Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Russian welcome mat laid out for our fans....

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Usual pre tournament hot air. Went to South Africa when we were all going to be car jacked, murdered etc...

Went to Ukraine euros when we were all coming home in coffins and Russians / Poles etc were going to kick our heads in.

These things are so heavily policies I can’t see a repeat of Marseille.

I’m going and not worried!

Completely agree. All being blown up by the media saying how dangerous it will be. Don’t get me wrong, if anyone acts like a prat they will be twatted but the stories of trained Russian militia are garbage. I’ll be going and not expecting any bad behaviour. At the first sight of it I will be running for the hills :lolol:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Not sure why they target us as our reputation died about 20 years ago and other countries would be a better option.I suspect Poland will be a far better option.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Just read this. Looks like anyone with an English accent is fair play for Putins state sponsored militia, sorry 'fans'.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has advised all England fans travelling to Russia to prepare for hostility as a result of the increased tensions between the two countries.

The FCO said: "Due to heightened political tensions between the UK and Russia, you should be aware of the possibility of anti-British sentiment or harassment at this time.

"If you're currently in Russia or due to travel in the coming weeks, you're advised to remain vigilant, avoid any protests or demonstrations and avoid commenting publicly on political developments."

You thought France was bad. I can see this going very, very pear shaped.

That's completely standard FCO advice that you'd get for all sorts of countries, has probably been like that for the last few years, and makes absolutely no mention of the World Cup whatsoever.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
People were saying the same about South Africa before that tournament. I fully expect there to be the usual few pissed up idiots throwing some plastic furniture about but the world is watching and cannot see the Russians letting it descend into the Wild West

:vuvu::vuvu:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think all England fans with tickets having free passage in all the state run brothels was a nice touch.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
I was in Russia last month and as a shop keeper said - "it will be stupid drunk Russians, fighting stupid drunk English". Putin will make sure that the Russian firms are away on holiday elsewhere as he is more than aware that the world is just itching to light the touch paper if anything happens.

I found Russians to be very kind and happy and the ones i spoke to were not remotely interested in politics. The only stony faced ones i encountered were the Aeroflot flight attendants and the usual custom ones

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I’ve gone to the last few tournaments with my son but we decided long ago that we would give this a swerve.

Went to Moscow for a Russia v England game when he was 9 and it was pretty scary then. Hotel got firebombed (we were tucked up in bed on the 9th floor) and there was a constant undercurrent of ill feeling from the military who outnumbered 3,000 fans comfortably.

The one thing I will say is that Russia will throw everything at it. The army and police will be all over this and they won’t take any shit. The bigger the hat they wear the more trouble you will be in.

Whilst in most countries I would be fairly confident of avoiding any of the trouble if you don’t go looking for it in Russia there is a very good chance of innocents being caught up in it badly. The Russians will be targeting the English and I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a death as a result.

It just isn’t worth the risk.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Personally think that Putin will make absolutely sure that his nutters are kept away as the eyes of the world are on the WC and he wants to present a good show.

Exactly this - He would of already told those with football gang connections to screw their necks in.

He’ll want the worldwide media to show English yobs causing trouble and Russian police being slightly more tolerable than usual.

Similar to South Africa where the shanty towns were heavily policed.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’ve gone to the last few tournaments with my son but we decided long ago that we would give this a swerve.

Went to Moscow for a Russia v England game when he was 9 and it was pretty scary then. Hotel got firebombed (we were tucked up in bed on the 9th floor) and there was a constant undercurrent of ill feeling from the military who outnumbered 3,000 fans comfortably.

The one thing I will say is that Russia will throw everything at it. The army and police will be all over this and they won’t take any shit. The bigger the hat they wear the more trouble you will be in.

Whilst in most countries I would be fairly confident of avoiding any of the trouble if you don’t go looking for it in Russia there is a very good chance of innocents being caught up in it badly. The Russians will be targeting the English and I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a death as a result.

It just isn’t worth the risk.

Precisely this. Any English fan going is foolish in my opinion. Can’t say you weren’t warned!

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I’ve arrived in Moscow today and been out for a lovely meal followed by an evening in Red Square. There’s very little sign of any police or army and everyone seems very friendly.
Admittedly I’m following Australia, not England, but things seem very pleasant. The two course dinner was superb and with two beers it was less than £20. I’m getting a good feel about the place.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
When i was in Moscow, i thought it was funny that the two main restaurants right next to the Kremlin were McDonalds and KFC.

With beer being sold at £1.50 at the KFC then it was great soaking in the cultural surroundings whilst having a few beers with your meal :)

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
A mistake to give it to Russia in the first place and will be confirmed as a huge mistake at the end.
I think England fans will be too scared to start any trouble this time, but if they are picked on by other fans, especially Russians they will find themselves in a whole heap of trouble, with innocents being rounded up too.
You cannot trust Russians to actually do anything they say they will.
Racism could be a huge problem as well.
Obviously the longer we stay in the tournament the worse it will be, especially if Russia go out early.
Quick question, are you actually allowed to have a drink in Russia, get drunk and hang around outside singing etc?
If it's frowned upon, the Police will go wading in before any trouble has even started, apparently Russian plastic chairs are the least aerodynamic of any World Cup since Mexico.
Allowed? I believe it is compulsory.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've been in Moscow for the past week and everyone has been very welcoming. Haven't ever felt unsafe - including tube journeys alone late at night. No more to worry about than London so far.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here