Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm sure Bong is 100% convinced of what he heard, that's not to say it's what Rodriguez said. There have been plenty of times that I'm convinced I've heard something, only for it to transpire that something else was said.

It's perfectly possible for:

- Bong to be sure he heard what he believes he heard.
- Rodriguez to be sure he didn't say anything that could be construed as racist.

We watched the game in a pub via some foreign channel, and the actions from Rodriguez were very clear. What was less clear was what he actually said. I'm not a lip reader, but I'm not sure even those that are will be able to definitively state what Rodriguez said to Bong which will leave it as one word against another.

If the reports are correct, the holding nose part occurred a (short) while after the words were said, so unless there's other camera footage, it may not have been captured.

D

Deleted member 22389

All I saw was that player holding his nose and waving his hand. It was a silly gesture, and what was meant to be completely harmless has been taken the wrong way, that's my opinion.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm sure Bong is 100% convinced of what he heard, that's not to say it's what Rodriguez said. There have been plenty of times that I'm convinced I've heard something, only for it to transpire that something else was said.

It's perfectly possible for:

- Bong to be sure he heard what he believes he heard.
- Rodriguez to be sure he didn't say anything that could be construed as racist.

We watched the game in a pub via some foreign channel, and the actions from Rodriguez were very clear. What was less clear was what he actually said. I'm not a lip reader, but I'm not sure even those that are will be able to definitively state what Rodriguez said to Bong which will leave it as one word against another.

I think you're right. The actions are in no dispute whatsoever - they are clearly caught on camera for everyone to see.

I'd have to see it again to be sure, but I seem to recall that there was no clear footage of Rodriguez saying anything. One thing is for sure though, if there is any footage at all of him saying something then lip readers will be able to pick it up. I have in my mind an army of professional lip readers watching televised sport all the time, or else why would so many participants in these events cover their mouths so often?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It seems to be a quite imprecise science with two lip readers often reading two completely different things.

If no one else overheard then I can't see how Rodriguez can be found guilty unless he admits to it. Why would he lie isn't enough.

That's interesting, about it being an imprecise science. I suppose it is really when you come to think about it.

It fascinates me how this covering of the mouth when speaking has crept into top level sport to the point where it's now common place. Doubles tennis players seem to do it all the time. Have they always done this I wonder? And why? All seems a bit bizarre to me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think you're right. The actions are in no dispute whatsoever - they are clearly caught on camera for everyone to see.

I'd have to see it again to be sure, but I seem to recall that there was no clear footage of Rodriguez saying anything. One thing is for sure though, if there is any footage at all of him saying something then lip readers will be able to pick it up. I have in my mind an army of professional lip readers watching televised sport all the time, or else why would so many participants in these events cover their mouths so often?

Agreed. From what I've seen, it's going to be difficult for any proof to be found to support Bong's claims. And if there's no proof, I am assuming there'll be no action taken, unless the gesture itself is deemed as worthy of retribution.

And if Bong's claim is not upheld, then he's going to get a LOT of stick from West Brom fans (and players like James McClean, it seems) who, very probably incorrectly, will be calling him a liar. He might be right, he might be wrong, but the latter doesn't make him a liar.

That's interesting, about it being an imprecise science. I suppose it is really when you come to think about it.

It fascinates me how this covering of the mouth when speaking has crept into top level sport to the point where it's now common place. Doubles tennis players seem to do it all the time. Have they always done this I wonder? And why? All seems a bit bizarre to me.

It's certainly happened in baseball for some time >>> http://www.espn.co.uk/mlb/story/_/id/9589483/the-history-glove-talking-baseball

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
Cyrille Regis, who’s just died, played for WBA and he used to get real abuse. Sad coincidence

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Doubles tennis players have various strategies on where the ball is going to be served, and where the partner should go to hit the return. I can see why they do it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Agreed. From what I've seen, it's going to be difficult for any proof to be found to support Bong's claims. And if there's no proof, I am assuming there'll be no action taken, unless the gesture itself is deemed as worthy of retribution.

And if Bong's claim is not upheld, then he's going to get a LOT of stick from West Brom fans (and players like James McClean, it seems) who, very probably incorrectly, will be calling him a liar. He might be right, he might be wrong, but the latter doesn't make him a liar.

It's certainly happened in baseball for some time >>> http://www.espn.co.uk/mlb/story/_/id/9589483/the-history-glove-talking-baseball

Good article that, thanks.

Three words jump out to me - neurotic, paranoia and herd. Especially the latter. You only have to see how many pro sports players have tattoos now to see how strong the herd mentality is.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Three words jump out to me - neurotic, paranoia and herd. Especially the latter. You only have to see how many pro sports players have tattoos now to see how strong the herd mentality is.

Indeed, and where the herd is concerned, well, that's a whole other Nietzsche-sized can of worms.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Doubles tennis players have various strategies on where the ball is going to be served, and where the partner should go to hit the return. I can see why they do it.

Yep, but do you really think their opponents are looking over to try to lip read what they're saying? Of course they're not!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yep, but do you really think their opponents are looking over to try to lip read what they're saying? Of course they're not!
No, but the opposition coach is on the phone to a colleague who is lip-reading on the live TV feed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If Bong says he asked him to repeat it, and he did, then I can't see how Bong is mistaken.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No, but the opposition coach is on the phone to a colleague who is lip-reading on the live TV feed.

All before the next point is played. Top work then! :lol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
CLUB STATEMENT: FA INVESTIGATION

Brighton & Hove Albion defender Gaetan Bong has requested that The Football Association fully investigate his allegation against West Bromwich Albion’s Jay Rodriguez.

Albion left-back Bong reported Rodriguez to match official Martin Atkinson, for a verbal comment made during Saturday’s 2-0 defeat at the Hawthorns - and the referee included the allegation in his report to The FA.

As is FA procedure in these incidents, in response to the referee’s report, Bong has subsequently confirmed the allegation and his wish for The FA to proceed with a full investigation into the incident.

Chief executive Paul Barber said, “Gaetan has the full support of everyone at the club through this process.

“The club will also assist The Football Association in their investigation, but at this stage we would prefer not to make any further comment until this process has concluded.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here