[Albion] The Hardest Working Midfield in the League

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Lets put 120 km in perspective. That's 120km over 10 games. 12km per game. 8km per hour. When I go to the gym, I run on the treadmill between 13k-15k/hour.
I don't disagree with your general point, but you can't compare stop start sprinting, changing direction, tackling, passing etc which averages to 8km/h with a standard run.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Fully agree.

I find that the more regularly I train, the better my fitness levels are and the easier I find training and I'm in my 50's. These are guys who should be much fitter than me (after all, this is their job and I do a full-time job and fit training around that), are much younger and should therefore be recovering within 48 hours.

What may impact them more than fitness is minor injuries which they don't get the time to let the body fully repair.

Lets put 120 km in perspective. That's 120km over 10 games. 12km per game. 8km per hour. When I go to the gym, I run on the treadmill between 13k-15k/hour. Usually do about 6-7km followed by weights/stretching. I'll do this 3-5 time per week, so my total distance is say 25k per week.

This is not going to 'wear them out'. If it does, then they're in the wrong profession.

I get it playing 2 games over 3 days will impact you - but one game per week. Sorry, I just don't buy it.

I hope they can make a sprint in injury time after running 10,000 metres.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I'm not usre that the distance you run in a game equates with effectiveness. However, despite the missed passes and the way Propper and Stephens disappear from time to time I am coming to the conclusion that when they play together they are more than the sum of their parts. They ARE effective. So hope it continues. I don't think Sidwell has the legs any longer to match Stephens and Kayal might make us more defensive than we already are. Still think letting Norwood go was a mistake.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
His position (Gross) would then become more rigid and he wouldn't pop up on the wing as he frequently does now overloading a side, and as you said, would isolate our striker even moreso.

The way our 10, or false-10 whatever you want to call it, is able to freely move around the pitch is one of our greatest strengths at the moment with his ability to deliver.

This is a really good point, and indicates not just the rigidity of how most opponents are set up (their CBs and CMs don't seem to want to abandon their position to track Gross), and the intelligence with which Gross is performing his role, as a defining feature is his cropping up (and creating) in wide areas -- at least three of his assists (v West Brom, Bournemouth and Southampton) have come from out wide.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not usre that the distance you run in a game equates with effectiveness. However, despite the missed passes and the way Propper and Stephens disappear from time to time I am coming to the conclusion that when they play together they are more than the sum of their parts. They ARE effective. So hope it continues. I don't think Sidwell has the legs any longer to match Stephens and Kayal might make us more defensive than we already are. Still think letting Norwood go was a mistake.

An odd change of opinion so soon after saying the exact opposite.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
im 51 , iu work 9 hrs a day in the building game ....i bring home about 800 quid a week .....****ing deal with it ffs....!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here