Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Soccer Aid 2018

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don’t think you will.......[emoji23]

The alternative is that you put yourself forward, my guess is that you won’t be as effective in raising large sums of money, and of course I mean this in the nicest possible way[emoji106]

Clearly not. Maybe the celebs should agree to match what the public raise rather than relying on the taxpayer......

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Dunno why they just don't pull the money for HS2 and upgrading nukes. Employee frontline services, teachers, nurses 3rd and then have the telethons for things we don't actually need

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So what is the excuse for Jonathan Wilkes playing then? He's not remotely famous.

Hence the quote marks :lol:

TBH, I had no idea who was playing in it, but he's Robbie Williams' best mate, isn't he? I'm guessing the lineup is a bit like that Jungle fiasco, where there is a sliding scale of 'celebrity' – Wilkes qualifies probably via the X/Y/Z list, having been on telly a bit and seen in and around town with RW back in the day. He may be one of the ones with the ulterior motives I mentioned!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
So what is the excuse for Jonathan Wilkes playing then? He's not remotely famous.

Wilkes has been involved in these games since the start based on his friendship with Williams although he was a West End performer before he became more famous for being mates with Robbie Williams.

He regularly appeared on The Match, the Sky series that pitted a team of celebs (often managed by the late Graham Taylor) against a team of ex pros. The Match is a bit of a pre-cursor to Soccer Aid that Robbie Williams couldn't take part in as he wasn't good enough to make the team, so he created Soccer Aid instead to boost his own ego and get to play alongside/against ex-pros.

Wilkes is one of those celebs who can boast a bit of a playing career having been on the books of Port Vale and Everton as a kid (similar in that respect to Mark Wright from TOWIE).

He still comes across as a bit of a knob though and hates it when people point out he's only there because of who his mate is. Long may it continue.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here