The guy is clearly a CJTC - full stop.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
*Chope

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The guy is clearly a CJTC - full stop.
That seemed the most likely reason but I didn't know if it was like the US and he could tag on some other policy/law to get it through.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Also voted against a Hillsborough debate in favour of one about MPs pensions, and against Alan Turing receiving a pardon.

Nice chap. In touch with the people.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
It is this sort of moron who should be led from the Commons and forcibly thrown from the door never
to return.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's not in my nature to defend a Tory MP but there is a Tweet in the article that says he objected because it hadn't been debated.

If he's just being a stickler for procedure then fair enough. But honestly this sort of thing shouldn't need debate.

"Do we all agree that being lecherous perverts is a bad thing? Yes? Good."

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
It's clearly a contentious issue: lawyer Nick Freeman (so-called Mr Loophole) tweeted earlier that women should "assume responsibility for their attire" and thus not place themselves in jeopardy from such people.

Perhaps his wealthy clients who get caught driving whilst shitfaced should assume responsibility for their positions and not buy cars, thus not placing themselves in jeopardy of arrest.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
It's not in my nature to defend a Tory MP but there is a Tweet in the article that says he objected because it hadn't been debated.

If he's just being a stickler for procedure then fair enough. But honestly this sort of thing shouldn't need debate.

"Do we all agree that being lecherous perverts is a bad thing? Yes? Good."

Yes, I have no reason to defend a Tory MP but it is at least worth reading the full piece to see his reasons for objecting. I have no idea how genuine his motives are but I guess if it tightens up the law for the future then it might just be understandable.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44496427

Come on then all you Politicos. Is there some deep rooted reason for this or does he just like taking pictures of ladies knickers?

There is - and it is in your link :shrug:

Sir Christopher is a leading member of a group of backbench Conservatives who make a practice of ensuring that what they see as well-meaning but flabby legislation is not lazily plopped on to the statue book by a few MPs on a poorly attended Friday sitting.

And after all this is a bill to create a new criminal offence, for which people can go to jail.

So, however worthy the cause, he insists on proper, extensive scrutiny, and he has spent most Commons Fridays for the last 20 years doing just that.

Indeed, a few minutes before he blocked the upskirting bill, he was forcing a delay to the final debate on the Mental Health Units (Use of Force) Bill, or Seni's Law, which also had strong support from the government.

The upskirting bill is not dead - there will be other opportunities to get it a formal second reading debate - but they will only succeed if Sir Christopher and his allies can be persuaded not to object again.

The only other alternative is for the government to provide debating time for it, or, far more likely, to add the proposals to a bill of their own.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I fully understand and respect his reason for objecting - making sure the the process is followed and is consistent. However i think there are some things that are just obvious enough to not need it - basic human decency in this case being one of them.

I admire his standpoint, but i think it's a bit of a no-brainer this time that it needs to go through.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Also voted against a Hillsborough debate in favour of one about MPs pensions, and against Alan Turing receiving a pardon.

Nice chap. In touch with the people.

Sounds like he is in the wrong job, I genuinely can't see any objection to an " upskirt "Law. The only hope is that such scorn and ridicule descends upon this man and his objection that the government will be forced to actively support the Bill and push it through. To think that MP's whinge about The lords interfering with Bills !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Another good week for Tories

And yet they are still ahead according to yougov:

Conservatives 42%, Labour 39% (11-12 June)

Shows what a cracking job the plonker Corbyn is doing. Labour would be 20% ahead in the polls with even a half decent leader. :angry:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here