so far down the 'to do list' I can't see it happening, esp as he's the only winger at the club prepared to put in a shift defensively.

If he's named in the 25 man squad and doesn't step up, I'm pretty sure January won't come round soon enough for him.

In the meantime we all know the club is concentrating on the actual gaps as July and pre season loom large.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
As usual I still don't get the desperate need to bin off contracted players while so many places still need to be filled.
The club hasn't hidden behind the fact that Goldson will be loaned and it being open to offers for Norwood, but not a word about anyone further forward.

Why do I feel like all this is just the precursor to Albion fans and their braindead 'must boo someone' mentality?

Sure if player x (Skalak) can be improved upon, then such is life
But that deal has to be so far down the 'to do list' I can't see it happening, esp as he's the only winger at the club prepared to put in a shift defensively.

If he's named in the 25 man squad and doesn't step up, I'm pretty sure January won't come round soon enough for him.

In the meantime we all know the club is concentrating on the actual gaps as July and pre season loom large.
Agreed.

After the obvious bin-ies ( Walton, Goldson, Norwood, Towell, Hunt, Ince, LuaLua, Elvis ), then we only have 18 players.

7 more INs required before we even reach 25, so any further cull can wait for a while...

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Aware he's played there - took up that position a few times for us as well. Doesn't mean I'd want to be going into our first season in the Prem with him as our 2nd option on the right wing.

He's almost 33 and pace has never been his biggest attribute.

Rosenior might be 33 but whenever I've seen him play, pace has never been a problem, played on the right of midfield to make us a bit more solid and has always done well, and he bombs forward from full back. Very versatile player and a very good one even at 33.

Bruno maybe 36 and doesn't have the pace but considering he's been in the Championship team of the year for the last 2 years, is technically one of our better players and links up brilliantly with Knockhaert, he also deserve a chance to prove himself despite his age. He's been caught out of position a couple of times but he's more than made up for those errors with his attacking contribution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Don't understand the love for Murphy over Skalak, personally. Whilst neither is PL quality, Skalak is better defensively and delivers a better ball, Murphy is more direct, but there really isn't a lot between them, and if there was only one space I'd have Skalak.

All opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Don't understand the love for Murphy over Skalak, personally. Whilst neither is PL quality, Skalak is better defensively and delivers a better ball, Murphy is more direct, but there really isn't a lot between them, and if there was only one space I'd have Skalak.

All opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As per the Reading game last season, Murphy is absolutely fantastic on the counter attack, and we're going to need that this year.

I want to like Skalak, I really do, but he just can't keep up with the English game. His dead balls are perfect at times, but he can't battle or even beat a defender. Sadly it's Murphy>Skalak for me.

As you said, it's all opinions...but that's my 2 cents anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here