Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Hart- Worthing Herald

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Giving a wanker smiley to Harty for that honest appraisal kind of shows you know little .

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The only comment to be made about Ian's day job is this: If Carlsberg did funerals...they'd employ Harty.

Anyway, re: football matters, he's a top bloke, Albion Legend and even when he offers a controversial opinion, it's a dammed sight more interesting than the majority dullards that NSC is infested with these days.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I agree with some on here that the written style of the article is a little amateur, but what Harty is saying is in line with many other fans, no doubt including the high number of stay away fans that we have had this season (both home and away). Our problem is not dissimilar to what happened at times last season. Most of our good chances are falling to players other than our attackers. And those players will have, on average, a strike rate of about 25-30 chances per goal scored. Even someone like Lua Lua needs around 18 attempts before he scores on average. That means we need to create 20+ chances a game to score a goal. Most good forwards (like Ulloa) have a ratio of about 5:1. CMS is at about 8:1 in his career with us. Chris O'Grady has just not had many clear chances, in fact I am struggling to think of any. Our style of play, narrow, does not seem to be helping here. We may well go on and score 5 in a game sometime soon, one day things will click, but if we continue to expect fullbacks and midfielders to be the ones to put away the chances we are going to be disappointed.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Perhaps it's good for the Albion to have one newspaper in Sussex that's prepared to criticise it.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I've been privileged to know Harty from Gulls Eye days (I was cartoonist for a different fanzine) and the man bleeds blue and white and is a real nice guy...and like everyone else he is entitled to express his OPINIONS as he sees fit...whether you agree or disagree with him is up to you...put it this way,if you were paid to write a colunm to put down your opinion what would you write...your opinion or what the popular fan opinion is....Keep up the good work Ian....

gollum

Dec 29, 2004
Agree with most of what he said. If anything, Baldock was the panic buy, not O'Grady. Given the result tonight it puts our recent results against both these sides into perspective. We are not going to score enough goals to save ourselves without better quality up front. Either a loan signing pretty soon or spend some cash in January.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Harty is prepared to put his opinions, knee jerk and all, into print. Fair play to him - more than I would do (and posting on here is not the same). It creates discussion and ultimately this thread proves how successful Ian is at what he does for a sideline. I know Ian from a way back and know that he is BHA all the way through. No need to get personal or whatnot. His point was not a great start, but we have the quality to do better if the squad gels. COG? I remember Farrington and how disappointing he was. That's football, not a lynching offence for the person who signed him. Did the Forest fans feel the same disappointment about Peter Ward?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Thanks for all the feedback, both positive and negative. Due to deadlines the column is written at 6am Wednesday morning, and was, as is with most of us Albion supporters a knee jerk reaction, the only difference being mine is lucky enough to be published.

Nearly 72 hours after the Cardiff I'm still disappointed, not just at the fact that we should have had all three points but for the season as a whole so far.

I know no team has a divine right to challenge for the play-offs every season, but with the sucess of the last two seasons we've set a standard, and let's not kid ourselves if we're nowhere near the play off picture come January, regardless of announced attendance figures there could be between 12,000-15,000 empty seats for some league games and with the core support we'd previously built up that will be a crying shame.

Could it have been all so different?

Do some employees at the club appear to actually not the grasp the nettle?

Who was the first choice for the managerial vacancy?

Is COG the Mark Farrington of his generation?

That's the wonderful thing about opinions and the supporting the Albion.

Spadge your more than entitled to your opinion, that's the beauty of football, just don't bring my day job into it.

Thanks

Harty

And don't blame the punctuation on me, that's what sub editors 'do', I run a full spell and grammar check before sending.

Mr Barber was full of himself with the 'high caliber' of applicants applying for the position of first team manager which did make the appointment of Hypia seem a little strange.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Mr Barber was full of himself with the 'high caliber' of applicants applying for the position of first team manager which did make the appointment of Hypia seem a little strange.

You don't think the appointment of someone with Bundesliga managerial experience as high calibre???

PS You can't argue with me, I'm burying somebody's mother tomorrow.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'd like to add my support to Mr Rider, with one caveat - it's fair to bring his day job into when he sets such an excellent standard. Those of us who were privileged to be at Roy Chuter's funeral could only hope to have such a send-off. And his Richard Hebberd joke was brilliant. Yes, at a funeral. Just a pity I won't be able to hear the ones he tells at mine.

That aside, it's not his job as a columnist to write something that everyone, or even a majority, will agree with, but to write what he thinks. And spark debate if possible, which he has certainly done!

I share his misgivings about the result. The road to relegation is paved with matches where you play your best and still don't win, although I also agree with him that it shouldn't come to that. And as for O'Grady, I don't think a signing has to be last-minute to qualify as a panic buy. In fact, I think he's one we wouldn't have bought if we'd waited a bit and thought about it. But the need to fill the hole Ulloa had left and be seen to spend some of the money that had come in seemed to unhinge some people at the club.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Keep it quiet but Barber is a bit of a dick. Somehow he's convinced many on here that's he's a great guy because he can answer an email quickly. Sad reflection on typical football fans

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Keep it quiet but Barber is a bit of a dick. Somehow he's convinced many on here that's he's a great guy because he can answer an email quickly. Sad reflection on typical football fans

Let's just hope that SH leads us to the promised land. Jury's out - you can agree or not?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Let's just hope that SH leads us to the promised land. Jury's out - you can agree or not?
I just cant see this team of ours winning ugly when required combined with bad substitution decisions game after game I'm worried for us this season.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
So, is there a scale of defend-able occupations on here ? Is it ok to say, " your views are unacceptable as you are an Estate Agent and it took you 9 months to sell my aunties house " or " I don't care what you think as you were the plumber who took 4 hours to arrive "

No soppy bollocks. I care far more that he was one of the first to highlight the attempt to kill our club. That he risked his own financial security to let the fans know what was going on and that he doesn't sit behind a keyboard making snidey comments about other people. I couldn't give a f**k about his occupation other than he was very kind to me and did his job very well. If your support of this club ever amounts to a tenth of what that fella did, then you would have my respect too...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Always had time for Harty & loved his show. Used to call in a lot. Once I was so annoyed about Gavin Hoytes' lack of effort in one particular move (we were defending) that I did call in & rant. One of my most memorable mentions in the show was when my mate text in (after a debate in the car on the way home from a match) and pretended to be me. I was sticking up for Nathan Jones & my mate was saying he's shit. My mate text in 'my nan's better than Nathan Jones from Sheebo'. Harty of course believed this to be me & made a few jokes. The next week I call in & Harty asks how my nan is - 'I'm afraid she's dead' I replied... I did explain it wasn't me after! Remember this Ian?! [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't live locally - haven't for years. Didn't know about Ian Hart's connections with the Albion. My only contact with him concerned my now departed parents, for both of whom he did a good job (apart from a bit of a cock-up with the church in Goring, which wasn't really his fault)- but from what I have seen on this thread he is fully entitled to have an opinion about the Albion - probably more so than a lot of us.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Jury's out for sure. I don't feel like SH's been given the proper backing though and am concerned over the forwards provided; Baldock, Ogrady, Colunga and CMS don't indicate the promised land to me. Defence and midfield sure but its no surprised to me that we aren't finding the back of the net.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here