Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray to sign today...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What an odd statement. How are we screwed without a statement of intent signing? We came third last year without this 'statement of intent' signing. We came third with a points total that would generally have got you up despite a horrendous run of injuries mid season. Alongside that, we signed arguably our best player (Knockaert) in January so he only had half a season at the club as well as Skalak and since then our form was amazing. I don't understand the negativity.

Having said all that, we clearly want to sign two strikers as we lost two at the end of the season and Murray would be a decent option as one so I don't get what you are getting so annoyed about on this thread.

Because all season long the team was clearly short of goals, let's not get blinded by 12 goals against 3 weak teams.
Tomer was flogged like a dead horse, because there was no replacement.
The Albion drew 17 games last season. Sure some were 'good' draws but nevertheless that's still a lot of points dropped.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Because all season long the team was clearly short of goals, let's not get blinded by 12 goals against 3 weak teams.
The Albion drew 17 games last season. Sure some were 'good' draws but nevertheless that's still a lot of points dropped.

Yes, and Murray would be an alternative to Hemed. I'm not talking about 12 goals in three games. I'm talking about 13 wins, 6 draws and 1 defeat in the last 20 league games. Yes, we drew a lot of games in the first half of the season but, once we signed Knockaert and Skalak, we won a lot more of our games and scored a lot more (5-0, 4-0, 4-0, 4-0 and 3-0) having only won by one goal in the first half of the season.

I don't get the negativity. To say we're screwed if we don't sign an expensive striker is a complete over reaction, especially on a thread where we're talking about a possible signing.

Also, whatever you might say about 12 goals in three games, fact is we ended the season level top scorers in the league.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Also, whatever you might say about 12 goals in three games, fact is we ended the season level top scorers in the league.

History has a habit of hiding truth to a certain degree...

The history books will show we were 'top' scorers in the league.....we were at times very short on goals...remember the 6 game run without a goal scored?

The history books will show we finished 3rd and just missed out on promotion....reality was it was a great deal narrower than 'just' close.

Edit:it was 5 games

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Eddie Howe is a good manager and one year ago thought Murray worthy of a 3-year contract - I take that as proof enough he should be more than good.

I thought he's looked decent in the Prem, he knows how to score goals in the Championsip, he lives locally. Like Sidwell this is another solid, no-brainer signing.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
He has been spotted in Lancing more than once this week....and it wasn't at the Co-op!
He was having a mixed grill share platter at the Harvester.... although he didn't have the curly fries, was he sharing it with @Earnest though?... I am sure we will get an update from the oracle soon.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I'm pretty sure we're not going to break the bank for him though. If he wants to come then he may have agreed a deal and taken a pay cut. He'll get more goals than any of our strikers last season except Hemed so it adds further goals to the team and I'm optimistic we will break the bank on another striker. I don't understand some of the negativity on this thread. Just because we made a mistake in letting him go doesn't mean we shouldn't sign him.

Great player for us in 2010, but it's 2016 now, he was mercenary back then what makes you think he'd take a cut to play for us now?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't get the negativity. To say we're screwed if we don't sign an expensive striker is a complete over reaction, especially on a thread where we're talking about a possible signing.

Because there's no way Murray, Hemed, Baldock and loanee/youngest will be enough to even match last season's effort.
Judging by the way the division is going it'll be, at best, mid-table, and that's only if they ALL are able to contribute.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
History has a habit of hiding truth to a certain degree...

The history books will show we were 'top' scorers in the league.....we were at times very short on goals...remember the 6 game run without a goal scored?

The history books will show we finished 3rd and just missed out on promotion....reality was it was a great deal narrower than 'just' close.

Yes, I agree which is why I put that at the end of my point. However, since Christmas, when we signed Knockaert and Skalak, we scored a lot of goals. The shortage of goals happened before they joined and with a massive injury list. And, during the second half of the season, we missed Zamora for the last couple of months and WIlson didn't hit much form so I find it odd for anyone to say we're screwed unless we make a 'statement of intent' signing (which is what Stat Brother is claiming).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Why the hyperbole? He scored 7 goals which got us points to be in at the death even though we ultimately failed. His presence in the dressing room plus a few great goals do not make him ok. His return was a success, I didn't say outstanding.
Dont pretend you knew his wages because you don't.

No hyperbole here, I think that is firmly in your camp. I said he did OK, you argued against my opinion. Pretend to know his wages? Get off your high horse, that is known elsewhere as an estimate.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Because there's no way Murray, Hemed, Baldock and loanee/youngest will be enough to even match last season's effort.
Judging by the way the division is going it'll be, at best, mid-table, and that's only if they ALL are able to contribute.

Says who? Hemed got 17 goals. Why won't he match that? He'll have experience of the Championship behind him. Baldock only got four goals (and WIlson five) so matching that won't be hard and I'm confident Murray could get the seven goals that Zamora did. We also have more goals from midfield now than we did at the start of last season.

I see you carefully ignored the section referencing the record we have since Christmas.

As for the division, Newcastle will probably walk it but there's no guarantees about the other two. You'd think the whole division had been changed to much harder teams based on last season. It is three teams and they are replacing three other teams who we only got 7 points against in 6 games. Take those points and give us 0 and we'd still have ended the season with 82 points. Hardly screwed.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Great player for us in 2010, but it's 2016 now, he was mercenary back then what makes you think he'd take a cut to play for us now?

It depends what he wants. He has made a lot of money since then and still lives in Brighton. He has a choice of staying at Bournemouth and not getting games or going elsewhere and we're his best option. I imagine he'll be paid a decent wage but it won't break the bank.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

So many points dropped but we got 89 points. Usually 89 points is enough for automatic. You want blood!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
[Tweet]749353165015908352[/Tweet]

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yes, I agree which is why I put that at the end of my point. However, since Christmas, when we signed Knockaert and Skalak, we scored a lot of goals. The shortage of goals happened before they joined and with a massive injury list. And, during the second half of the season, we missed Zamora for the last couple of months and WIlson didn't hit much form so I find it odd for anyone to say we're screwed unless we make a 'statement of intent' signing (which is what Stat Brother is claiming).

That's fair comment although I have always believed in having 4 wingers to rotate with but the reference you make is valid..
We have to find somebody to replace Zamora as well......perhaps the real way to look at things is to imagine the team we had last season and then imagine we had signed Leonardo Ulloa....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No hyperbole here, I think that is firmly in your camp. I said he did OK, you argued against my opinion. Pretend to know his wages? Get off your high horse, that is known elsewhere as an estimate.

Do you know the meaning of hyperbole? Words like outstanding which came from you, not me.

No high horse here, just laughing at your protestations.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
That's fair comment although I have always believed in having 4 wingers to rotate with but the reference you make is valid..
We have to find somebody to replace Zamora as well......perhaps the real way to look at things is to imagine the team we had last season and then imagine we had signed Leonardo Ulloa....

I think Murray is the Zamora replacement to compete with Hemed as the target man and we'll get a new first choice striker to play alongside one of them, with Baldock as back up. It may well be that this striker is a statement of intent. I just don't understand how we're screwed if we don't (which some people seem to be claiming).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here