Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Official 'excuse for poor atmosphere today', thread.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Watching Fulham/Wolves on TV now, there are spells when there is literally no noise.......can hear individuals shouting. Any chants seem to be about a dozen people.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Watching Fulham/Wolves on TV now, there are spells when there is literally no noise.......can hear individuals shouting. Any chants seem to be about a dozen people.

As much as I like Craven Cottage, Fulham fans really are pretty shyte

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If we don't let Arsenal pile on loads of pressure and actually give it a go, the atmosphere will be good but it will be quiet/tense if we just sit back with everyone behind the ball. Our fans at home are definatly reactive rather than proactive.

Chicken or egg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My excuse is football sold it’s soul a long time ago and it’s on the box where I can sit in comfort without the 6hr round trip and aggravation of no public transport, no alcohol, a crap atmosphere, a likely rubbish performance and frankly being taken for a mug by the football authorities. It just ain’t what it used to be sadly...bahhhh nonebug!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's like a morgue, at the moment.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
My excuse is football sold it’s soul a long time ago and it’s on the box where I can sit in comfort without the 6hr round trip and aggravation of no public transport, no alcohol, a crap atmosphere, a likely rubbish performance and frankly being taken for a mug by the football authorities. It just ain’t what it used to be sadly...bahhhh nonebug!
yeah , well , apart from that ...??

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Glad you lot rose to my challenge. :lol:

Was that the one where we were all chanting, "We took the East Bank, Aldershot"?
The use of the word "took" in that particular chant was used very loosely as I recall we just sauntered in and found ourselves in that particular stand by pure chance with no evidence of any home fans having originally been there to actually usurp. On reflection I think the chant was tinged with a certain irony.
That's correct. When the turnstiles opened there only seemed to be Albion fans outside. We went in past the rose bushes and walked along the covered terracing on the left and into the completely empty East Bank. There was no segregation at all so no fence down the middle like at the FA Cup tie. Daubed on the wall at the top of the corner were the words 'Enter the East Bank at your own risk'! The West End of the ground is the only end I can think of at a Football League ground where there was no terracing or seating.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
That's correct. When the turnstiles opened there only seemed to be Albion fans outside. We went in past the rose bushes and walked along the covered terracing on the left and into the completely empty East Bank. There was no segregation at all so no fence down the middle like at the FA Cup tie. Daubed on the wall at the top of the corner were the words 'Enter the East Bank at your own risk'! The West End of the ground is the only end I can think of at a Football League ground where there was no terracing or seating.

I've been labouring under the illusion for the past 40 odd years that we "took" the East Bank but according to this diagram it's an area specially designated for away fans. The blue area of the East Bank is exactly where we were standing. I had no idea. Unless it got "taken" so many times that they decided to designate part of it to away fans as a means of saving face.

recreation-ground-seating-map.jpg

I've been labouring under the illusion for the past 40 odd years that we "took" the East Bank but according to this diagram it's an area specially designated for away fans. The blue area of the East Bank is exactly where we were standing. I had no idea. Unless it got "taken" so many times that they decided to designate part of it to away fans as a means of saving face.

View attachment 103285
That diagram shows the situation when we played Aldershot Town in the FA Cup (I went down to it but can't remember the score; I think we won by 6 goals). Those matches against Aldershot FC were in the pre-segregation era, but there were no Aldershot fans in the stand so I don't know why we would have been to one side.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

View attachment 103285

The East Bank on the first three occasions I went there , was completely full of Albion fans , no Aldershot fans to be seen , only in the last meeting was there a fence dividing home and away fans , and that was the FA Cup match that we won 6 - 2

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here