Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What a mess. Fascinating. But only in the same way it's fascinating watching someone's mad old nan walking down the middle lane of the M1 in rush hour and wondering when the traffic jam will turn back in to a 70 mph free for all, and, when it does, if you'll be the one to hit her, costing you your car, your reputation and your livelyhood because you had a couple of whiskys the night before. Or something.

I have to agree with HWT though. The only person who looks like he wants to take this shit show on is Corbyn - and he's the least qualified of the lot.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
They’ve had 2.5 years to sort it out and couldn’t. Proved too difficult, mainly because they faced real issues rather than make believe promises made in the referendum. So if the Brexit government can’t sort it then we need to reassess

Yeah, you come from the Tony Blair school of spin don't you? The 'Brexit' Government is run by a remainer that understands democracy, something you certainly find hard to accept. I'm sure Corbyn would have made a fantastic job of getting it right.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They’ve had 2.5 years to sort it out and couldn’t. Proved too difficult, mainly because they faced real issues rather than make believe promises made in the referendum. So if the Brexit government can’t sort it then we need to reassess

This.

I find it quite hard to understand how, in the face of these reasonable facts, there are those who are still squealing 'brexit means brexit; a referendum cannot be overturned' etc etc. It is ****ing pathetic.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
55% of workers mostly affected voted remain. Leave won due to pensioners and their cushy locked pensions. The will of some people for sure.

Oh yeah silly us. 17 million pensioners voted out. Good grief, some of these comments are straight from the fairy at the bottom of the garden.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Johnson is now shitting himself about a WTO Brexit as he’s the face of the leave campaign.

Desperately telling us we still have time to do a deal.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Well, unless there is a massive tory rebellion she will win the confidence vote.....

However strategically it may be better for the tories to lose the confidence vote and have a general election, which the tories will win (albeit with a hung parliament or small majority) and then negociate Brexit so, hang on, that won't work....

So the tory MPs will ensure she wins a confidence vote. I expect the 'no surrender' DUP will back her too.

The Europeans will allow us to put Brexit on hold, reluctantly, but if we carry on in this shambolic way I can imagine them setting a date whereupon a hard brexit is imposed (we started the fire after all).

My feeling is that if May were to say 'OK, no Brexit' everyone (who matters) will breathe a sigh of relief. But she won't.

So who is the alternative to lead Brexit? Nobody in the tory party for sure. Boris - frit. Other etonian weasels - who cares? It is a suicide mission. Only a fool wants that. Only Corbyn (with a successful GE) wants that. Corbyn is the biggest fool here, sadly.

Could be the perfect time for British politics to be forced to start afresh. Clearly none our present lot are fit to be in power so let's have a clearout. Get rid of the ridiculous First Past The Post nonsense which only leads to the yah boo sucks bollox that takes up so much Parliamentary time and has ultimately got us to where we are tonight. None of them are fit for purpose.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Could be the perfect time for British politics to be forced to start afresh. Clearly none our present lot are fit to be in power so let's have a clearout. Get rid of the ridiculous First Past The Post nonsense which only leads to the yah boo sucks bollox that takes up so much Parliamentary time and has ultimately got us to where we are tonight. None of them are fit for purpose.

Nice thought never happen. We'd just replace them with more jobbing politicians that have never done a days work in their lives but think they can run a country and its purse strings.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But what authority or credibility can May have, if an election is called who leads the Tory party into it.

For an election to be called she would need to lose the confidence vote that Corbyn called tonight (he had no option - no call would mean he was admitting he could not win a GE). She won't lose that so she won't need to lead her party into a GE.

But...that leaves us with Brexit....at that point she would need to decide to either take us into an no deal brexit or call brexit off (temporarily in the first instance if the EU allows this - and they may not- or permanently).

May may resign rather than make this decision but I doubt it because, unlike Cameron, she has a sense of responsibility and honour. And I say that as a labour voter (mostly) and remainer (except when pissed).

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yep, so strange that one of the most quoted phrases is that people who voted to leave didn't know what they were voting for.

I suppose the EU and world history is completely predictable. :ffsparr:

Any change to the treaties or new treaty would have triggered a referendum, so with regard to our relationship with the EU we knew what we were voting for, and if a proposed change came along we would have voted on that.
What you did not, and could not know is what our relationship with the EU would be on exit day.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

You make a very valid point about FPTP which encourages the two big parties and discourages smaller ones, so you end up with 2 big parties that are really an amalgam of lots of smaller groups. These big parties then have to do really stupid things to try and maintain Unity and ensure they keep power.

But on the bright side, the 'no deal' Brexiteers have been entertaining tonight

Shoot-Self-In-Foot.jpg

Bye bye Brexit :bigwave:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Stranger things have happened HWT

Very true. Frankly, for 3 points at the home of the unreasonably self-regarding (till Fergy, who made them justifiably self-regarding) who CHEATED us out of a cup final, I'd take the shame of a pro hard Brexit march. I am that shallow. Fact.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
The will of SOME of the people. Stop talking as though a massive majority voted in favour of this self inflicted cluster****. Yes, 17 million, blah blah blah. A 4% majority is not the will of the people no matter how many times you say it. Remember, your great Brexiteer Farage has said that if remain had won by the same slender margin he would have been looking for a second referendum. Maybe he would have included the age group that will be most affected ?

4%, 1% or one persons vote it does not matter.

A win is a win.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That’ll only work if you wear your EU suit and carry the blue and yellow flag

Yeah, I made no promises about attire. Unlike the pro Brexit narrative, I clearly do have a face-saving backstop :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here