Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
A couple of notes etc. I love that you liked Terry Callier. I first encountered him many, many years ago at my friend Sam's flat at the end of a 48 hour bender. I had had it until he put this CD on and I just went "WHO WAS THAT?". I once toyed with the idea of trying to write a film about a really, really, ordinary person called Joseph just so this could be the opening credits. He's a fascinating guy, a singer, academic and early computer engineer. Sadly passed on, I mourned him like I knew him.

Steve Mason used to be the lead singer of The Beta Band. A few of their members then went on to found The Aliens. I would heartily recommend checking out all three. There is also a musical and familial link to Django Django. i thought I was all over this, subtle trainspotting link wise, but [MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] has outdone me since James Yorkston who I loved in his CD2 has also been instrumental in this scene and directly involved with The Aliens. That's me seeking out James Yorkston albums......

Also really glad you liked Fink because my brother co-produced it. We were discussing the album the other day at his 40th and i love that track like you do. Mind you we were also discussing Sami Hyypia, writing plays, damp, and how many Mojitos it takes to make you miss your last train home. And that's what I can remember.

Jeff Mills is one of the original Detriot techno star DJs. I have a slight obsession. Often he was to be seen playing live with DJ equipment, three decks, a synth and a drum machine so that every set was different. I once saw one of his signed 808 drum machines on ebay for 3 grand and thought "that's quite cheap", not that I had 3k sitting around. The project with the orchestra is my attempt at musical marmite because I haven't yet heard a reaction that isn't either positive or "what a pile of pretentious w**k".

There are at least 6 threads waiting to be started from this post - wasted in the secret Santa section. Or maybe we should keep them to ourselves and be greedy. Plays, the Beta Band and mojitos - three things worthy of discussion at any time. Actually, it's bed time - last day until January tomorrow. Can't wait. BTW, no CD yet and no review of the one I did. Still time though.......

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Oh no. Just got back home after a week away to find no disc.

Flying back to the UK for Christmas tomorrow, so it has to be in tomorrow morning's post or my Christmas is ruined!!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm back from my pre-Christmas road trip and no CD for me either :-(

(also no review of the one I sent)

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
This weeks round up.

So far:

Received, reviewed (Correctly guessed sender)
[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] (Theatre of Trees)
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] (deletebeepbeepbeep)
[MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] (Hans Kraay Fan Club)
[MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION] (Guinness Boy)

Received, reviewed, not yet guessed
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION]

Received but yet to review
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION]
[MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION]
[MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION]

Status unknown - yet to receive
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION]
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION] *I have been informed this has been posted
[MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21502]Razzoo[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15311]The Buttery Biscuit Base[/MENTION]
[MENTION=260]sully[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27736]SouthCoastOwl[/MENTION]

Those whom I have no news if you could PM me an update (If you haven't mentioned it on this thread already), particularly if you have yet to send anything out.

CDs can be posted from this week though the recipient can no longer receive before Christmas - if you do send it out please PM me so I can keep track.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Despite what appears to have been the Post Office's best attempts to destroy the package that arrived today, it's contents seem to have survived the assault and the CD will be given a work out over the next couple of days. :clap:

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Used my emusic subscription to buy Terry Callier, Tony Joe White, Gil Scott-Heron and Fink albums.

NSC Secret Santa definitely worked for me. Thanks [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Used my emusic subscription to buy Terry Callier, Tony Joe White, Gil Scott-Heron and Fink albums.

NSC Secret Santa definitely worked for me. Thanks [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]

You're very welcome.

Worked for me too, I have just set up a couple of new Spotify playlists mainly using Related Artists to the ones I received on my CD and am currently sat playing it through a brand new Sonos with a nice glass of wine and more Sami stories than I can digest. This really is an ace idea if done properly so let's hope everyone gets a CD eventually!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
This weeks round up.

So far:

Received, reviewed (Correctly guessed sender)
[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] (Theatre of Trees)
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] (deletebeepbeepbeep)
[MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] (Hans Kraay Fan Club)
[MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION] (Guinness Boy)

Received, reviewed, not yet guessed
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION]

Received but yet to review
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION]
[MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION]
[MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION]

Status unknown - yet to receive
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION]
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION] *I have been informed this has been posted
[MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21502]Razzoo[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15311]The Buttery Biscuit Base[/MENTION]
[MENTION=260]sully[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27736]SouthCoastOwl[/MENTION]

Those whom I have no news if you could PM me an update (If you haven't mentioned it on this thread already), particularly if you have yet to send anything out.

CDs can be posted from this week though the recipient can no longer receive before Christmas - if you do send it out please PM me so I can keep track.

Loving your work [MENTION=61]Theatre of Trees[/MENTION]

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've been listening to my cd on the way to and from work, but it's not a long enough journey to get more than half the tracks in in one hit.

The review is coming along, but will probably be after Christmas before I complete and post it. Sorry.

In the meantime, I'd just say that my Secret Santa doesn't share much common ground with me in the musical tastes stakes, but I'm finding it an interesting exercise! On my first listen, I didn't look at the track listing first and managed to identify a band I'd not heard anything of for about 25 years!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Cheers.

I'll do another round up tomorrow evening as I've heard from a few more, leaving just three people i've yet to hear from.
My travels have limited my time chaos, but I do have a free Sat and Sunday..... so CD production is top of my list......I will also post s review of the one I received.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Good timing from my Santa, arrived today and It looks promising, I've only heard of 7 of the 21 artists, so lots of new stuff to sink my ears into. Cheers and Merry Christmas to you :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here