Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Indeed, some lovely canals around there

Canal.jpg

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Thameslink making me 40 minutes late to work yesterday looks like 45 today I really think you shouldn't chance it, it's a shambles.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Recommendation is to check if the train is actually running as I believe there were cancellations of these services when the new timetable came in.

Thameslink from St Pancras to Brighton yesterday took almost twice as long as Eurostar from Paris to St Pancras. Complete & utter shambles and a crappy end to an otherwise lovely weekend.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Best colleges to visit are King's, Trinity and St. John's. The grounds and buildings are stunning. Trouble is a) everyone else knows; b) they like to charge you separately. You might of course have forgotten to bring your Cambridge Alumnus card (CamCard) that allows free entrance and you have brought your young daughter who was so looking forward to it.....

Less popular colleges are Emmanuel Pembroke and Downing (fairly close together and make a good sample of the different types of college).

Punting is a must - I would recommend paying up and take one of the student led punts. Don't believe a word they say; it is all made up.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
You can rent a bike and kids bikes and easily cycle to Grantchester to the cafe, lovely trip and setting. You can also rent a punt and do it but slightly harder work (but wonfderful as well).

Don't go to Grantchester It's almost as dangrouse as Midsomer. Edit flipping auto correct.

Last edited:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Punting on the Cam is jolly fun, they say

It's a lot harder than it looks. If you are planning to do it, avoid hiring one of the punts from the site just opposite a riverside pub. I did that and had a large audience for my inept and prolonged efforts to get the damn thing facing the right way. I wished I'd hired one of the posh types to punt for us.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Be interested as to how you get on.

Thinking of doing that trip this summer.

As widely predicted on here, the Cambridge train was cancelled (anyone noticed how the railplanner app just doesnt even mention these cancellations - the timetabled journeys just don't even feature) so we went to Blackfriars and a tour round the Globe theatre on a 2-for-1 deal. Monsoon conditions after so we abandoned the planned Tower of London trip, had a pizza and came home to sunny Sussex by the sea. When (if) the numpty train company get their arses in gear, I'll try again. Thank you for suggestions, BTW.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
As widely predicted on here, the Cambridge train was cancelled (anyone noticed how the railplanner app just doesnt even mention these cancellations - the timetabled journeys just don't even feature) so we went to Blackfriars and a tour round the Globe theatre on a 2-for-1 deal. Monsoon conditions after so we abandoned the planned Tower of London trip, had a pizza and came home to sunny Sussex by the sea. When (if) the numpty train company get their arses in gear, I'll try again. Thank you for suggestions, BTW.

Right, will wait until (if they ever do) they sort the current poxy service out.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Right, will wait until (if they ever do) they sort the current poxy service out.

I don't think they ever will sort it out. Mrs Cottager has just started commuting to Redhill from Preston Park. Only one of her journeys since the timetable change has been on time and she had to stand all the way to Three Bridges. The incompetence of the railway company and complacency of the Government is astounding.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It's a lot harder than it looks. If you are planning to do it, avoid hiring one of the punts from the site just opposite a riverside pub. I did that and had a large audience for my inept and prolonged efforts to get the damn thing facing the right way. I wished I'd hired one of the posh types to punt for us.

:bowdown:

Beagling on the downs, oh please do come they say...

Ha, one of you got it :thumbsup:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
“ so we went to Blackfriars and a tour round the Globe theatre on a 2-for-1 deal.”

Love The Globe , fabulous place, I saw a Shakespear play there as a groundling for £ 5 . I hope your daughter likes it .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here