Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Gunpowder bbc series - not for the faint hearted

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Sadly, history is littered with man's cruelty to man, including recently Nazis and IS etc. However, this must not be ignored but faced head on.

As for Gunpowder, I thoroughly enjoyed it, even so I did avert my eyes a little in the really gory scenes. A great way to learn history, although I am sure a little licence is used.

On the other hand the faint hearted can have their sparklers and sky rockets on November 5th and imagine they have embraced the story of Guy Fawkes.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If you don't like gore, peter James's detective novels, certainly the first 3 Roy grace books are horribly violent!

Funnily enough I don't mind reading blood, guts and gore (love the Roy Grace series), but don't particularly like watching it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I thought it was very good, despite the nasty bits. Bit they helped show how nasty life was back ten, and made me think how sick the whole Lewes (and other) bonfires thing is when they seem to take the religious bit too seriously......... and I am speaking as a protestant (who thinks that such labels don't matter too much.......)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Some of you lot on here should stay well away from Game of Thrones if you find this too graphic.
Strangely I've got no problem with GOT. I think it helps that it's fiction, unlike Gunpowder.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Some of you lot on here should stay well away from Game of Thrones if you find this too graphic.

I have, but thanks for the warning.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I thought it was very good, despite the nasty bits. Bit they helped show how nasty life was back ten, and made me think how sick the whole Lewes (and other) bonfires thing is when they seem to take the religious bit too seriously......... and I am speaking as a protestant (who thinks that such labels don't matter too much.......)

You realise at Lewes etc they are not actually anti catholic but just re-enacting history, just like they do at Battle with the Norman conquest re-enactments.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
You realise at Lewes etc they are not actually anti catholic but just re-enacting history, just like they do at Battle with the Norman conquest re-enactments.

I'll take your word for it. I must profess to not being particularly knowledgeable about such things. I've never been to the Lewes Bonfire.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The gory bits didn't bother me. What I found depressing was the thought that in 400 years we don't seem to have moved on from the idea of killing each other over the best way to worship god.

Edit: not that the Sue Perkins program was any more sane.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
It was somewhat gratuitous. ...to say the least. Discussion in our house blamed the success of Game of Thrones . If one series does it and wins, the next one will go one further. Of course we know that that is what happened, public hangings and being hung drawn and quartered... but do we need to experience the viewing ourselves to be informed?
The film "Gladiator " was called violent by some, it had nothing on this . I am reminded of the scene when the reluctant hero confronts the crowd afterwards and shouts " Are you not entertained? "
This was not 'entertainment ' to civilised people.

A pity , the drama parts were good .

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Watched the whole series on iplayer yesterday and enjoyed it. They were gory times and I thought it was pretty realistic.
Drawing and quartering cannot be dressed up in any way. It was what it was.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Watched the whole series on iplayer yesterday and enjoyed it. They were gory times and I thought it was pretty realistic.

Yep I did the same and also enjoyed it as well

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

This.

They were brutal times. If they had gone all wishy-washy about it, there would have complaints that it wasn't realistic enough.

With the Hanging, Drawing and Quartering scene, they could have made it an awful lot more gory if they had wanted to in order to make it realistic!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Wait - they burned an actual Pope in Lewes way back when for totally non anti Catholic reasons? Well, you live and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here