Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jermaine Defoe

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Heartbreaking and tragic. I cannot begin to understand the heartbreak that Bradley's parents are going through. From what I have seen through the media, he is an absolute diamond of a little boy.. life is so cruel.. I have nothing but respect for JD for the way that he has been there from the beginning xx

Bradley and his big brother.

IMG_0761.jpg

God only knows what he must be going through.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Our son died in January of skin cancer. He was 28, and the death of someone well before their time is difficult to comprehend.

Mark at least had the benefit of a childhood, he had time to qualify as a doctor and write a moving blog on https://wrestlingmelanoma.com. He raised £185k for CRUK, and his fund - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mark-sims5 - still goes on.

Bradley's and Jermaine's story is just as moving; a lad who made the best of the time he had and a young man who provided support at the right time. It is touching, and puts our own lives in perspective. Just makes us realise that worrying about strikers for next season is maybe less important than it might seem.

We shall not cure cancer in our lifetimes. It is an insidious condition that affects different people in different ways at different times. There are 250 different cancers. 1 in 2 of us will get it, which means that we shall all shed tears for ourselves or for a loved one, or most likely both, at some time in our lives.

I have cried many times for Mark, and still do. We shall never get over it, and nor will Bradley's family. It just seems so unfair. Mark once collapsed into my arms crying that it was so pointless for him to die. Bradley probably didn't understand the implications of his illness, which in a way is a blessing, in another way a deeper tragedy.

I salute JD as someone who could bring some joy and fulfilment into Bradley's short life. Maybe we can all just stop for a minute and offer our respect and gratitude for the goodness of the human condition.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I just hope that JD gets the recognition that he deserves in the new years honours list. His selfless approach to this unfolding tragedy is an inspiration to us all.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
Our son died in January of skin cancer. He was 28, and the death of someone well before their time is difficult to comprehend.

Mark at least had the benefit of a childhood, he had time to qualify as a doctor and write a moving blog on https://wrestlingmelanoma.com. He raised £185k for CRUK, and his fund - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mark-sims5 - still goes on.

Bradley's and Jermaine's story is just as moving; a lad who made the best of the time he had and a young man who provided support at the right time. It is touching, and puts our own lives in perspective. Just makes us realise that worrying about strikers for next season is maybe less important than it might seem.

We shall not cure cancer in our lifetimes. It is an insidious condition that affects different people in different ways at different times. There are 250 different cancers. 1 in 2 of us will get it, which means that we shall all shed tears for ourselves or for a loved one, or most likely both, at some time in our lives.

I have cried many times for Mark, and still do. We shall never get over it, and nor will Bradley's family. It just seems so unfair. Mark once collapsed into my arms crying that it was so pointless for him to die. Bradley probably didn't understand the implications of his illness, which in a way is a blessing, in another way a deeper tragedy.

I salute JD as someone who could bring some joy and fulfilment into Bradley's short life. Maybe we can all just stop for a minute and offer our respect and gratitude for the goodness of the human condition.

sorry to hear of your loss x

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Bloody Hell, mate, I am so sorry for your loss. I have two sons, 20 and 18, and this has really hit me.

Stay strong, fella, and RIP Mark. He sounds like a really good one.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere

What an absolutely heart wrenching post. As you say it really does put all the trivialities that we post on a daily basis into perspective.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I just hope that JD gets the recognition that he deserves in the new years honours list. His selfless approach to this unfolding tragedy is an inspiration to us all.

By the sound of things an award of any kind is the last thing on Jermaine Dafoe's mind. He has made a connection with poor Bradley that is it's own reward. He,and those who have followed the story of Bradley's life now know how lucky and precious life is and how it should be appreciated.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
File under genuine footballing role model. A rare example of a Premier League player who deserve his salary.

This. Defoe had an 'excuse' to not go being in Bmuff but flies up undoubdably at his own expense to say goodbye.

Definitely deserve a round of applause from the Amex.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

I don't because it will open up a whole can of worms. We know Defoe is doing what he's doing because he has genuine compassion and love for Bradley. He may have earned our respect and admiration but he certainly wasn't looking for it, he is doing it for totally selfless reasons. If you throw some New Years honour into the mix you'll start getting all sorts of celebrities latching on to terminally ill children for purely self serving and selfish reasons. These children don't need parasites with ulterior motives attaching themselves to them in their short lives. They need people with genuine altruistic reasons for wanting to be there for them. They need the genuine love and warmth of people who genuinly care for them like Defoe does with Bradley. I think an honour would taint their whole relationship. You shouldn't receive an honour for behaving like a decent human being, it should be expected and I'm sure an honour or award is the last thing Defoe would want. I think it would embarass him.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
This. Defoe had an 'excuse' to not go being in Bmuff but flies up undoubdably at his own expense to say goodbye.

Definitely deserve a round of applause from the Amex.

The expense is peanuts to JD. But JD has given his time to Bradley and became a part of Bradley's tragic journey, sharing the unbearable heartache when he did not have to. Total respect.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Defoe is one of the few players I wouldn't resent paying £20M over three years for. Definitely the sort of man I'd like to see in our team. Wouldn't have been a bad move on footballing grounds either. Oh well, he's gone to B'muff, not us.
Our loss, their gain. Move on. Heartfelt feelings to little Bradley and his family though.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This takes me back to when I was a kid.

I had a serious illness. Not that young. I was in between 2nd and 3rd year at secondary school . So about 12 years old at the time. When I was in hospital and off school for a long time, my mother arranged for my football hero to come visit me in hospital. That hero was Peter Marinello

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-George-Best-lost-ended-stranded-Butlins.html

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p...pHYBw#imgrc=FNrewNQOlmCJdM:&spf=1498953285455

He visited me in hospital. Not all the time like Jermaine has done with Bradley only a short 20 minute visit but for sure, I am in my 50s now and what that guy did for a 12 year old could buy is worth it's weight in gold and it lives with me still.

It was the best 20 minutes of my life at the time and whilst its not the best 20 of my life now, I know for sure it is one of the best 20 minutes even now 40 years down the line.

I guarantee young Bradley is a happy young lad and for me I look at Jermaine Defoe and think ''Yeh it makes you happy to bring joy to a young lad but you couldn't even imagine what joy you bring to him'' I can't begin to express what admiration I feel for Jermaine AND he supports th ''Happy Soul Festival'' another Charity. The guy is a true ''Gentleman'' for making Bradley feel so comfortable that he is all too willing to wrap his arms around him at every opportunity.

Peter Marinello and Jermaine Defoe...................Small things have MASSIVE results and I leave it at that !

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I always thought JD was a bit of a tw@, various page 3 girls, the media manager thing, the way he left West Ham, but, give him his due, he has been exceptional with this brave little boy.

Opposite for me .

Largely has kept out the news . Done loads of good things with his status . Had loads of personal tragedy and seems a proper decent bloke.
On a footballing level , can't knock his record and 1/3 for England . Deserved more caps and should of been the main man .

Top bloke

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Jermaine Defoe comes across as very fine human being. I would feel very humbled to ever tell him to his face.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The first time Jermaine Defoe came to my attention outside of his role as a footballer was about 10 years ago when he was on a "A Million Pound Place in the Sun" which was a high end version of the tv property programme "A Place in the Sun" where they devote each episode to people (usually a couple) looking to buy a property abroad, Spain in this case. Although Defoe was one half of the featured couple he was notable by his absence even though it was obviously his money that was going to pay for the multi million pound property. The whole programme featured his wag girlfriend of the time accompanied by her mother looking round a variety of properties and trying to decide which one they wanted to buy with JD's money. The programme was interspersed with the wag girlfriend enthusiastically phoning JD telling him how fantastic the property was she and her mum had set their hearts on and he should come out to see it. The lack of interest or enthusiasm shown by JD when he was on the phone to her was obvious and he was coming up with excuses to avoid having to go out there himself and told her if it was what she wanted he'd trust her judgement. We were watching the whole programme green with envy that this girl could just have this multi million pound property handed to her on a plate without having to work for it or even pay for it by simple virtue of her WAG status. The programme ended with her presumably getting her dream house. I was seething by this point. Then as the closing credits rolled there was a voiceover, "Since the making of this programme Jermaine Defoe and (wag girlfriend) are no longer together so they didn't get to buy their dream property". TV Gold. The clues were there all through the programme but I didn't see that coming. Another highlight of the programme was when the WAG commented on the "funny wallpaper" in one property before being told by the bemused presenter that it wasn't wallpaper it was marble. As a result of that programme Defoe had already risen in my estimation.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
What he has done is legendary when we question footballers these days. However got grit in my eyes I think tonight reading what is going on with big Brad

What he has done is legendary when we question footballers these days. However got grit in my eyes I think tonight reading what is going on with big Brad

I've read about adults going through cancer treatment who have taken strength from how Bradley has tackled it.

That little boy is an inspiration to many.

Haway Bradley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here