Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Local Elections 2018

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The delusion on here constantly by Labour voters is astounding.

Let’s look at the current situation:
May is crap, I mean really crap. And I am usually a Tory voter.
Brexit is proving to be difficult (we can argue as to why and the rights/wrongs about that on the other thread, but it’s being made hard by the EU/Remain MPs/HoL).
Incumbent governments nearly always suffer a protest vote in the council elections.
Austerity/NHS/Police numbers - there’s lot’s of sticks to beat the government with.

Yet, with all of this Labour has gained 60 seats and the Tories down 5.

If there are a ny parties going to be held tonight, they will be in the Tories HQ and not Labours. If the lefties on here really believe this is an endorsement of Labour then keep drinking the cool-aid. This is a bad result for Labour; not because of the votes you got, but because , even with all the Tory crap, you still couldn’t inflict damage.
This analysis is almost spot on, except for the nonsense about Remainers making Brexit difficult (but I'll forgive you that as you are clearly prone to have some major brainfarts surrounding that particular issue)

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But neither will the Tories get a majority under May and her right wing loony head bangers so what happens now ???
Neither the Tories or Labour seem to have any interest in serving the best interests of the country. A total lack of pragmatism on either side.

In answer to your question, we'll get another shìt Tory minority government, or a shìt Labour minority government. We'll get the shìt government we deserve.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yes, it's this level of competence that the Labour party are up against, and they STILL can't make gains and eat into the Tory lead of the popular vote.

I think that just says it all about Corbyn's appeal to 70% of the electorate. Labour need to wake up and smell the coffee because a more centralist party would annihilate the Tories.

Completely agree with this!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
But neither will the Tories get a majority under May and her right wing loony head bangers so what happens now ???

How have many local election results been replicated in General election results? The next GE is scheduled for 5th of May 2022 .....

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Looks like the UKIP racist vote has all gone to the Tories, Labour haven't gained much and LD's slow recovery continues. Pretty uneventful

No it hasn't. In Adur Labour made four gains, all from UKIP as UKIP voters returned to Labour. UKIP didn't just draw their support from the Tories.

larus

This analysis is almost spot on, except for the nonsense about Remainers making Brexit difficult (but I'll forgive you that as you are clearly have some major brainfarts surrounding that particular issue)

We disagree about Brexit I accept. We will have different views on what we should be doing.

My point is that the process is complicated anyway, but she’s having to negotiate with the the EU, keep the internal Tory politics in mind, and deal with other political parties who will use the Brexit process as a way to disrupt the government, even if this is against their own Brexit principles. If the Tories had a bigger majority, then she would have less to worry about internal Tory politics.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
How have many local election results been replicated in General election results? The next GE is scheduled for 5th of May 2022 .....

00F710B7-4E1B-4A30-B51F-83B65DADE595.jpeg

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
So a dysfunctional Tory shower cannot be bettered by a chaotic Left wing alliance of nutters. State of UK politics today - thoroughly depressing. At least UKIP were wiped out.

Yes, it's this level of competence that the Labour party are up against, and they STILL can't make gains and eat into the Tory lead of the popular vote.

I think that just says it all about Corbyn's appeal to 70% of the electorate. Labour need to wake up and smell the coffee because a more centralist party would annihilate the Tories.

Both of these.
Both major party leaders are worst in decades.

Happy for Vince Cable. Deserved some success in my opinion.
They will likely make gains in the next GE but even 20 MPs would be a success so won't make much difference in the scheme of things, other than hurt Labour in London and Tories in South West.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here