Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd Test: England v South Africa at Nottingham, Jul 14-18, 2017

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why am I not surprised that this isn't likely to go into a fifth day?

Both teams have been guilty in this series of piss poor 4th innings, capitulating with more than a day to spare. Where is the grit and grind traditionally associated with test cricket? Nobody seems to be able to pace themselves any more, and you fancy the players would rather have a fifth day on the gold course than guts it out.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The obvious answer is to scrap some or most of the one day competitions but the counties need the cash they generate. Or accept we have a generally poor test team.
Yeah cos all the other test nations don't play any 50 or twenty over cricket. Great logic.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Obviously didnt watch it well enough.
Perhaps you didn't. TMS were adamant that it was one of those balls which only come along once in a while, which are guaranteed to get any batsman. A perfectly delivered late outswinging yorker at 90mph plus is unplayable. And then a few balls later he produced a short one so fast and so sharp that it managed to get one of the world's finest players of short bowling out - also an unplayable delivery.
Basically, the SA 4th. string quick is having the day of his life, producing two balls of a quality that he might never reproduce again! Jennings and Balance were poor, but we expected that.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Perhaps you didn't. TMS were adamant that it was one of those balls which only come along once in a while, which are guaranteed to get any batsman. A perfectly delivered late outswinging yorker at 90mph plus is unplayable. And then a few balls later he produced a short one so fast and so sharp that it managed to get one of the world's finest players of short bowling out - also an unplayable delivery.
Basically, the SA 4th. string quick is having the day of his life, producing two balls of a quality that he might never reproduce again! Jennings and Balance were poor, but we expected that.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say BG was saying that the BATSMAN didn't watch it well enough.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm going to hazard a guess and say BG was saying that the BATSMAN didn't watch it well enough.

He knows that.

But BG is being stupid, in refusing to accept that it is perfectly possible for players to get out, without having committed any mistake, to a brilliant delivery (a 90mph out-swinging Yorker for example). Basically the only way to have played an effective defensive stroke to that ball, would have been to have played down the 'wrong' line to start with, and got lucky as it swung onto the bat.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

That may be what he was saying, but as it would be completely at odds with what the professional ex-test cricketers punditting (is there such a word?) on TMS said about it, it would be wrong wouldn't it. And that would be extraordinary..........................

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
There was nothing that Root could've done, that was definitely unplayable.

Cook's however is debatable. It was a good bouncer but it was over head height and I'd argue that he should be ducking those 15 minutes before lunch given the situation.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He knows that.

But BG is being stupid, in refusing to accept that it is perfectly possible for players to get out, without having committed any mistake, to a brilliant delivery (a 90mph out-swinging Yorker for example). Basically the only way to have played an effective defensive stroke to that ball, would have been to have played down the 'wrong' line to start with, and got lucky as it swung onto the bat.
Noooooooooo, Root is a 'disgrace' and playing 'village cricket'. 😂😂😂

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

:J)

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
moeen-bowled-moeen.png

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
South Africa WON by 340 runs.

What an embarrassing shambles from England with the bat for this entire Test match :nono:

One score of more than 50 (Joe Root 78 in the first innings), bowled out for 205 and 133. :nono:

Better luck next time lads.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Abject England. Out batted, bowled, fielded and captained.

Back to the England we all know and love.

:nono:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why doesn't Root step up and bat at 3? Seems the most obvious move to make to improve this side. Ballance would be better at 4 or 5. I wouldn't mind seeing Bairstow at 4.

338 runs for 20 wickets. Shambles.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Pretty obvious this was going to happen, we never dig in.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Not only a flaky top order, but the mid order and tail treat us to another of their collapses 122-5 to 133 all out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here