Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Two shootings in north London - 17yo girl dead

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It might be interesting to look up the ratio of police/ citizens in both cities? I would not be surprised if NY had a higher ratio.

The statistics I saw quoted were that NYC has 25% more police officers than London (and London is slightly more populous). This was in the Mail so I can't be 100% certain of that.

Besides the incredible small sample (comparing just a couple of months), another factor will be that NY has decrimininalised marijuana use (provided it's not in public view). My guess (and it's purely supposition) is that a large number of London deaths are drug-related

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
NY still has something like 3 times the number annually that London does, and London has also dropped significantly (almost 50%) in the same period (see [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] post above). Think the concern is that it's starting to rise...............

When I first started travelling to NYC with work, Central Park was (I was told) a complete no-go area after dark (and even in the day people stuck to the 'busy' areas). Now it's mobbed from before 5am to midnight with joggers, walkers, cyclists, fitness groups, dogwalkers etc etc.

When the Met is allocated six-figure sums to keeping open the Madeleine McCann case and persuing flawed historical abuse allegations, you have to wonder where their priorities lie here.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Again a tragedy turns into a fest of political point scoring.

Go off to Argus comments to take the debate to the next level...

Maybe if people took a greater interest in politics and the way government decisions shape our society, there would be less apathy when it comes to elections and policy announcements.

On topics like these, there's always something at fault. Many people - including me - would say that political decisions play a role in this violence.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
The statistics I saw quoted were that NYC has 25% more police officers than London (and London is slightly more populous). This was in the Mail so I can't be 100% certain of that.

Besides the incredible small sample (comparing just a couple of months), another factor will be that NY has decrimininalised marijuana use (provided it's not in public view). My guess (and it's purely supposition) is that a large number of London deaths are drug-related

This. Having lived in London for ~30 years - the areas where this is happening tend to be (although not exclusively) the less affluent regions (Tottenham, parts of South East London & Walthamstow) for example. Gang
culture is rife and, sadly, a lot of young people see this as a way out (money etc). Tragic on so many levels. No opportunities and no hope.

I'm no expert - but that is my take. The economic climate is not helping.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
The communities in these areas need to take some responsibility as I do not believe they don't know who is in what gang and what the latest grievances are. Rather than inform the police in the hope of bringing an end to the violence they keep schtum for fear of being called a grass. Youngsters need to be stopped and searched, irrespective of their nationality, ethnicity, age. The police have a job to do but they cannot do it alone and they need intelligence gathering within the local community in order for police operations to be successful.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I was referring to the increasing intolerance and 'nasty' attitudes of some people which have been emboldened by both Brexit and the likes of Trump, adding to the pre-existing mix of problems mentioned (along with many others as stated), making parts of this country (and others of course) even more unpleasant places to be than they were already. Whatever ones political leanings, if any, it's pretty hard to argue the effects of both have improved society and the way people behave towards one another.

I get it now , a London wannabee gangster watches news at Ten , hears Trump speak and then goes out and stabs somebody .

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I get it now , a London wannabee gangster watches news at Ten , hears Trump speak and then goes out and stabs somebody .

Yes, of course, if you read my posts that's exactly what I was saying.... **shoots self in head**

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
tory government

How many white related gang deaths out of interest ?

cant be many,

Dunno if that is a poverty thing or lifestyle choice though

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Teresa Mays cuts to public services are mainly to blame.

And a poor judicial system where you don't really get much punishment for comitting crime, thus there is no deterrant.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gang
culture is rife and, sadly, a lot of young people see this as a way out (money etc). Tragic on so many levels. No opportunities and no hope.

About 12 years ago, I worked on an after-schools project in an inner-London school. I was talking to one of the teachers about what the kids' plans were. She told me that they'd asked all their Year 10s what they wanted to do in their adult lives. She said that every single boy, without exception, said they wanted to be a footballer, pop singer/rapper or drug dealer. This wasn't in Hackney or Tottenham either.

It's one of the saddest things I've ever heard.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Worryingly, we don't have easy access to guns like the citizens of NYC yet their murder rate is falling..

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Don't know how many millions the government has pumped in to projects over the years to educate people, stay away from gangs, guns, knifes and so on, because it doesn't seem to make any difference. The message isn't getting through. What's the solution?

TEN YEARS for Carrying a Knife in Public. Try and use it 40 years and along Acid attacks LIFE. No Remission. Break Bail AUTOMATIC five years. To many innocent people are dying.

D

Deleted member 22389

TEN YEARS for Carrying a Knife in Public. Try and use it 40 years and along Acid attacks LIFE. No Remission. Break Bail AUTOMATIC five years. To many innocent people are dying.

I think most people would agree with that.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Some of the posts on here are quite worrying.

As soon as they see a photo of the dead girl and that she is obviously bi-racial it seems to have given licence for some posters to target this as a being limited to non whites. That's is a very alarming view.

This is a ''whole of society'' problem. There are the ''haves'' and the ''have nots'' in all corners of the world and this will always happen more among the ''have nots'' in the world.

To use it in a way to look down on and wade into Ethnic Minority Groups is quite disgusting.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Theresa The Razor May has blood on her hands.

As I’ve said the government are not focused on domestic issues one bit due to the all-consuming Brexit talks. Hence there’s rises in serious crime, people being burned alive in tower blocks, MI5 claiming they don’t have enough resources to tackle terrorism, delays with emergency services being able to access bomb scenes. The price you pay for Brexit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here