Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Sudan,Northern White Rhino.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Has been quite a lot of coverage in MSM and maybe a few of us are guilty of not taking the issue seriously (?) however surely enough is enough these animals whether it be Elephants,Lions,Tigers,and the list goes on are amazing and priceless. Where we live someone has a paddock with Five Lamha's and seriously well kept they look at us as we look at them,just a great site to see. Therefore WHY NOT HAVE A SHOOT TO KILL POLICY on BIG GAME HUNTER'S ?:thumbsup:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
there are two other news stories on a similar vein. Many of France's bird species are reduced by 70% (not sure time range) with blame being laid at the use of pesticides though I guess it could be linked to story about Tunisia where 'hunters' just fire shotguns at flocks of migratory birds, not to eat them but for the sport of blasting away at them to see who can get the biggest pile of dead bodies. Mind you we have our own w*nkers who think it is sport to chase a fox with 30 dogs to see it ripped apart. Some sad people out there.

Has been quite a lot of coverage in MSM and maybe a few of us are guilty of not taking the issue seriously (?) however surely enough is enough these animals whether it be Elephants,Lions,Tigers,and the list goes on are amazing and priceless. Where we live someone has a paddock with Five Lamha's and seriously well kept they look at us as we look at them,just a great site to see. Therefore WHY NOT HAVE A SHOOT TO KILL POLICY on BIG GAME HUNTER'S ?:thumbsup:

I'd not heard of the Northern White Rhino until it became extinct, or at least until it was confirmed it would become extinct.

No great loss really.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It doesn't look white to me, more brownish. Seriously, they may try artificial insemination from last late male to keep the species going.

Ok I will take the bait.... why do you believe it is 'no great loss'

Same as Pandas, if they can't be arsed to breed then natural selection means they die out.

Wouldn't be surprised to learn that the poor bàstàrd died from exhaustion after being wànked to death.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'd not heard of the Northern White Rhino until it became extinct, or at least until it was confirmed it would become extinct.

No great loss really.

Without wishing to be too confrontational, I find your flippancy towards the imminent extinction of this sub-species a little upsetting. I will readily admit that none of our lives are blighted by the presence of ‘too many rhinos’ but if we are capable of summarily dismissing a species then where does it stop? We are doing unspeakable things to this planet and we need to develop a healthier appreciation of our fellow creatures very quickly. Just today the press had carried stories of a ‘patch’ of plastic in the Pacific that is twice the size of France, and of a potential projected ecological collapse threatening civilisation within decades. Everything is not a resource for our benefit and we allow the extinction of flora and fauna at our peril.

I feel it might soon be time to break out the rhino costume again. There are approximately 30,000 rhinos in the wild in total. The Javan and Sumatran Rhinos have barely 100 of each remaining. Given that we know these beautiful animals are so critically at risk how can we blithely watch as they are pushed ever closer to the brink?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Same as Pandas, if they can't be arsed to breed then natural selection means they die out.

Wouldn't be surprised to learn that the poor bàstàrd died from exhaustion after being wànked to death.

The wild population was wiped out by poachers .

They just didn't breed in captivity .

Now go and **** yourself to sleep .

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I did see a program recently that human activity is causing a mass extinction event on this planet, bigger and in quicker time than other mass extinction events such as the asteroid that done for the dinosaurs. There is even a name for it similar to the Permian -Triassic one.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I did see a program recently that human activity is causing a mass extinction event on this planet, bigger and in quicker time than other mass extinction events such as the asteroid that done for the dinosaurs. There is even a name for it similar to the Permian -Triassic one.

That name is anthropocene. It is not so much the hunting that is doing for other living beings as the loss of habitat. No-one knows when the tipping point, where the damage to the food chain and lack of diversity, will produce a general breakdown that will impact on humanity (for those who think the loss of any one species is no big deal).

97% of the total mass of animals on the planet today are human beings and their livestock - cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, domesticated fowl etc. Think on that for a few seconds - 97%.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That name is anthropocene. It is not so much the hunting that is doing for other living beings as the loss of habitat. No-one knows when the tipping point, where the damage to the food chain and lack of diversity, will produce a general breakdown that will impact on humanity (for those who think the loss of any one species is no big deal).

97% of the total mass of animals on the planet today are human beings and their livestock - cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, domesticated fowl etc. Think on that for a few seconds - 97%.

I’m fully in support of addressing our negative impact on the environment generally and on the loss of habitat specifically. However, the use of mass as the sole measure of our impact is a little disingenuous, I think. All the animals chosen are pretty heavy when compared to mean mass/species. Other measures that are, imo, valid to consider in assessing our impact include the number of species, and the number of individuals of those species. Both of those measures will yield results lower than 1%.

None of this changes the fact that our impact on the environment and habitat urgently needs addressing - it’s just the use of the most impactful metric (which, arguably, is less relevant to the cause than the two I’ve mentioned) that irks.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I’m fully in support of addressing our negative impact on the environment generally and on the loss of habitat specifically. However, the use of mass as the sole measure of our impact is a little disingenuous, I think. All the animals chosen are pretty heavy when compared to mean mass/species. Other measures that are, imo, valid to consider in assessing our impact include the number of species, and the number of individuals of those species. Both of those measures will yield results lower than 1%.

None of this changes the fact that our impact on the environment and habitat urgently needs addressing - it’s just the use of the most impactful metric (which, arguably, is less relevant to the cause than the two I’ve mentioned) that irks.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that and I don't think I presented the statistic as definitive of anything in particular. Also, I wasn't about to write a treatise on biodiversity. Apart from anything else, I am not qualified to do so. A case of recency rather than primacy; as I had only seen that statistic in the last week or so it was fresh in my mind and one I find genuinely shocking.

However, thanks for putting me right.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

haven't we done well?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's not quite extinct yet. There are still two females alive and plans to use Sudan's sperm in IVF.
The Southern white rhino is so closely related, the females can be used as surrogate mothers for the implanted eggs, to start off a brand new herd.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I remember seeing 2 Southern White Rhinos really up close at Mokolodi Nature Reserve in Botswana. As was pointed out by the guide, you could see why they're rare and so easy for poachers to get at because their eyesight is so poor they didn't realise they were being looked at to begin with and when they did they just turned their heads back round and carried on eating. They weren't aggressive in the slightest and we could have got out the jeep and walked amongst them. Beautiful things.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here