Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Denamrk v Maty Ryan

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
VAR is crap. Has taken the edge out of that electric moment the ball hits the back of the net.

"When the ball hits the net
Like a f*cking rocket
That's VAR-a!"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Law 12
Direct free kick

HANDLING THE BALL

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm.

The following must be considered:
the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence
touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.) is an offence
hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) is an offence
They don't seem to have been using the rules like this for some time. If the rule was always correctly followed, players like Bruno wouldn't defend in the box with their arms behind their back.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If the Aussies had had any sort of striker worth the name, they could have won that.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
Doesn't look good for the Aussies, France win today then rest the big boys v Denmark.

Am not so sure. France will still need a result to finish top: also their 2nd XI isn't bad, so will still be favourites to beat Denmark. That means Australia probably just have to beat Peru and they will be through.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If the Aussies had had any sort of striker worth the name, they could have won that.
Should have bought Cahill on to get on the end of something. Juric looked Same same too me.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Doesn't look good for the Aussies, France win today then rest the big boys v Denmark.
Am not so sure. France will still need a result to finish top: also their 2nd XI isn't bad, so will still be favourites to beat Denmark. That means Australia probably just have to beat Peru and they will be through.
It may depend a little on how Argentina do. If they look like winning their group, I can imagine France wanting to win this group and avoid Argentina in the next round.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, if he'd kept his hands together we'd've found out if it was savable or not. Unfortunately he didn't.

The ball didn't go through his hands though. It was two yards behind him, by the time his hands reached where it had passed.

Absolutely not stoppable.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
They don't seem to have been using the rules like this for some time. If the rule was always correctly followed, players like Bruno wouldn't defend in the box with their arms behind their back.

Seem to remember Howard Webb saying a few years back that by making yourself bigger, and putting your arms in an unnatural position, referees can and will interpret that as a deliberate motion to handle the ball. Essentially, it is deliberate if you are gaining a conscious advantage of having the ball hit your hand.

Saying that, I think this example still looks harsh. I understand why it was given as a penalty, VAR gave conclusive evidence of the arm in an unnatural position, it didn't give conclusive evidence that it was a deliberate way of gaining advantage though, so not sure how it became a yellow card offence.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
I think when they do that they are trying to make sure that if the ball does hit their arm, it can't be seen as deliberate.

The information I quoted was from the 2018/19 International Football Association Board, Laws of the Game. They are apparently the "guardian of the laws of the game" so they are probably right and the VAR is wrong!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
VAR is crap. Has taken the edge out of that electric moment the ball hits the back of the net.

Indeed takes away the euphoria when your team scores a goal, VAR has been terrible so far and the tournament is only a week old

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Seem to remember Howard Webb saying a few years back that by making yourself bigger, and putting your arms in an unnatural position, referees can and will interpret that as a deliberate motion to handle the ball. Essentially, it is deliberate if you are gaining a conscious advantage of having the ball hit your hand.
That's how I thought it was being interpreted - having your arms in a position that could end up getting in the way. But Bruno et al clearly go to some lengths to make sure their arms don't get in the way.

Saying that, I think this example still looks harsh. I understand why it was given as a penalty, VAR gave conclusive evidence of the arm in an unnatural position
Well I think most here think it was the wrong decision. Not sure myself, I guess since I'm used to our players trying to keep their arms out of the way.

Of course I know you put your arms up to get height in your jump, but don't (or at least can't) they then come down a bit as you reach the top of your jump?

Anyway, if the decision was wrong, that's something ref's need to learn. It's not VAR that's made ref's make the wrong decisions. I really like the way VAR is being used. Sure there are debatable decisions, but generally they're not the howlers we've seen in the past.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed takes away the euphoria when your team scores a goal, VAR has been terrible so far and the tournament is only a week old
I completely disagree. Even watching Brighton at home, I'll often glance at the linesman before getting carried away with a celebration. And in this WC it seems most people are celebrating goals the moment they go in, and how many have actually been disallowed following VAR?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I agree with Trig on this. Think VAR has worked pretty well so far and has prevented a few howlers. Fact is it's all still down to a referees decision and people are never all going to agree on all of those.

Oh and I was totally anti VAR before the start of the tournament and though it would ruin it. It hasn't.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I completely disagree. Even watching Brighton at home, I'll often glance at the linesman before getting carried away with a celebration. And in this WC it seems most people are celebrating goals the moment they go in, and how many have actually been disallowed following VAR?

The only one I can think of that effected celebrations was Iran last night.

They celebrated wildly and it was then disallowed by the linesman. It was checked and the linesman was proved to be correct. I'm yet to see a team celebrate a goal, for everything to stop to check VAR and it then be given, it just hasn't worked like that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree with Trig on this. Think VAR has worked pretty well so far and has prevented a few howlers. Fact is it's all still down to a referees decision and people are never all going to agree on all of those.
Maybe I'm being too optimistic (this is down to FIFA after all), but I'm just hopeful that everyone (players and referees) learn from this, and things improve.

We're not even half way through the group stage, and there have already been a record amount of penalties given. So either referees need to adjust, and realise that not everything that they watch in slow-mo is a penalty, or players need to realise you can't get away with what you used to be able to do (although rugby tackles are clearly fine). I'm sure it will improve.

What I am pleased with is that it's not suddenly made the game stop every few minutes for something to be checked. There's no new time wasting. The decisions that are being debated seem to me to be, er, debatable, rather than clear-cut howlers.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The only one I can think of that effected celebrations was Iran last night.

They celebrated wildly and it was then disallowed by the linesman.
So if it wasn't for VAR, it would have been (correctly) disallowed by the linesman anyway?

I'm yet to see a team celebrate a goal, for everything to stop to check VAR and it then be given, it just hasn't worked like that.
Indeed. Generally teams know when their goal is ok, and the opposing team aren't going mad about a foul that was missed.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
VAR is the new Brexit (needed in every thread)

Anyway, anyone else finding it weird supporting a team to shoot loads but not score? All I want when watching Australia is a 1-0 win so Maty gets to run the length of the pitch to leap into the air like a salmon and having his little moment where he appears as the tallest player on the pitch in front of the world, whilst the other team has tons of shots on target for Maty to be the MoM and keep a clean sheet. It's really weird cheering someone to have loads of shots and not score. Who are you supporting today. Just the keeper

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here