Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brit Awards 2017

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
In the interests of research thought i'd give Skepta a listen today. I really cannot see what the fuss is about, either musically or lyrically. In fairness it's not really my thing and who am I to say it's no good. I just don't see it as something of exceptional merit.

Am genuinely interested to hear from those who appreciate this music as to what to listen out for. Am willing to give it another go.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
In the interests of research thought i'd give Skepta a listen today. I really cannot see what the fuss is about, either musically or lyrically. In fairness it's not really my thing and who am I to say it's no good. I just don't see it as something of exceptional merit.

Am genuinely interested to hear from those who appreciate this music as to what to listen out for. Am willing to give it another go.

I like Konnichiwa a lot but all music is an acquired taste

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Poor old Brits suffering something of a mid-life crisis and don't really know whether they're coming or gong IMHO. Reckon Romesh Ranganathan just about summed it up right when he said 'I’m here because they heard I listen to grime and they’re trying to over compensate for last year.”. This. Despite the token (so-so) Skepta performance (he in no way 'stole the show', no matter what The Guardian right-on-edly maintains) deceased 69 year old thin white duke David Bowie left them to go home empty-handed. Oh well. Their time will come. If they're good enough. Unless Robbie Williams dies before next years Brits. Jeez but Robbie was complete shit, as we always knew he would be. Anybody NOT go out and make a cup of tea while he was on? The National Grid must have SPIKED bigtime just before 10pm last night. Honourable mentions? The 1975's pink flash subliminal messages which were WAY more accurate than the band ever thought possible. It was EXACTLY what every non-partisan Brit observer was thinking. Big shoot in the foot there boys! Katy Perry with a nice understated tune without the puppets. Ed Sheeran. But even with good 'ol buskin' Ed, like somebody else said, here's a bloke who arrives at the Brits in a suit then gets changed into jeans and tee-shirts for his stage performance (for info: The Jam used to do exactly the same, except in reverse). Same old same old sham. Still required viewing tho eh?

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
It's pretty clear that these "awards" are paid or bid for by record labels, just so they can slap it on one of their "artists" and fool the public into thinking they are any good.

No one heard of this "Rag N Bone Man" (who when I heard speak I expected to hear a proper Sussex accent, but no, guess what, he didn't) a few months ago, and now he's the new best thing, and why? Because a major record label has advertised him loads and shoved it down everyone's throats. People are such sheep that they think they have to like it. These labels carefully pick which sort of "act" they like to make big. Is it any wonder why there aren't any massively successful working class bands anymore?

They wouldn't dare sign up a band like Oasis these days as they couldn't be controlled or play the game like the most of these "musicians" do.

There is no counter culture to the shite music you hear these days, and that's because the major records don't allow it. The way music is now is exactly why bands like The Sex Pistols, Nirvana and Oasis came about in their respective eras. By God do we need a band like that now.

Got to hand it to Chris Martin from Coldplay though, he certainly knows how to play the game, although he's lost any respect I had for him as a song writer, not that he would care as he's collecting his millions whilst doing nothing for the state of modern music.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
IThere is no counter culture to the shite music you hear these days, and that's because the major records don't allow it. The way music is now is exactly why bands like The Sex Pistols, Nirvana and Oasis came about in their respective eras. By God do we need a band like that now.

I get what you say but I have to disagree with this. There's a huge number of British bands pushing musical boundaries in all sorts of directions but I think the trouble is that there's so much music out there that it's difficult for them to get heard and big record companies are very risk-averse. I really don't think the Brits reflect what most musically-inclined teenagers listen to, it never has to be honest. [MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] is spot on when he said about if the Brits had been around when The Sex Pistols were going it would have been prog-rock bands that would have been winning the awards.

Take the 1995 Brits awards. Oasis won a Brit for best British breakthrough act but other Brit winners that year were Elton John, Lisa Loeb (remember her?), M People and Paul Weller.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
There is no counter culture to the shite music you hear these days, and that's because the major records don't allow it. The way music is now is exactly why bands like The Sex Pistols, Nirvana and Oasis came about in their respective eras. By God do we need a band like that now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEYYI1ii0AU

Interesting that the scenes that those 3 bands came from (punk, alt-rock/ grunge, britpop) were all ruined in a very short passage of time once the mainstream became aware of them and the majors started signing every band they could in the hope of unearthing the next Pistols/ Oasis./ Nirvana. Those special times in music where the underground meets the mainstream don't happen that often and normally by the time it happens, it's as good as over.

And anyway, isn't grime EXACTLY what you talking about? An underground, youth, working class/ council estate movement becoming more and more mainstream. 'Konnichiwa' may well be this generation's Never Mind the Bollocks/ Definitely Maybe or Nevermind. Seems you are expecting a musical revolution to come from an extremely narrow range of guitar music.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEYYI1ii0AU

Interesting that the scenes that those 3 bands came from (punk, alt-rock/ grunge, britpop) were all ruined in a very short passage of time once the mainstream became aware of them and the majors started signing every band they could in the hope of unearthing the next Pistols/ Oasis./ Nirvana. Those special times in music where the underground meets the mainstream don't happen that often and normally by the time it happens, it's as good as over.

And anyway, isn't grime EXACTLY what you talking about? An underground, youth, working class/ council estate movement becoming more and more mainstream. 'Konnichiwa' may well be this generation's Never Mind the Bollocks/ Definitely Maybe or Nevermind. Seems you are expecting a musical revolution to come from an extremely narrow range of guitar music.

As an aside, there is so much which is so good about that particular Sleaford Mods track and that particular performance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The BRITs are mainstream awards. Always have been, and always will be.

Good point. And it represents a certain music consuming demographic. I personally don't see an issue with it. It doesn't seem to hold anyone or anything back; if anything it compliments the UK music scene but for a very specific section.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
And anyway, isn't grime EXACTLY what you talking about? An underground, youth, working class/ council estate movement becoming more and more mainstream.

That's the sad thing. Grime is/was the counter-culture, but the top artists are desperate to enter the mainstream. (See: post-BRITs backlash last year)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here