Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why so few tickets sold V Charlton?

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I'm in East Upper and I reckon there's hardly anyone in there from the Withdean years because it was opened a year later than the rest of the ground, and most Withdean regulars had already been accommodated. But if I go to Dick's before or after matches I always bump into familiar faces.

That's because most of us are in the WSU!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To be honest mate I have only missed three. It is a shame so many of us got seats all over the place. Half time at withdean used to be a general meet up eat chips etc in the group by the entrance to the south stand...and of course there was the group of us who would meet on the London train have beers in hove and make our way over ...now a days, I get there at 5 to three, watch the footy and leave on the whistle...I actually miss tony Langridge more than I like to admit I think.

Your post(s) make me feel a little bit sad, although from reading your posts over the last year or two, I had taken the impression that you were largely happy with your current match day routine.

My match days are not that different to [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]'s and are more enjoyable than they've ever been.

After a long couple of weeks at work, I couldn't wait to get the train over to Brighton on Saturday morning. So early in fact that I was sitting in The Cyclist for my first pint of the day as I arrived in town before the BoT opened at 12. Then it was up to the BoT which was absolutely heaving - as busy as I've ever seen it, reflecting I think the general Albion buzz right now. A big group of friends and friends of friends before back to the station and the train to Falmer. Another pint (maybe two) on the concourse pre-game before the fantastic match, with a swift beer/chat at half-time.

Post-match down to the WSL (North end) to catch up with a load of others before hopping on the train back to Brighton and The Cyclist which seems to have become a regular post-match haunt for many. More good times before jumping on a train to get back home eventually. A really, really good day.

Come and join us any time [MENTION=20]granny weatherwax[/MENTION], for any part of it - we'll get that big smile back on your face!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But there is no reason why they can;t get the travel sponsored by someone if they ever find a company interested.

What's in it for the sponsor though?

Who wants to pay £2 million for the right to give free travel to a bunch of football fans?

If you do know someone for heaven's sake put them in contact with the club.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
They can't. It was a condition of the planning permission.

When Paul Barber said that the Albion were never going to be the cheapest, this transport subsidy was doubtless in his mind. Fans using any of it must presumably benefit to the tune of at least about £4.00 a head? Bus from Mithras or train from Brighton? Return from HH or Shoreham? By the way, are there other expenses associated with Falmer that other clubs typically do not have? What about the use of university car parks? It does put the pricing into context.

Jan 30, 2008
Sorry to mention it as I know many on here love defending the OTT match day ticket prices, especially those who have a season ticket and never pay them, but- THE PRICES ARE TOO HIGH AND THEY PUT LOADS OF PEOPLE OFF!

Brighton alone is full of people who follow football and would be likely to turn up to the odd game for around £20. Most people, particularly those who aren't (yet) avid Albion fans don't want to pay £32 / £42 per game. It's factual and evidenced by these attendances.

I know many season ticket holders think the match day tickets are great value so no need to remind me. They're overpriced. The club loses a lot of revenue and the possibility of attracting new fans on a match by match basis.
been saying this for ages???
regards
DR

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Sorry to mention it as I know many on here love defending the OTT match day ticket prices, especially those who have a season ticket and never pay them, but- THE PRICES ARE TOO HIGH AND THEY PUT LOADS OF PEOPLE OFF!

Brighton alone is full of people who follow football and would be likely to turn up to the odd game for around £20. Most people, particularly those who aren't (yet) avid Albion fans don't want to pay £32 / £42 per game. It's factual and evidenced by these attendances.

I know many season ticket holders think the match day tickets are great value so no need to remind me. They're overpriced. The club loses a lot of revenue and the possibility of attracting new fans on a match by match basis.

My Mum and Dad decided they wanted to go to a game last year, so they booked two tickets for the Millwall game in the east upper, and even booked a parking space. It cost them £100 quid...AND it was the Millwall game. They haven't been since.

Jan 30, 2008
My Mum and Dad decided they wanted to go to a game last year, so they booked two tickets for the Millwall game in the east upper, and even booked a parking space. It cost them £100 quid...AND it was the Millwall game. They haven't been since.
premiership ready pricing , i would imagine its a concern for people that are borderline with affordability to home games at the moment:down:

regards
DR

Let's Have A Winner!

Apr 23, 2006
Burgess Hill
My sister in law was looking at getting the seat next to my wife and I on Saturday, not exactly a prime seat, WSL between blocks B/C. £42, no thanks! Should be all Cat C until such time as we are selling out regularly.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
My sister in law was looking at getting the seat next to my wife and I on Saturday, not exactly a prime seat, WSL between blocks B/C. £42, no thanks! Should be all Cat C until such time as we are selling out regularly.

No idea how it is a cat A game , as a Brighton fan I pay to watch Brighton play , I don't really see why the same seat should cost X more just because the opposition is apparently considered better than another team in this division ... in the Premier League fair enough but not in championship.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
What's in it for the sponsor though?

Who wants to pay £2 million for the right to give free travel to a bunch of football fans?

If you do know someone for heaven's sake put them in contact with the club.

Its all about dressing it up in the right way, isn't it? Why wouldn't a company want to sponsor a clubs travel plans that was environmentally friendly. Isn't it good PR especially if the company was someone like Gatwick airport who are involved with travel anyway.

Why the whole amount, why not split it into two? Travel too the match, and travel from the match. Or three, a third by the fans, a third by the club and a third by sponsor. I think it would be interesting to see just how much the club has tried to do this, especially since when Barber came to the club he was said to be the king of sponsorship deals.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Its all about dressing it up in the right way, isn't it? Why wouldn't a company want to sponsor a clubs travel plans that was environmentally friendly. Isn't it good PR especially if the company was someone like Gatwick airport who are involved with travel anyway.

Why the whole amount, why not split it into two? Travel too the match, and travel from the match. Or three, a third by the fans, a third by the club and a third by sponsor. I think it would be interesting to see just how much the club has tried to do this, especially since when Barber came to the club he was said to be the king of sponsorship deals.

The transport levy paid by fans doesn't cover the whole transport cost though.

Some of it is still being subsidised by Tony Bloom.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
The transport levy paid by fans doesn't cover the whole transport cost though.

Some of it is still being subsidised by Tony Bloom.

I agree, but having at least a third of the cost paid for by sponsorship helps the clubs finances and will go towards FFP. If we had done that our losses would be at-least nearly £700,000 less. That isn't to be scoffed at. I don't have a clue if Barber has tried it though so I could be doing him a huge miss-justice.

bigE

Dec 8, 2009
so don't forget transport costs for me It would be another £9

Category A means £42,00 for ESU, which is a lot, (other areas are cheaper, I realise) and particularly as it is sandwiched between two better games, on paper at least. There is still time, of course, and one hopes that sales will pick up. I think Charlton have sold about 1000, and can't see that improving much. Yes, it is disappointing, and also perhaps a measure of our increased level of expectation this year, when a gate as "low" as say, 23,000, seems disappointing. As the run-in excitement intensifies, even the matches that would attract less fans will garner more supporters, I am sure.
And don't forget transport costs for me It would be £9
:annoyed:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Anyone know WHY its Cat A? Its Charlton not Palace! it won require extra policing or anything like that. Whilst I have no time for Charlton (thats on the other thread) they are not a rowdy bunch.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Your post(s) make me feel a little bit sad, although from reading your posts over the last year or two, I had taken the impression that you were largely happy with your current match day routine.

My match days are not that different to [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]'s and are more enjoyable than they've ever been.

After a long couple of weeks at work, I couldn't wait to get the train over to Brighton on Saturday morning. So early in fact that I was sitting in The Cyclist for my first pint of the day as I arrived in town before the BoT opened at 12. Then it was up to the BoT which was absolutely heaving - as busy as I've ever seen it, reflecting I think the general Albion buzz right now. A big group of friends and friends of friends before back to the station and the train to Falmer. Another pint (maybe two) on the concourse pre-game before the fantastic match, with a swift beer/chat at half-time.

Post-match down to the WSL (North end) to catch up with a load of others before hopping on the train back to Brighton and The Cyclist which seems to have become a regular post-match haunt for many. More good times before jumping on a train to get back home eventually. A really, really good day.

Come and join us any time [MENTION=20]granny weatherwax[/MENTION], for any part of it - we'll get that big smile back on your face!

Same again on Saturday [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here