Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holidaying in California

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
We are considering a family holiday in California next summer but I must confess I totally underestimated how expensive it would be. Flights and accommodation are through the roof. Is there a cheap way of doing this that I haven't discovered yet?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Take a bike and a tent PCH1 is brilliant. Otherwise ask for a second referendum.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We are considering a family holiday in California next summer but I must confess I totally underestimated how expensive it would be. Flights and accommodation are through the roof. Is there a cheap way of doing this that I haven't discovered yet?

I've seen people get BA direct flights for £400-500. Economy, obviously, but if you don't mind that...

It's the usual thing with flights, I think: check often and pounce when you see something that suits. Maybe set up fare alerts on Kayak etc and consider 1-stop indirects if you're not overly bothered.

Also, this is a lesser known gem for price hunting: https://matrix.itasoftware.com (tip: select some nearby airports. Sometimes it's far cheaper to fly to a smaller local airport than a main hub)

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I've seen people get BA direct flights for £400-500. Economy, obviously, but if you don't mind that...

It's the usual thing with flights, I think: check often and pounce when you see something that suits. Maybe set up fare alerts on Kayak etc and consider 1-stop indirects if you're not overly bothered.

Also, this is a lesser known gem for price hunting: https://matrix.itasoftware.com (tip: select some nearby airports. Sometimes it's far cheaper to fly to a smaller local airport than a main hub)

Thanks, that's a good shout. Is the urban myth that you need that you need to delete cookies each time you look or the prices will just keep going up actually true?!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks, that's a good shout. Is the urban myth that you need that you need to delete cookies each time you look or the prices will just keep going up actually true?!

It is, as you suspect, a load of bollocks. Flight prices change all the time for any number of reasons.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Went a couple of years ago and stayed in an apartment we rented online between LA and San Diego. Lovely place but prices compared to, say, an equivalent property in Florida were eye-watering...........

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Went a couple of years ago and stayed in an apartment we rented online between LA and San Diego. Lovely place but prices compared to, say, an equivalent property in Florida were eye-watering...........

That's what I am already finding. I guess I naively assumed it would be dissimilar to Florida which we have done a few times now.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Cheapest guaranteed way to fly right now is Norwegian from Gatwick to LAX - can get it for under 200-300 GBP each way. They are pretty set as long as you book far enough out... but like Bozza says, depending on what time of year you can get BA/Virgin flights for the same price, but likely not at peak times.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It is, as you suspect, a load of bollocks. Flight prices change all the time for any number of reasons.

I know of one company that has definitely used 'Repeat Visit Pricing' in the past, but it's not as common as people make out, and as you rightly say is only one small part of what affects the price shown.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
California during school holidays will be very expensive as you are no doubt finding out.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Just searched for Bali flights next summer on that link. Came back MUCH cheaper, but offered me dates (for Emirates) that aren't even on sale yet on the Emirates website, nor any other site...... so not actually sure how on earth you actually book them. At least with Skyscanner it gives you a link to book.

If anyone could actually link me to the flight i've found i'd book it today. Ta

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia

Anywhere near Dana Point by any chance?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just searched for Bali flights next summer on that link. Came back MUCH cheaper, but offered me dates (for Emirates) that aren't even on sale yet on the Emirates website, nor any other site...... so not actually sure how on earth you actually book them. At least with Skyscanner it gives you a link to book.

If anyone could actually link me to the flight i've found i'd book it today. Ta

All flights for next Summer should be on sale, since they are sold a rolling 330 days in advance. So, assuming your return is on or before about mid-September (is that Summer?), then you should be able to book now.

What are your dates, and is it London - Denpasar?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Yep [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], outbound 16th August and returning 6th September. Quoted £519 on that site as below;

London (LHR) to Denpasar Bali (DPS) — Wed, Aug 16
Overnight flight

London (LHR) to Dubai (DXB) — Wed, Aug 16
Emirates 32
Dep: 7:50 pm
Arr: 5:50 am
7h 0m
Airbus A380
Economy (T)
Meal
Layover in DXB
Thu, Aug 17
2h 40m

Dubai (DXB) to Denpasar Bali (DPS) — Thu, Aug 17
Emirates 398
Dep: 8:30 am
Arr: 9:40 pm
9h 10m
Boeing 777
Economy (T)
Meal
Denpasar Bali (DPS) to London (LHR) — Wed, Sep 6

Denpasar Bali (DPS) to Dubai (DXB) — Wed, Sep 6
Emirates 399
Dep: 12:05 am
Arr: 5:00 am
8h 55m
Boeing 777
Economy (T)
Meal
Layover in DXB
2h 45m

Dubai (DXB) to London (LHR) — Wed, Sep 6
Emirates 1
Dep: 7:45 am
Arr: 12:15 pm
7h 30m
Airbus A380
Economy (T)
Meal
Mileage
16,134 total miles
Airport Information
London Heathrow (LHR)
Denpasar-Bali Ngurah Rai (DPS)
Dubai International (DXB)
Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees)
£519.75
Total cost for 1 passenger
£519.75

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7621244 said:
Another vote for Norwegian Gatwick to LAX (might be via Copenhagen if I remember correctly)

Although some airlines don't show up (Norwegian for example) another good way to find bargains is using Google Flight Search https://www.google.co.uk/flights/

Lots go via Copenhagen but you can go Gatwick to JFK or LAX direct, about 6 days a week i think it is

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yep [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], outbound 16th August and returning 6th September. Quoted £519 on that site as below;

London (LHR) to Denpasar Bali (DPS) — Wed, Aug 16
Overnight flight

London (LHR) to Dubai (DXB) — Wed, Aug 16
Emirates 32
Dep: 7:50 pm
Arr: 5:50 am
7h 0m
Airbus A380
Economy (T)
Meal
Layover in DXB
Thu, Aug 17
2h 40m

Dubai (DXB) to Denpasar Bali (DPS) — Thu, Aug 17
Emirates 398
Dep: 8:30 am
Arr: 9:40 pm
9h 10m
Boeing 777
Economy (T)
Meal
Denpasar Bali (DPS) to London (LHR) — Wed, Sep 6

Denpasar Bali (DPS) to Dubai (DXB) — Wed, Sep 6
Emirates 399
Dep: 12:05 am
Arr: 5:00 am
8h 55m
Boeing 777
Economy (T)
Meal
Layover in DXB
2h 45m

Dubai (DXB) to London (LHR) — Wed, Sep 6
Emirates 1
Dep: 7:45 am
Arr: 12:15 pm
7h 30m
Airbus A380
Economy (T)
Meal
Mileage
16,134 total miles
Airport Information
London Heathrow (LHR)
Denpasar-Bali Ngurah Rai (DPS)
Dubai International (DXB)
Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees)
£519.75
Total cost for 1 passenger
£519.75

I was waiting for your dates before pointing you at Google flights, per the link above.

I didn't go through the ITA matrix, but going through Google flights I was able to click through to Qatar Airways and get a definite £532 for your flights, although the return is a day earlier on 01/09/17.

Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 12.38.03.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 12.38.09.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 12.38.16.png

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here