Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How important is it to get a forward this window?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Personally I think it's a fine line between the quality we have up front currently and an injury giving us very few options/back up
I think it is vital we add more options up front

... 100% spot on...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Like with Wayne Bridge and Upson.

Defenders are different. An ageing top class centre back is always likely to be a success in the Championship, pace doesn't matter much and their experience means they are better than the strikers they are playing against. Loan moves fro strikers in January usually result in a promising youngster who isn't really ready for the cut and thrust of the Championship.

Or Muzza...

Slightly different, he's a season long loan and a proven Championship goal scorer, that's not the same as taking some kid on loan in January and expecting him to get us promoted, is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How is it complacency to suggest it would be a bad idea to sign someone who is only as good as we currently have?
Because we don't have cover for Baldock.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
How is it complacency to suggest it would be a bad idea to sign someone who is only as good as we currently have? Bizarre statement.

This team is a better side than last season's, and the rest of the division is weaker (apart from Newcastle).

Because you seem to fail to understand that one injury or suspension, to Sam B, and our promotion bid is derailed... we have cover for EVERY position, but one... it is VITAL to cover that position with a player at least as good as Sam B, preferably better... if you think it is NOT VITAL, then you are demonstrating complacency... and an inability to learn from last season's mistakes...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Crucial and vital.

I don't think it's possible to express how much signing a striker is required.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Slightly different, he's a season long loan and a proven Championship goal scorer, that's not the same as taking some kid on loan in January and expecting him to get us promoted, is it?
Expecting to get us promoted? You make it sound like we're in 8th and hoping for someone to turn it around. We just need another forward to provide cover/competition.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Because we don't have cover for Baldock.

Fair enough. We'll probably sign someone for that, but I think there's this perception that we are going to sign a superstar to storm us to promotion- is be amazed if that happens. Buying in January is a mug's game, the only time I can remember us getting it right is with Zillow, and even that was a different situation as he was meant to come in the Summer before anyway.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Defenders are different. An ageing top class centre back is always likely to be a success in the Championship, pace doesn't matter much and their experience means they are better than the strikers they are playing against. Loan moves fro strikers in January usually result in a promising youngster who isn't really ready for the cut and thrust of the Championship.

The suggestion was loans will be unsuccessful... you were owned (again)...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fair enough. We'll probably sign someone for that, but I think there's this perception that we are going to sign a superstar to storm us to promotion
So when someone says we're going to sign a superstar to storm us to promotion, feel free to shoot them down (although bear in mind they might be joking). Most of us aren't saying that, we're just saying we need someone for cover/competition - nothing ground breaking.

Buying in January is a mug's game, the only time I can remember us getting it right is with Zillow
Knockkaert, Skalak.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I see there are already a few hints that CH would be happy if we didn't bring anyone in this month. Personally I think that is a massive gamble. We needed one in the summer, I think it is vital we strengthen now for a big push

I tried to post a poll but think I've messed it up

It could also be a massive gamble bringing someone in too though. Not only do they have to be decent and affordable, but also fit in with the rest of the tightly knit team. Perhaps someone that others have already played with?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The suggestion was loans will be unsuccessful... you were owned (again)...

Jesus, I've just remembered why I hardly ever post anymore.

Can't believe I've been 'owned' on a football message board. The shame.

Cheerio x

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So when someone says we're going to sign a superstar to storm us to promotion, feel free to shoot them down (although bear in mind they might be joking). Most of us aren't saying that, we're just saying we need someone for cover/competition - nothing ground breaking.

Knockkaert, Skalak.

This is getting embarrassing for the 'Commander (of nothing)'...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because you seem to fail to understand that one injury or suspension, to Sam B, and our promotion bid is derailed... we have cover for EVERY position, but one... it is VITAL to cover that position with a player at least as good as Sam B, preferably better... if you think it is NOT VITAL, then you are demonstrating complacency... and an inability to learn from last season's mistakes...

Ultimately we stayed down because we had an absolutely horrific injury pile-up at the half way stage in the season, not because we didn't cover for our strikers. Nobody disagrees with you that adequate cover isn't a good thing, but if we can't find a striker sufficiently talented to cover Murray, Baldock and Murray at the right price then it is pointless signing him. That appears to be what [MENTION=2095]Commander[/MENTION] is saying, and personally I think he's right.

Try discussing it without acting like a rude, arrogant bell-end. For once. Your point of view is just that - your point of view. It isn't a fact.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
The irrational me says buy buy buy as soon as possible, whatever the cost. We went a whole game without scoring and the teams confidence must the in pieces. Bring in Derbyshire, Zamora with a Zimmer frame, Christ anyone! Oh, why did we release manu?!

The rational me says that Chris has a plan and confidence in the strikers he has (that have helped keep the team ahead of the chasing pack). Also that he has someone lined up and will join when either a) Chris wants him to or b) another deal involving the selling/loaning club goes through.

We are vulnerable to injuries, not lack of ability.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Can't believe I've been 'owned' on a football message board. The shame.

Cheerio x

Bye :wave:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It could also be a massive gamble bringing someone in too though. Not only do they have to be decent and affordable, but also fit in with the rest of the tightly knit team.
I don't think you need to worry. The team is so united, no one person could change that. We're also doing well, so no one would have the license to be billy big balls having claimed to turn us around.

Because you're taking a disagreement too seriously?

This is getting embarrassing for the 'Commander (of nothing)'...
Must have been a dance commander.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
FWIW I'd expect it's more likely we'll sign someone like Zach Clough rather than a Jordan Rhodes.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Don't think we'll spend big unless the perfect deal and match comes along but we do need a back up. If 1 or god forbid 2 of our 3 excellent strikers go down or out we are in trouble. An experienced back-up like Zamora might be exactly what we need. I know someone nippy who's experienced is harder to come by but any poacher type would do too.

Some clubs in this league seem to have about 8 strikers and shirly one of the ones not challenging in the top 8 can spare somebody who maybe doesn't fit their style or manager but is a journeyman else one of the promoted Prem clubs might have a role player rotting in the reserves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here